“Amazing date shakes & desert wildflower honey” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Windmill Market and Produce

Windmill Market and Produce
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Drinks, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Best Date Shakes!!!
San Francisco, California
“Amazing date shakes & desert wildflower honey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

We stopped here on referral from a friend who claimed Windmill Market's date shakes were "the best in all of Coachella Valley" - and a true statement it is! Their date shake is not too sweet, but still packed with amazing date flavor - perfect treat to cool off on a hot desert day!

We also picked up a huge jar of organic local wildflower honey (for the price of a tiny jar at any urban organic shop) - another recommendation from our local friend.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JulesSF

Desert Hot Springs, California
“Neighborhood Market”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have been here several times. I would consider this more of a neighborhood market than a restaurant so I had a little difficulty in rating it. They have a good selection of basic foods items for sale, several varieties of dates, date shakes and also a great selection of bottled sodas. They do have a small restaurant and the tacos I ordered were great but my overall impression of it is a friendly neighborhood market more than a restaurant. All staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Visited May 2014
Surprise, Arizona
“Great dates!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

We took a wonderful bus tour (review written) that stops here for a free tasty date shake, They also offer free samples of their different varieties of delicious dates that are offered at reasonable prices. One taste sold me. We so enjoyed them at home & I took a batch as a hostess gift.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank MaJo D
Park Ridge, New Jersey
“A MUST-visit for me on every trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

Since 2000 or so, every year till 2009, I went to Palm Springs and then to Vegas and would stop here. I always had the Date Shake, which they claim to be the "best" in the area, and I believe it. Better than any other I've had at nearby date gardens. I load up with supplies and a date shake for the drive through the Joshua Tree and Mojave Preserve areas back to Vegas. Another great thing is their tacos - absolutely DELICIOUS. I'll have 4 or 5, and even one or two on top of that, "to go". The prices are great, they have just what anyone can want. The owner recognizes me even though it's a year between visits (or more). He's a great, friendly guy!

My last trip was the first one in several years so there were some changes - I should say, improvements. Date Shake was awesome as always, they still had their EXCELLENT tacos - but here's what was new:
- BEAUTIFUL dining area in backyard with GRASS, nice tables, landscaping - it was cute and small and SO PLEASANT to take a break and relax there! GOOD JOB, WINDMILL!
- DATES - they are selling dates from a local grower and the prices seemed to be the best I could find in the Coachella Valley. I bought some for myself and some as gifts.

What a truly pleasant visit, better than they've ever been! I bought my Date shake, tacos (which I ate in the garden), lots of water, some snacks and sodas, and several pounds of boxed dates and I didn't spend very much at all.

Anyone that I know who goes to this area, I tell them this is a MUST-visit for me and should be for them, too. I have taken friends with me over the years and EVERY one of them loved it because it's a cute, charming, little place but the date shakes and tacos are excellent, the service is very friendly, and the prices are excellent. I'm so glad for this place, can't wait to go again - with all that I do on my trips this place is still one of the highlights!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank John_Setrak
Bellevue, Washington
“Not worth going out of your way”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Based on Trip Advisor reviews, a friend and I made this a date-shake destination during a recent vacation trip to the Palm Springs area. We were disappointed. Yes, the date shakes are very good (thick, rich), but we thought the ones at Shield's Date Farm in Indio were much tastier. This one tasted like a vanilla shake with tiny bits of date. And the store here is absolutely minimal--a tiny selection of groceries, hand-dipped ice cream, sodas, and lots of candy bars. Not sure what the "Produce" in the name is referring to, as there wasn't a fruit or vegetable in sight. We drank our shakes in the small backyard, rather than sitting in the front parking lot. I'm giving this three stars mainly because I have a soft spot in my heart for mom-and-pop grocery stores (my grandmother owned one in the 1930s), and I like to support local businesses rather than big chains. But unless you're in the immediate vicinity and dying for a date shake, I'd suggest crossing this off your "must visit" list.

• Visited February 2014