“Over-priced and lack of luster”

Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Water Spa
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Over-priced and lack of luster”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This place was no better than a cheap motel - yes newly renovated rooms and classy lobby, but the pool and "hot spring" sauna were WIDELY discouraging. The rooms were very small and beds uncomfortable. If you are going to charge 4 star hotel prices, we expect that in return.

Not to mention the coffee was terrible - if you can't get coffee right, not sure what that says. I literally put in 7 creams and it STILL never changed colors - stayed JUST as black as when I first got it. When I asked the bar tender to help me dilute it some with hot water, she thought I was asking for the world and gave some major attitude.

Not to mention the "free internet" was EXTREMELY slow (even during the day when not as many people were on it).

I will not be returning to this hotel and highly recommend no one does either (even with groupon discount) OR unless they start charging $30/night because that is all it's worth.

I will say the gentleman working the front desk was very nice and courteous. Wish I remembered his name, he was working Friday night around 10pm 8/2/13.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

6 Thank Bex L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed our stay. The staff is very friendly and the food is okay. Doug was very accommodating which persuaded us to stay another night. We are surely coming back !! Let night forget to give the bartender two thumbs up on making strawberry margaritas

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank LQ5
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I was nervous at first but it ended up being a very nice place to stay. The staff was friendly, the room had a freshly remodeled bath with nice glass tile and the other patrons were friendly. Breakfast was lacking but the dinner choices and drinks were very adequate. The two food items that stood out were the roasted beet tartar and the Mediterranean platter. The pool and hot tubs were not natural hot spring fed but they were clean and had drink service. This is a hotel that has seen better days but it’s great for the price. The rooms were quiet and I think it would be a fine place for kids. It wasn’t perfect for the total romantic getaway but it was relaxing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I traveled to southern California and Arizona and stopped at the Aqua Soleil hotel on our way through. We were there for 4 nights on a Groupon. As part of the special, we received a discount on the restaurant, a bottle of champagne for each Groupon purchased (3x) and use of the "Jade" massage beds.

My first impression of the hotel was not great. The curb appeal is somewhat lacking, but once I got over my initial impression, they won me over with their newly-rennovated rooms and great guest service. The spa treatments were a bit over-priced, easily 20 to 30% higher than we paid in San Diego at the Westin on the same trip.

Overall, I'd give the Aqua Soleil 4 out of 5 stars. It's not perfect, but it's pretty nice! My wife and I agree that we'd stay there again if in the area.

Room Tip: Spring for the suite. They're large and they all come with their own mineral pool inside the roo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel R
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I decided to check this place out on a Groupon deal with a friend.

Location:
The hotel is located about 10 minute drive from downtown Palm Springs and I-10. There are a few stores and shops around in the area but we ate in Palm Springs. The hotel does have a restaurant and bar but I did not try it.

Staff:
The staff at this hotel are wonderful from front desk to house keeping!

Room:
Nicley decorated and kept up and clean.
Linens ok, nothing special.
Cable tv.
2 queen beds, was facing the street, and it was possible to hear the traffic when the ac shut off, so if you desire a very quiet room ask for one in the back of the hotel complex.

Pool:
Its HOT here in the summer! 105-115 degrees while we were here so the pool is amazing. The hotel does have lounge chairs, pool towels and some umbrellas for shade. They could do with a few more or another covered area for guests who are ready to escape the sun. They have 2 hot tubs one covered and 1 outside. Also provide guests with 2 empty hotel rooms for men and women to change or shower after using the pool.

Massage:
Tried the jade bed massage and that was really not good. If it comes free with a special go give it a go, its worth a laugh, but if I had paid $25 I would be very disapointed. Basically a mechincal bed with rollers. I did not try the other spa or massages as they were really expensive. If the hotel or massuse lowered their prices they may find they get a lot more buisness.

The hotel does allow pets with a deposit, has an elevator, (though it can be a bit hot) and vending machines and all the free ice water you can drink in the lobby.

Overall I really liked this hotel. It needs a few minor repairs like one of the front doors not working, the hair dryer in our room was not working but the staff and the fantastic pool more than made up for that. I might suggest guests might really love this place if the hotel could find a way to provide some covered parking as your car becomes an easy bake oven out there in the desert!

Room Tip: Room on the front of the hotel have more street noise when and if ac shuts off.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank amber1027
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My stay at the aqua Soleil was very fun and relaxing friendly workers all around Doug at the front desk was very friendly and nice giving us direction on where to go for fun thanks Doug :-).... Jerrick at the bar was very cool and easy to talk to made some pretty good drinks too...GM was also very nice ... You guys made us feel right at home I give this hotel a 4.5 out of 5 i will tell my friends too come

• Stayed July 2013
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 10, 2013

It is scary to drive up to the hotel but even worse to walk out of the hotel. We were told not to walk out by ourselves, and frankly I was scared to walk out the hotel at night even with our local friends. Hotel check-in; not the usual warm welcome I'm used to in the other hotels, but as such not unfriendly, just indifferent (on the phone during the entire check-in), so concentrated on the phone that she didn't notice a guest who had just checked-in desperately trying to catch her attention as his key card wasn't working. The room was smelling some detergent used for cleaning. Other inconveniences of the room is that it is has very dim light, so if you want to read or work this is very uncomfortable . The telephone only worked in the the hotel, no outside calls. The bathroom had only one soap, located next to the sink, not close to the shower. The staff were not the most service minded or friendly staff we've met, but they were okay. Overall I wouldn't have given this hotel one star but they have to start somewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends