All reviews dog park fire pit dog friendly hotel mineral pool get away joshua tree leash pup pets desert massage
Reviewed January 17, 2018 via mobile

This little 1950’s style resort is remodeled great and clean as a whistle while taking extraordinarily great care of guests and pets. The Innkeeper is like family to everyone. Super nice! John Thatcher, the Innkeeper worked tirelessly to help us and offer nice treats and coffee etc. We made a new friend and know our pet resort hideaway! The dogs had more fun than we did! Super comfortable for dogs. Pet beds and water bowls everywhere in nice rooms! DWS is great to Joshua NP. Access and all of the desert valley attractions! Stay here. Nice hot water mineral pool soaking! Thanks John! Best water in the world!

Stayed: January 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Ken S
Reviewed August 3, 2017 via mobile

I wanted to surprise my partner with a get away for her birthday. Because we have a little dog who travels with us, we looked for a dog friendly hotel.
At desert hot springs inn dogs have the run of the facility. They have to be well behaved and not fight, but other than that, the whole facility is leash free.
We requested the honey moon suite and it was lovely! Comfortable, well furnished, well equipped.

I requested wine and cheese on arrival, and everything was exactly as I requested. We were also able to book a massage in house, and that was lovely too!

I think we will be back!

Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2017 via mobile

We have an elderly dog that uses a wheelchair for his walks. Due to his condition, we don't like leaving him with unfamiliar pet sitters or burdening friends. We prefer to travel with him, tend to his needs as well as our vacation. This hotel is the perfect answer for those looking to enjoy Joshua Tree, the magical mineral water of Desert Hot Springs and the healing powers of The Integratron all while still taking care of your pup. The only recommendation I have for potential patrons is to bring your own streaming device (appletv, roku, chromecast, etc) so you have something other than a few channels of cable to watch. Also bring a Bluetooth speaker for tunes by the pool and in the dog park.

Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jody B
Reviewed June 1, 2016

If you are a dog lover, this inn is the best place to stay, period! The combination of the perfect temp mineral pool (no chlorine taste or smell), the beautifully decorated rooms and the back patio and large fenced open space for dogs was magic. Our family of 6 included 3 adults, 10 yr. old, 13 yr. old and our 15# mutt. We reserved a regular room and kitchenette suite that was very well equipped. A quick breakfast was available to those with regular rooms.
We toured Joshua Tree Park one day and the inn offered a pet nanny service that allowed us to keep the dog in our room but provided a potty break and personal attention. Both nights we ate outside; one night a BBQ on the back patio. AC units were exceptionally quiet. Very well managed place with peaceful ambiance. Highly recommended for all. Thank you to the attentive staff!

Room Tip: Quieter rooms upstairs. Lower level rooms have access to the pool with lounge areas.
  • Stayed: May 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank ColletteC99
Reviewed May 17, 2016

Let me preface this review by saying I waited a while to publish this. My wife and I stayed here over Valentine's Day weekend looking for a relaxing desert getaway with our dog, but left extremely disappointed. I wrote most of this right away, but have edited it substantially now that some time and frustration about the stay have passed.

About my experience:
Upon arrival, we were greeted by Paula who walked with us back to the office to be checked in. I'm not really sure why, but she was prickly and somewhat condescending in the way she talked to us right from the start. Her attitude during the whole interaction was as if she thought my wife and I didn't understand how to be decent people or dog owners, and acted as if we had personally slighted her before we arrived. (For the record we weren't even late - we arrived with over 30 minutes to spare before check-in ended. We would have been earlier, but we decided to check out the town and pick up some groceries since we arrived 15 minutes early, at 2:45pm, but nobody was around to talk to us or check us in.) After reading other reviews here, maybe this is just her demeanor, but I definitely felt put off by this right away and I usually have some pretty thick skin (or I'm outright oblivious to things like this). I realize this may seem a little minor or petty typed out, but the point is that it made my wife and I feel unwelcome as soon as we got there, and throughout the stay. My wife actually asked me if we could just leave the next morning rather than stay the 3 days we had planned because she felt very uncomfortable. Another reviewer stated that it felt like you were an unwelcome guest staying in someone's house – I think that puts it pretty well, assuming the owner of that house also hated you but was just a little too polite to say it.

About my dog's experience:
When we got to the room, there was no dog bed so Paula went to go get us one. Unfortunately she came back with one that was too small for my dog to fit on – and this was after she met my dog and knew her size. It was a little round cushion-style bed, not like those in the room pictured on the website that looks like a large mattress-style bed for your dog (which I saw online and thought 'wow, my dog would LOVE that'). Not sure if she was comfy, but my pup still slept on it because dogs will sleep anywhere - I just find it difficult to believe that they only had small ones available.

Some other guests had dogs that were occasionally milling about the pool area, but most of them were pretty chill and most of the time it was pretty empty. My dog doesn't like to swim, so we had no trouble keeping her out of the hot tub – I don't think we were told to keep her out of the pool. However, I feel it should be noted that the owner had a couple of dogs staying there while we were, as well as a friend (or she might have been helping run the place, it was a little unclear). The friend (sorry, don't remember her name) said one of the dogs wasn't really dog friendly so she kept him on leash, and the other dog likes to get in other dogs' business, so to speak (enthusiastic/aggressive greeter). Both are fairly large. I read another review talking about Paula's well-behaved terriers, so I guess she must have gotten new dogs or she was watching these ones for someone else, since I didn't ever see her terriers.

