“Refreshed and revitalized at Living Waters Spa”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Desert Hot Springs
Living Waters Clothing-optional Spa
Olympia, Washington
“Refreshed and revitalized at Living Waters Spa”
Reviewed January 20, 2010

My husband and I recently spent 11 days at the Living Waters Spa. We arrived stressed and tired and left feeling ready to face the world again.

We've done naturist resorts before and as far as amenities, there is not a lot out of the ordinary (pool, jacuzzi, sun-bathing area). However, it is Jeff and Judy, Allie and Desi who make this such a memorable trip.

Jeff and Judy have created a place where people can feel accepting of their bodies and others. It's like camp, but without the ugly clothes, tiresome hikes, and sing-a-longs. And alcohol is offered (sangria, in addition to a non-alcoholic hibiscus tea) at snack time!

If that doesn't get you interested, then how about the opportunity to have an amazing massage? I had massages from both Allie and Desi and they were both AMAZING!!! They credit Jeff and Judy (who are also massage therapists) for their expert techniques, so you can be rest assured that whoever gives you a massage, it will be great. Also, there are free yoga classes on Saturday and Sunday mornings with Allie. If the weather is nice, it's outside, which is a great experience. Whether you want a gentle stretch or to push yourself, Allie will do her best to create a yoga session that addresses your wishes.

Now the disclaimers: You'll need a car. Nothing is too close. If you want a lot of activities from a hotel where you stay, this is probably not a good choice. Showers in the hotel rooms are small. If you're staying for a long period of time, consider the condo units. The hotel property is small.

Last exclamations: This is a GREAT place to come and relax. If you've never done clothing-optional resorts, this is a good first step. If you have, it's a refreshing change of pace. If you're here more than a few days, you'll probably leave knowing that you've had a great rest and have met people you'll never forget. We did.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
San Francisco CA
Reviewed January 18, 2010

I'm a student who travelled solo to SoCal during winter break from schooI. I stayed at Living Waters Spa for four days in total, split into two segments that bookended a road trip. The weather was glorious throughout - what a treat in January! My only regret is that I was not able to book a longer stay. It was a wonderful retreat and I felt completely rested and mellow after the first day! I didn't have a massage but hear they are excellent.

The place is small and intimate but there is enough space for everyone to find their spot in the sun. The fact that it has a history dating back to the 60's as a Spa-Hotel was interesting to me and the original neon sign still burns at night. It's original retro character has been preserved but updated beautifully. They even have the original sauna with a beautifully aged wood interior. The mineral water that feeds the Spa is also available cold from a drinking fountain on site. I drank gallons of it while there, it tasted wonderful!

I decided to stay here after also considering the Terra Cotta Inn, but I was so glad I chose Living Waters. I was looking for a place where I could go as a solo female traveller and feel welcome and comfortable. At Living Waters I was made extremely welcome although I was the only solo guest there. It was fun sitting in the pool and chatting with the other guests and Jeff and Judy, the very gracious owners. It was easy to be sociable or to have quiet time to myself to read and sunbathe. I noted that many of the other guests had stayed before and loved the place.

I have plenty of clothing optional experience so I wasn't shy about stripping off, but I noticed that the owners made sure the atmosphere was pleasant and relaxed for those who might have been uncertain about going au naturel. I would highly recommend this place for a first timer.

I stayed in rooms 4 and 6, both with full kitchens and king size beds. They look out onto the attractive pool area and the mountains beyond as mentioned on their website. Rooms were spotless; cute bathrooms and blissfully comfortable beds. No TV's so bring dvds and a laptop if you can't manage without a flickering screen! I found a few days without the Box was good for the soul. Good wireless internet on site.

You will need a car to stay here and get around Desert Hot Springs and into Palm Springs etc. There is bus route vaguely in the vicinity but it didn't look too frequent. But that probably goes without saying anywhere in SoCal. Desert Hot Springs is a small, charming, friendly city that has a more down to earth vibe than it's glossier neighbour Palm Springs. I preferred having DHS as my base; it was earthy and relaxed, complementing the feel of the Spa.

