“I think I'm being chariable with two dots rather than one”

Capri Italian Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 8th Street
Transit: Sunline Line Route 14 stops across from the hotel.
Description: THE LEGENDARY CAPRI RESTAURANT ISNOW AT MIRACLE SPRINGS RESORT & SPAThe popular Capri Restaurant, a Desert Hot Springs landmark for 35 years, is now at Miracle Springs Resort & Spa. At the helm is 3rd generation Chef Anthony Santucci, grandson of founders John Sr. and Julia Santucci. The Capri features fine Italian dining, specializing in hand-cut to order 16-ounce steaks, homemade Italian sausage, homemade desserts and seasonal local produce. Daily Specials are inspired by the latest trends in fine dining. A separate dining room is available for groups and functions.
british columbia
“I think I'm being chariable with two dots rather than one”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

One member of our party had fond memories of Desert Hot Springs from many years ago, so we took a drive out here from Palm Desert. The place is a bit off the beaten track by now, with serious development further down the valley and the town has a forlorn air about it. We found this hotel and the advertised sign for the Capri restaurant, and first impressions were quite encouraging, so in we went for lunch.

The outdoor seating in the inner courtyard and pool area is very pleasant, but that's probably where the positives end. Our waiter was very amiable, but somewhat harried. I got the impression that he was doing his very best, surrounded by some colleagues who were pretty clueless.

Our food orders were kept fairly simple - sandwiches and a lasagne. It took quite a while for them to materialise, the lasagne was barely lukewarm and the sandwiches were pretty dry and unappetising. I think prewarmed, premade and not much thought goes into the food preparation.

The blandness of the food was counterbalanced by the entertainment of watching the organised chaos around us. My impression was that the place wasn't exactly busy but things just didn't seem to go right. My later order of coffee from our original waitress never materialised, the drinks orders at a table opposite us took about 45 minutes, the table at the rear seemed to be missing a plate and our food order had something extra on the tray that the waiters couldn't find a home for.

All in all, memorable but probably for the wrong reasons.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank ikelmay
Reggie B, Guest Relations Manager at Capri Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Hi, thanks for sharing. I'm sorry your sandwiches were a bit dry. My dad owns the Miracle Springs Resort, and your satisfaction is very important to us. The food is great and the prices are affordable, and thats generally a given in my experiences, but we need to make sure that we are operating efficiently at all times. Thank you for pointing out something that we can learn from.

Best regards,
Reggie Bickford

Palm Springs
“Great Food at an Affordable Price”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

A food dynasty returns to Desert Hot Springs. Casual atmosphere with really good steaks. Best part, is the wine sauce steaks are drizzled with, it gives it that extra yumminess! This is not a highend steakhouse so do not compare it to Ruth's Chris, Sullivans or Flemings. Don't get me wrong, I love many of the steakhouses in the Palm Springs area and eat at them frequently, but dollar for dollar, Capri offers good quality food without breaking the bank. Give it a try, you won't be dissappointed!

Visited March 2014
Thank you for the 5 Star review! Hope to have you dine again with us soon.

Reggie B
Glendora, California
“Subpar”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I think the quality of food is good, but the chef isn't very good. Not thrilled with the seating arrangement, and the prices are too high for what you receive.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank ruth o
Reggie B, Guest Relations Manager at Capri Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are looking into a restaurant redesign. The prices are great!! But I appreciate your opinion.

ReggieB
Desert Hot Springs, California
“Used to be great; not any more!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is a sad decline from its height. Long time family members are no longer involved in this version of the restaurant. Ordered pasta with meat sauce and it came out with plain tomato; asked for it to be changed out and same plate returned to me with the statement, "Chef says it's the right sauce". Service is spotty and the overall attitude is "your not so welcome." Gone are the days of family visiting with customers and genuinely happy to see you. I was sometimes in the joint two or three times a week.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Tim R
Reggie B, Public Relations Manager at Capri Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your review. I just picked up my cloths at the dry cleaners you own down the street, remind me to leave you a good review... my shirts were spotless.

I am a big supporter of patronizing local businesses, and we hope to retain you as a customer. We will buy your next dinner, just email me at reggieb@miraclesprings.com.

Reggie B
Desert Hot Springs, California
“Capri restaurant”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Since it changed hands to food is terrible. I have gone back 3 times, thinking that perhaps I was been too judgemental, but the truth is the food has not changed.
Their Thanksgiving day special was horrible, flat tasting to say the least.
Their crab cakes were too small and flat tasting.
I attended a luncheon yesterday, catered by Capri Restaurant, and their vegetable lasagne was burnt and flat, I tasted their pot roast beef and same thing, tasteless, some one shared a piece of their chicken with me and it was tolarable. However their red cake was very good.
But to be fair their waiters and waitresses are good and able to accommodate their patrons.
Their prices are high for the quality of food they serve.
I will not be going back .

• Visited March 2014
Hi Alicia,

Thank you for your opinion. I do have to say though, as a personal resident of the hotel, I absolutely love the food and we have extremely low prices and an amazing full scale menu. That's generally what folks compliment us the most on.

Your compliments on customer service are great to hear, the best compliment we can get.

Reggie Bickford