“Secluded hideaway”

The Spring Resort & Spa
Los Angeles
“Secluded hideaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2007

A friend recommended it highly. My husband and I had to get away from the work pressure. We were not disappointed. Eight rooms high above the town overlooking the valley with the mountain above Palm Springs in the distance. Quiet!! Great room. Comfortable bed. The pool and the hot tubs with great natural mineral water. We had several treatments all with wonderful massueses with great personalities. We didn't want to leave. We booked a weekend, but next time it will be longer.

• Liked — Secluded and quiet
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2007

My husband and I spent a few days here. It was the perfect place for us -- he wanted to hike in Joshua Tree, and I wanted to relax at a spa. The Spring is a small place. The rooms and facilities are clean and pleasant, and the staff is friendly. They provide a basic breakfast consisting of a few types of cereal, coffee, juice, and fruit.

It *is* a bit new agey (for example, they offer fasting/cleansing retreats), and people who aren't into that might be a little worried. But it was not an issue at all -- it's totally possible to ignore it and just have a nice, relaxing vacation.

I spent most of my time there lounging by the pool and reading. The mineral hot springs are nice, and so is the sauna. I got a pretty good Swedish massage, and the price was very reasonable for a place like this. I also took the yoga class on the lawn (which cost $9). The first half of the class consisted of challenging poses, which I enjoyed. (The second half was a bit too new agey for me.)

I really can't figure out what's wrong with the surrounding neighborhood. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading some of the reviews here. The Spring advises visitors *not* to follow the Yahoo/Mapquest directions -- according to another reviewer, this is to make sure you don't drive through unpleasant areas that might mess up your tranquil spa experience. But we *did* follow Mapquest directions, and it struck me as a decent, safe neighborhood with friendly people. The only drawback is the lack of restaurants or stores within walking distance -- you have to drive to get anywhere.

• Liked — Very peaceful, relaxing place
  • Disliked — Have to drive to get to restaurants and stores
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CAKoshka
los angeles, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2007

I had never stayed at a spa before. I stayed at The Spring mostly because my wife wanted to, while I wanted to hike in nearby Joshua Tree National Park.

However, I loved The Spring! It is a small, quiet, relaxing place. Once you get in, you will find it hard to leave. The rooms are stylish and tastefully decorated. The kitchen is well equipped. The staff is very nice - they take good care of their guests. They offer a healthy breakfast, and they also have wine which is very reasonably priced.

If you keep reading the rest of the reviews, you should disregard all the complaints about The Spring's location. I have no idea what these people are talking about. Certainly, they must have known from the name of the town that The Spring is located IN THE DESERT. Or perhaps their complaints referred to a bunch of gas stations and fast-food places about half a mile away. Give me a break.

My only suggestion for improvement is that The Spring displays small signs of disrepair here and there - in our room (#4) the fire detector had dislodged from the ceiling. In the sauna, one of the towel hangers had dislodged from the wall and needed to be screwed back in.

But overall, I had a wonderful experience there, and I hope to come back soon.

Stayed March 2007
Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2007

This is a hard review to write because the front desk staff, especially Martin was fantastic. I brought my daughter for her birthday. The accomodations and the hot springs facilities were small but quaint---just what we were looking for.

I had a sad experience during my facials listening to the personal problems of my esthetician. I really felt in empathy for her but I was bummed--it was such a negative experience. I thought surely the next day my massage will be better. I was wrong. I had Joyce and probably the worse massage of my life. I lived next door to a massage school and have had a lot of beginner massages. This person was comparable to a beginner and I felt I was overcharged at $100/hour. I got a $25/hour massage.

I voiced my opinion to Marie, the owner, (I think) but was given nothing other than a sympathetic ear. That was also disappointing because I felt it took a lot of effort on my part to even bring this situation to her attention. It was brushed off as "Joyce is having personal problems." I commented that this was the problem with my first day's treatment.

Fortunately, my daughter's treatments were much better. She had Margo, so I guess it would be safe to request her. Two nights and five treatments for two days cost just under $1,000. Not a very good value for the money.

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank Maui_WorldTraveler
los angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2007

The owner was the rudest person I have ever encountered. They moved my massage appointment to a different time and did not even notify me. When I arrived, they accused me of being late and were extremely rude. They messed up the bookings for my other two friends and did not even apologize. The treatments were sub par at best. When we checked out they messed up on our bill and were once again extremely rude. I left The Spring more stressed out than when I arrived. We were so dissatisfied with the treatments and customer service that we went down the street and paid an entry fee to swim at another facility. I would never go back to this place and would highly discourage anyone from spending their time and money at this facility.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
8 Thank jthompsonLosAngeles
Cape Cod, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2007

This was my first time staying at the Spring and it will most definitely NOT be the last!!! I had SUCH an amazing time there I could have stayed for weeks. I went out for a five day trip of rest and relaxation and couldn't have asked for more. Everyone that I met there was very friendly and courteous, both the guests and the employees. As a guest I felt comfortable casually talking with other guests in passing but enjoyed my time alone to enjoy the serenity and peacefulness of the Spring. One of the employees, Stephanie Sarwas, was particularly helpful and gracious and very helpful with answering any questions I had. She helped me arrange for several spa treatments that I had at the resort - all of which were fabulous. If you're at all considering visiting or staying at the Spring - DO IT!!! You won't regret it. I can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The relaxing atmosphere
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2007

This was the first trip I ever had without my husband, children, other family members or friends! (yes, pretty pathetic!) Found it on the web. Room rates seemed very reasonable which was important since I really needed some spa treatments. (The Zen Facial and the Sea Salt Body Scrub were incredible!) The staff were all very welcoming, especially as a single traveler. They assured me that I would feel comfortable and I would never feel intruded upon. Which was true.
I must admit, the surrounding area where the spa is located, is not the greatest. So if you are looking for activities right outside of the spa, this is not the place for you. However, I can almost guarantee that once you get inside those walls and into the courtyard, it doesn't matter. You will not want to leave.
I know I will definitely be back, with or without company. Thank you Martin for being so great when I checked in!

• Liked — Small and intitmate. They stressed the use of quiet voices. Relaxing atmosphere.
  • Disliked — My room could have had better sound proofing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo