“What a find!”

The Spring Resort & Spa
Los Angeles, California
“What a find!”
Reviewed March 16, 2007

I went to the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells, but wanted to stay someplace quiet after all the hubub of the touranament. Someone mentioned this small enchantingly quiet place, so I called and was lucky enough to get a room for the two nights. It's the place I have always been looking for. Quiet, personal attention in an oasis like setting. I topped off the stay with a wonderful combination deep tissue Swedish massage. The best in ten years. It reminded me of an amazing massage I once had at Esalen. This is a place for that absolute get away from everything. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 16, 2007

This is the perfect getaway. You really feel like you're not in the world anymore. All you hear is the wind and birds. The rooms are beautiful. My boyfriend and I went there and cooked dinner in our room kitchen that had everything we need. It was the best place for a romantic and relaxing weekend. I didn't want to leave! We're already planning on going back!

Stayed January 2007
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 15, 2007

A friend recommended it highly. My husband and I had to get away from the work pressure. We were not disappointed. Eight rooms high above the town overlooking the valley with the mountain above Palm Springs in the distance. Quiet!! Great room. Comfortable bed. The pool and the hot tubs with great natural mineral water. We had several treatments all with wonderful massueses with great personalities. We didn't want to leave. We booked a weekend, but next time it will be longer.

• Liked — Secluded and quiet
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed March 14, 2007

My husband and I spent a few days here. It was the perfect place for us -- he wanted to hike in Joshua Tree, and I wanted to relax at a spa. The Spring is a small place. The rooms and facilities are clean and pleasant, and the staff is friendly. They provide a basic breakfast consisting of a few types of cereal, coffee, juice, and fruit.

It *is* a bit new agey (for example, they offer fasting/cleansing retreats), and people who aren't into that might be a little worried. But it was not an issue at all -- it's totally possible to ignore it and just have a nice, relaxing vacation.

I spent most of my time there lounging by the pool and reading. The mineral hot springs are nice, and so is the sauna. I got a pretty good Swedish massage, and the price was very reasonable for a place like this. I also took the yoga class on the lawn (which cost $9). The first half of the class consisted of challenging poses, which I enjoyed. (The second half was a bit too new agey for me.)

I really can't figure out what's wrong with the surrounding neighborhood. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading some of the reviews here. The Spring advises visitors *not* to follow the Yahoo/Mapquest directions -- according to another reviewer, this is to make sure you don't drive through unpleasant areas that might mess up your tranquil spa experience. But we *did* follow Mapquest directions, and it struck me as a decent, safe neighborhood with friendly people. The only drawback is the lack of restaurants or stores within walking distance -- you have to drive to get anywhere.

• Liked — Very peaceful, relaxing place
  • Disliked — Have to drive to get to restaurants and stores
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CAKoshka
los angeles, ca
Reviewed March 13, 2007

I had never stayed at a spa before. I stayed at The Spring mostly because my wife wanted to, while I wanted to hike in nearby Joshua Tree National Park.

However, I loved The Spring! It is a small, quiet, relaxing place. Once you get in, you will find it hard to leave. The rooms are stylish and tastefully decorated. The kitchen is well equipped. The staff is very nice - they take good care of their guests. They offer a healthy breakfast, and they also have wine which is very reasonably priced.

If you keep reading the rest of the reviews, you should disregard all the complaints about The Spring's location. I have no idea what these people are talking about. Certainly, they must have known from the name of the town that The Spring is located IN THE DESERT. Or perhaps their complaints referred to a bunch of gas stations and fast-food places about half a mile away. Give me a break.

My only suggestion for improvement is that The Spring displays small signs of disrepair here and there - in our room (#4) the fire detector had dislodged from the ceiling. In the sauna, one of the towel hangers had dislodged from the wall and needed to be screwed back in.

But overall, I had a wonderful experience there, and I hope to come back soon.

Stayed March 2007
Hawaii
Reviewed March 13, 2007

This is a hard review to write because the front desk staff, especially Martin was fantastic. I brought my daughter for her birthday. The accomodations and the hot springs facilities were small but quaint---just what we were looking for.

I had a sad experience during my facials listening to the personal problems of my esthetician. I really felt in empathy for her but I was bummed--it was such a negative experience. I thought surely the next day my massage will be better. I was wrong. I had Joyce and probably the worse massage of my life. I lived next door to a massage school and have had a lot of beginner massages. This person was comparable to a beginner and I felt I was overcharged at $100/hour. I got a $25/hour massage.

I voiced my opinion to Marie, the owner, (I think) but was given nothing other than a sympathetic ear. That was also disappointing because I felt it took a lot of effort on my part to even bring this situation to her attention. It was brushed off as "Joyce is having personal problems." I commented that this was the problem with my first day's treatment.

Fortunately, my daughter's treatments were much better. She had Margo, so I guess it would be safe to request her. Two nights and five treatments for two days cost just under $1,000. Not a very good value for the money.

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank Maui_WorldTraveler
los angeles
Reviewed March 12, 2007

The owner was the rudest person I have ever encountered. They moved my massage appointment to a different time and did not even notify me. When I arrived, they accused me of being late and were extremely rude. They messed up the bookings for my other two friends and did not even apologize. The treatments were sub par at best. When we checked out they messed up on our bill and were once again extremely rude. I left The Spring more stressed out than when I arrived. We were so dissatisfied with the treatments and customer service that we went down the street and paid an entry fee to swim at another facility. I would never go back to this place and would highly discourage anyone from spending their time and money at this facility.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
8 Thank jthompsonLosAngeles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Desert Hot Springs
Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
#5 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Water Spa
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Wate...
#8 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
#10 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
Andreas Hotel & Spa
Andreas Hotel & Spa
#9 of 73 in Palm Springs

Been to The Spring Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!