Overall, I can't recommend Living Waters Spa enough and I will be back for sure!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
laghuna beach
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Wow! I am a first timer for a clothing optional spa and I am so thankful that Living Waters Spa was my first experience! Jeff and the Judy are the ultimate hosts with their kindness, respect , and bliss with which they enhance every detail of their spa. I was very impressed with the condo and all the love and time spent on every detail. The pools and sauna were blissful and I came home feeling so relaxed. I live in Laguna Beach and it is a simple 2 hour drive to an amazing "hide away". Will I be back!? You betch' ya and I am looking forward to sharing this oasis in the desert with my friends from all over the world.. Peace and blessings to you Jeff, Judy, Alli and Desiree and thank you for saying YES to creating a sanctuary for all to enjoy!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
So Cal
Reviewed January 13, 2010

Jeff and Judy are the consummate Hosts and out stay was absolutely perfect! We relaxed in the Hot Sun (in December while the rest of the Nation, including Florida, Froze!). We talked with our new friends all day long in the warm mineral waters in the Spa. We had the most incredible massages (everyone there is a professional masseuse/masseur, and my wife came out after 1.5 hours as relaxed as a bowl of Jello). We did morning yoga stretching with a large class...and we are new to yoga, but it was totally user-friendly. And New Years Eve was a total success!
If you get a chance to spend a week or even several days at Living Waters Spa, you will want to return as often as possible, like us, and you will wonder why it took you so long to discover this incredible Oasis in the Beautiful California Desert!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Corvallis, OR
Reviewed January 11, 2010

The LWS website does a good job of explaining the European spa aspects of Living Waters and it lives up to that billing. What my wife & I found additionally rewarding during our week there was the warmth of the staff and diversity of the guests.

Very noticeable at arrival was an air of calmness, professionalism and acceptance. It wasn't long before the LWS folks felt less like staff and more like family. We each received multiple massages and agreed that they were at once technically excellent and lovingly applied. We also participated in and enjoyed the yoga classes.

During the week we enjoyed meeting and spending time with other guests. Their backgrounds and conversations were always interesting & entertaining.

We were also fortunate at various times during the week to have a parent and (grown) children stop by. They were made welcome and greatly enjoyed their visits.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Alamitos, CA
Reviewed December 16, 2009

We discovered Living Waters a few years ago on one of our sojourns to the desert. Like many others, this was our first experience at a clothing optional resort, and we were a bit nervous and apprehensive. But the owners Jeff and Judy are great at making first-timers feel at ease, and realize that being sans clothing is liberating and not that big a deal.

The facility is a small old motel (mid-century vintage) that has been completely renovated, even retaining the original neon signage. The resort is oriented around a pool and spa that are fed by natural springs, so no chlorine! And the views of the mountains from the spa are killer.

The massages are among the best either my wife or I have had. Jeff and Judy are both skilled massage therapists, and the couples massage is highly recommended. We normally do a day use in connection with a massage, and have only stayed here once, but the rooms are nice . . clean and simple without a lot of distractions (meaning no TV).

We almost always schedule a day here when we come to the desert. Great place to relax and rejuvenate.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Law Vegas
Reviewed November 14, 2009

My wife and I wanted to slip away from our busy professional lives and young children to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. We decided to go to a spa, and wanted something quiet and off the beaten track. We live in Las Vegas and wanted the opposite of the corporate style here. We had been to Two Bunch in 2003 (our last spa getaway) and had a wonderful experience at that time. but wanted to try something new. So we kept looking and found this place while browsing the internet.

We are 40 and 50 year old professionals and had not tried a clothing optional spa before, so this was a step for us. However, the owners took the extra effort to answer our questions, and then were very helpful in accomodating our last minute scheduling hassles.

We were a bit nervous as we pulled up. But we were immediately put at ease by the intimate, clean facilities, the wonderful owners and the other friendly guests of varied ages (mostly repeats) with whom we enjoyed chatting. We have had a fair amout of massages in Las Vegas and other places when have traveled. The massages and treatments we had at Living Waters were particularly fulfilling and memorable, far superior to what we have previously experienced. We loved sitting in the wonderful pools and just reading and relaxing. This place is definitely a repeat for us in 2010.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Desert Hot Springs
Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Water Spa
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Wate...
#8 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
#18 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
Lido Palms Resort and Spa
Lido Palms Resort and Spa
#9 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs

Been to Living Waters Clothing-optional Spa? Share your experiences!