“a nurturing experience”

Nurturing Nest Mineral Hot Springs Retreat and Spa
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
seattle, washington
Reviewed June 25, 2006

I came to nurturing nest not knowing what to expect really... Having just turned 40 and in desperate need of an experience that would get me back on track physically and emotionally, I stumbled upon the website one evening. I spoke with Dr Sandy on the phone a couple of times before deciding to go on a 5 day freedom retreat with a master cleanse. It turned out to be the best birthday gift I could have ever given myself. From the minute I stepped into the Nest, I understood that I was in capable hands and I could therefore relax and open myself up to the experience. From morning desert hikes, to yoga and meditation with a mixture of holistic treatments and counseling sessions sprinkled throughout the day, I felt myself slowly being revived.
Nurturing nest is small and intimate. The rooms are comfortable and inviting, and the mineral water heavenly. The owners Dr Sandy and Ram Gune are truly gifted healers who care deeply for the well-being of whomever happens to come through their doors. I can’t thank them enough for their genuine care, warmth and inspiring wisdom.
By the time I left Nurturing Nest, I had a smile on my face I couldn't seem to get rid of.
It is still there a week later.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed May 22, 2006

I just returned from Nurturing Nest, attending a five day "Freedom Retreat" and what an amazing experience it was. The owners,, Dr. Sandi and Ram have designed this retreat in such a unique fashion that it not only helped me cleanse my body-mind and spirit but also offered me tools to achieve lasting peace.
We were only four people from different walks of life- highly stressed with loads emotional pressure on our shoulders.
As I entered the Nurturing Nest, instantly I experienced an amazing tranquility although summer desert heat was blazing.
The eveing started with Dr. Sandi's orientation and general physical exam, testing of body pH and instructions. The evening offered a soulful Transformation breathing session, and I realized I was in for a major " inner" work.
After a master cleanse drink, a delightful soak in the mineral hot springs, we said good night to each other and woke up next day morning to the sounds of chimes.
A hike on the hill across from the Nest was very refreshing as we negotiated the steep trails welcoming the morning desert sun in the color-splashed skies.
The day started. Yoga, meditation, and Ram's teachings of body centered breathing ( I am a Yoga freak but never learned these techniques any where) followed by a great juice.
Dr. Sandi, an accomplised Chiropractor whose hands radiate healing energy, gave me Bio-Energetic Synchronization Technique treatment, opening up floodgates of emotions. After the treatment I realized my back pain disappear.
Next came Ram, who has a masters degree in Counseling Psychology and is trained in Mind-body technique from Harvward Medical school. He has also worked at the Betty Ford Center, and we talked about my "issues" and he right away pinned down my addictions. The next four days we worked on several issues as I gained new insights into my self destructive patterns and together we mapped a healthy life style for me.
Treatments such as Massages, Ayurvedic colon cleansing, liver cleanse, mineral water, Yoga, Hikes, were detoxifying the body while Ram and Sandi's daily treatments were opening up the mind. The medidation technique I learned is helping me calm the mind. I am more por-active than reactive. The grand finale was a native American sweat lodge. While we shed tones of sweat, it took me on a mind jounrey I never experienced before. Sitting in small hut around buring rocks and listening to enchanting songs and drums by the Native American masters under a moonlit sky, praying for peace and seeking healing energy was a an experience simply undescribable.
I have left the Nurturing Nest, but I still wake up in the Nest's cozy bed in my own room, I still listen to the chirping birds, I still watch the sun emerge in the East, and I still hear Ram's words "Yes, you can make it, if you work for it." And yes, I am taking good care of myself. Thanks a million.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank sgune
London
Reviewed May 7, 2006

For those who seek to nourish their mind, body and spirit, this is the place! An oasis of calm in the desert. Run by two highly skilled and dedicated holistic practitioners this place will really nurture and revive you. I came seeking a mix of pampering body treatments as well as a touch of holistic health care and some emotional work. The loving spirit of this unique venue and the people who both manage the "Nest" as well as those who treated me here confirmed in my mind that I had found the right place. If you want a truly holsitic experience the Nurting Nest is the place to come!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed February 2, 2006

Peace and tranquility galore- I have been to several small retreat-type places in Desert Hot Springs and this time decided to try the Nurturing Nest and I was extremely happy that I finally found the place I loved.
Beautiful mountain views, serene indoor spa, soothing outdoor swimming pool, minimally designed clean rooms, warm and friendly hosts, healthy breakfast, and person-centered treatments-- all did wonders to my stressed out body and mind. Compared to other similar places the room rates here are moderate and setting intimate.
If you are looking or five-star luxury "Hotel" stay, go to Palm Springs or Rancho Mirage. But if you love elements, nature and its brilliant hues, this is the place.
Enjoy

• Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 24, 2006

I sit alone in a painted room of vibrant royal blue and kindergarten yellow cinderblock walls. White paneled ceiling tiles four by six feet create a pattern of white on white. Rail light fixtures bent in a soft S curve hover over my plastic webbed lounge chair and the adjacent mineral pool. This has been my world for the past three days.

My legs take me down the turquoise blue painted steps into the hot mineral water heated to 106 degrees. The steam slowly rises off the surface in the early morning hours when the air is still cool from the nighttime desert breezes. My arms reach out for a pink Styrofoam noodle to rest across my back and under my arms. I stretch out my legs and float, allowing the pool pump that brings in the heated water to move my body. I am weightless, gliding counter clockwise in the 20 by 20 foot pool. As I pass the pump, a burst of heat pulses out, reminding me that this nurturing water comes from deep inside the earth, near the core which is molten hot and alive. I stare up at the ceiling, watching the sun’s reflection of the pool, dancing in rhythm to the gentle waves of the water while the mild breezes floating through the open window kiss my damp skin.

Wall to wall windows provide a picture to the area surrounding my nurturing nest, but I stay inside. Desert Hot Springs, where spas line Palm Avenue up the hill as far as the eye can see. My nurturing nest sits two streets off the beaten path on Sunset Avenue. The San Jacinto mountains lend a picturesque backdrop to the quiet retreat. A palm tree grows tall outside my window, providing a calm reflection of its fronds in my reflecting pool. Yet for all the beauty the desert has to offer, I sit nested next to my nurturing hot pool, looking at the cement statue of a Buddhist monk, listening to the constant bubbling fountain behind me, whose calming gurgles float through the air, reminding me that in life I could have peace. All I need to do is follow my heart and look within me—take care of myself, nurture my mind, nurture my body, nurture my spirit.

While people come, go and disrupt my life, I will take a piece of this calming retreat home with me and remember the peace.

• Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank sandylevin
Reviewed June 20, 2005

Well, I guess many people loved this place. I however felt differently. I actually ended up cancelling my reservation when I arrived. It was not what I expected after viewing the web site. It was very run down and dirty looking (or "rustic" as others have described). I guess it was just not my thing...it might be right for some, but be wary of the web site. If you are looking for luxury, this is not the place (try "the springs"). The owner was nice and did not charge us for the cancellation.

Stayed: March 2005
6  Thank eckoamy
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed May 5, 2005

It was birthday time again, and I desperately needed to get away. The adventurer that I am I went searching on the web, and found this wonderful place call Nurturing Nest.

Nurturing Nest is a small Haven of Rest, a quiet unpretentious place, with a
wonderful warm, soothing mineral pool that one can use anytime.
No TV, a radio with cd player, beds like feather pillows.

Meditation in the morning, granola, fruit, and tea or coffee for breakfast.
Numerous restaurants surrounding the facility in the immediate Hot Springs area, and Palm Springs is only 15 minutes away, with wonderful shopping and eateries as well.

If by chance you're interested in fasting and cleansing, these services are offered. If you're looking for fancy don't go here, but if you're looking
for peace and quiet and the beauty of nature this would be the place.
Nurturing Nest is a simple place for the individual looking to get away, to
rest, reflect, renew and refresh themselves.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member