One night while my wife and I were relaxing by the pool, the latter dog was being let back in from a walk and my pup went to greet him (before I was told the aforementioned information about their dogs). He was doing the usual dog-smelling-dog thing, but got partially on top of her and backed her up against the wall. My dog doesn't like to be dominated, so she barked at him (as dogs do) and I broke them up in less than a second and they went their ways. I was then told my dog had to stay on leash then, which is unfortunate considering she got along fine with the other guests' dogs. (Actually the friend said "hmmm I think she initiated that so I guess she will need to be on a leash... at least we know" but didn't mention until afterwards that her dog can be pushy and she didn't try to prevent anything from occurring or try to help break them up). I just wanted to add this bit of information since unless you have a submissive dog, you might have a problem with the dogs owned by the folks' who work here. If you have a small or submissive dog (or one that just 100% keeps to themselves) then you'd probably have a fine time here, as long as you're not too worried about big dogs in your little pup's business. We ended up just keeping our dog in the room so we didn't have to risk it with the women or their dogs again. So, while it was nice not having to board our dog, she didn't really get to enjoy the stay very much between the bed and the owner's dog.

Location:
This is in Desert Hot Springs which is about a 20-minute drive from Palm Springs. There's not very much in Hot Springs itself, so this place is kinda in the middle of nowhere. That being said, it is on what counts as a major road in Desert Hot Springs (I'm just guessing this from the fact that it was pretty well traveled). It is within a short drive from Joshua Tree Park, but dogs aren't allowed on any of the trails so you can't take them with you. We skipped out on the hiking so we didn't have to leave our dog alone all day, and just went into Palm Springs for dinner each night.

The Rooms, etc:
The rooms are nice and everything was redecorated very well. The beds were ok – about what you'd expect from a motel or cheaper hotel, but I can get to sleep on pretty much any bed so the bed wasn't a problem. I should note that the place is a remodeled motel, not a resort or B&B-style as the website suggests. Still, everything was tastefully done, as the photos on the website show. The dog park area was pretty spacious, but there is a low fence (~2ft) that a dog could easily jump over if they were so inclined. My pup isn't a runner/jumper so I wasn't worried about this. There's also a fire pit and grill, but we weren't told how to use either, so I guess we weren't allowed to? Maybe this was just another oversight in the hospitality department?

The advertised attached "cafe kitchen" means you get a microwave and a fridge, no stove. I overlooked this last detail, so we picked up some eggs and a frozen pizza on our grocery run - oops. When I asked if there was any way to cook anything elsewhere (there is a full kitchen in the common area we were shown earlier), Paula just responded by saying "we try to put it on the website, but I guess it is still confusing for some people". (I mean, there are plenty of nicer ways to say "sorry but no, the kitchen is closed to guests", right?).

The pool and hot tub are fed from the hot springs, and they are nicely maintained. There are pool chairs lining the deck which have towels on them – for you and your dog! There is also small continental breakfast in the kitchen area, as other reviews have noted, but which I don't see advertised on the website (this is why we got the groceries in the first place).

The only issue we had with the rooms was noise. It is next to a road and you can hear the cars going by (there are a surprisingly large number of them considering the size of the town), and since the rooms are all centered around the pool and the walls are somewhat thin, if anyone out there or in adjacent rooms is talking you will hear them too. But this was a far smaller problem compared to the wind noise, and everyone went to bed at a reasonable hour while we were staying there anyway. As I said, the biggest problem was wind noise. The last night of our stay it was moderately windy outside. I walked outside to check and there was a pretty decent breeze, but not strong enough that I'd worry about debris or too much sand blowing around. However, from the inside of the room it sounded like there were hurricane-force winds outside and it was so loud I couldn't get to sleep or stay asleep (and I'm from Florida, so I've had some practice with this). Needless to say, this wasn't a great last night.

Pros:
Views are amazing
Very nicely renovated
Hot springs-fed pool and hot tub
There's an on-site dog run area

Cons:
Noise (wind, road, and other guests)
Meager breakfast
Hospitality/Owner - it seemed like she opened up a dog motel then realized she didn't like dogs. Or people. Especially not people - well not me and my wife at least.

When I started writing this review I was going to give it 4 stars because it is generally a nice place even if it is run by a not-so-hospitable woman. But upon further reflection I realized that no, I would never choose to stay here again and I would definitely never bring my dog back. Before this stay, my wife and I were planning to come back with several friends who have dogs and rent all 6 rooms out for a private party, but now I would definitely not recommend it to any of my friends. I don't think I would say that about a place that I would also give 4 stars.

Room Tip: If it is possible, don't stay in room 5 - it had terrible wind noise. I'm not sure if the other rooms are better though.
  • Stayed: February 2016, traveled as a couple