“You have to stay to understand how truly wonderful this retreat Is!”

Nurturing Nest Mineral Hot Springs Retreat and Spa
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Reviewed April 25, 2011

My husband and I were in the Palm Springs area because we had tickets to one of the concerts at Coachella. We decided to make it a long weekend to relax, get away from it all, visit some art galleries, eat at some nice restaurants and do a little shopping. I looked for a place to stay in Palm Springs first, but the hotels were so expensive, were crowded and just didn't seem like they would be relaxing enough. Normally, we love hanging out where there's a lot going on, but this trip, we just wanted to chill and spend some quality time with each other.

I found the Nurturing Nest during my searches on TripAdvisor, and it was second on my list. (There weren't really too many reviews on TripAdvisor, so I didn't have much to go on.) I first looked at the Sagewater Spa, and it was more expensive and they didn't have a room with a king-sized bed available for the dates we needed. I called the Nurturing Nest and spoke with Jason, which is what initially sold me on the place. Jason was so nice. Just really, really nice. I figured it would be worth a shot, and I'm so glad that we stayed here.

The retreat...which is the perfect description of this place...is a small, 7-room, sheltered space half-way up the foothills in Desert Hot Springs. The place is owned by Ramesh Gune and his wife, and Jason is the on-site manager. Jason is a transplant from Kansas and is such a nice, mellow person. He really made us feel welcome. When we arrived, he showed us around, explained everything, and then was friendly whenever we met him on the property. Plus, he gave us a free upgrade to room #7, which is like a big "studio plus" apartment, with a nice couch, king bed, armoire, bathroom and kitchen with a bistro table for two and all the dishes you'd need to cook for yourself. And Ramesh was very warm. He showed us each of the rooms that were empty when we were checking out -- all of them are really big! -- and just chatted with us for a while. They also didn't mind when we asked for a late checkout!

They have spent the last few years upgrading the facilities, and each room is now decorated in very clean, minimalistic fashion - imagine tasteful (not cheap) IKEA and upscale Eurovas furniture, with Asian-style accents. The decor in each room is warm and inviting without being obtrusive. The pictures of the property don't do the place justice. It's really nice - inviting without having to be high-design or pretentious - and we have stayed at super fancy places like the Ritz-Carlton and the Fairmonts before, so when I say we were comfortable and pleased, I mean it. Most of the rooms have kitchens, and two rooms have patios (#7 & #1). As I said, we stayed in #7 and it was beautiful.

None of the rooms have TVs or phones, although there is free high-speed wireless internet, which worked great. Cell phone reception was no problem. But that's kind of the point...you want to disconnect! There is a yoga / meditation room that doubles as a treatment room, and if you want to book any massages or services, Jason will help you with that. When it's not used, you can sit in there and utilize their small library. Outside there is a pool with water kept at around 90 degrees and lots of seating and a futon to hang out on. But the crowning glory of this place, other than the people, is the indoor, mineral hot spring pool. It's huge, is open 24 hours a day, and has the most luxurious water. We spent so much time just soaking in it. Jason provides towels in the hot springs area, and a light breakfast of tea, coffee, granola, yogurt and fruit is served every morning from 7:30 - 10:00 a.m. each morning there. There are so few people at the retreat that we mostly had the mineral pool to ourselves. And it's truly a luxury to be able to go in at any time of day or night. Housekeeping services are by request only, and we didn't ask for them, but Jason would be the person to help if you needed something like that.

There aren't any resort fees or extra costs. We paid for the room and since we didn't get any treatments, that was it.

The retreat is about 20 minutes drive down Palm Dr. directly into the heart of Palm Springs, so you don't have to get on the freeway and you're not too isolated, even though it feels like you're in the boonies. (Desert Hot Springs doesn't really offer anything to do...it's not like Joshua Tree or Palm Springs, so don't expect to spend time there.) I will say one thing about Desert Hot Springs...and that is that it is SUPER WINDY when the high desert winds blow. Don't be surprised...the gusts are truly strong!

We definitely want to go back and enjoy the retreat again. It's now on our list of places to go to get away from LA!

Room Tip: Pick the patio rooms!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Neha P

Reviewed March 14, 2011

I decided to go to Nurturing Nest to clear my mind and re-focus on my life. By spending just five days I walked away with a different outlook on life which helped my marriage and helped me achieve inner piece. I strongly recommend this retreat to all but especially to those who feel that there is something more to life that they simply cannot see. I walked away with a sense of clarity that I've been searching for a long time. Don't wait give yourself five days and see how your life can change for the better... mentally, physically and spiritually!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2010

i love this little magic getaway. its the perfect place to relax and enjoy the natural hot springs in their fantastic large hot tub or do yoga in the lovely garden next to the pool.
the rooms are clean and comfortable and the authentic kitchen perfect to prepare your own food.
i cant wait to come back!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank karinhaase
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I stumble upon "the nurturing nest" about 3 years ago and i keep coming back whenever i have a chance. Jim, Sandy and Ram are kind, honest and simply put: truly NICE people!
I would recommend this place to everyone who is searching for relaxation, perhaps a cleanse and to someone who wants to rejuvenate their soul.
Actually, Im going back tomorrow for labor day 2010!! can't wait!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank fabush
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I stayed in August of 2009, so I can't comment any more on the state of the facilities at present. But I wanted to let anyone who has found the Nurturing Nest and feels an intuitive call to go, to trust that guidance.

I waited a full year to post my review because so many "transformational" programs leave you feeling good - you finally took some time for yourself -- but don't necessarily produce lasting change.

My time at the Nurturing Nest with Sandi and Ram was truly transformational. My life today is radically different (better!) than when I arrived a year ago. The insights and releases I experienced there have blossomed with integrity.

The facilities are calming, the pools very sacred, and there is an amazing energy here to assist you with healing if you are ready. Ram and Sandi have the skills to deliver on their promise of deep release and freedom.

I often daydream about my time at the Nurturing Nest - one of my favorite places ever.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank SoulSparkCoach
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We stayed the weekend of March 19, 20 2010. My wife Lisa and I (Tom) needed a relaxing weekend and the Nurturing Nest provided it. From the moment we arrived, we felt energy that was similar to a vortex at Sedona. A very high energy. The owners, Ram and Sandy, and the office manager, Jim, are very kind. We took a meditation/yoga class with Ram and a guest, Jake, who was staying for a private retreat. Ram taught us a few exercises; one of which is used to charge the energy field, and we really enjoyed meeting and meditating with Jake. We also got a couple of other treatments which we both thoroughly enjoyed. Lisa got the Total Tune-up and I learned the Transformational Breathing. I've been wanting to learn a breathing technique for relaxing and releasing emotions; the technique Sandy teaches worked very well. Amazingly I was able to release some emotions that have been a serious problem, left over from a divorce ten years ago. It has been almost a month and they haven't returned.
Most of the time we spent going from one pool to the other. The indoor pool is at approximately 105 degrees, and the outdoor pool is room temperature. As you can see from the pictures both pools are large enough for all the guests at once, but usually you are alone in the pools. The water was awesome, thicker than normal. I spent as much time as possible in it :)
The grounds and rooms were very clean and functional. I was expecting simplicity from reading other reviews. Even so, when I arrived I found myself desiring more amenities at first. As we started noticing the way the place and the people felt we quickly acclimated to the environment and jumped into the spa. We really needed to relax, being that we work stressful jobs, and once we did, that was all that mattered. It was great. Thanks Jim, for helping with the pictures.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EmbraceThisMoment
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I came to this place to get out of the hustle and bustle of la. The owners were very nice and the place itself was very cozy. The water was very soothing and healing. After a very exhausting weekend at work it felt good to relax and sleep in. The place is very clean and rejuvenating. i AM looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple