“Very dissapointing”

Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Taos, New Mexico
“Very dissapointing”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Our family decided to stay here because of the "healing water". But the water was treated with Chlorine. The hotel uses false advertising when the say they have "the best untreated water". They add chlorine. And, we never saw the pools drained and refilled, which we typically see when staying at other hotsprings hotels. Overall, the whole place was pretty grimy and gross.. My two daughters got rashes on their bodies. Either from the water or bugs in the beds. Although the price was reasonable, I would not stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reggie B, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Hi,
Thanks for reaching out on TA. We do put the absolute minimum amount of chlorine required by the Health Department. I have heard that some hot mineral water spas drain pools daily, which may make them exempt from using chlorine. I don't think we false advertise our waters anywhere... if you can show me where, I'd love to correct it. I can be reached at reggiebickford@gmail.com.

We have the highest standard for cleanliness which is backed by our HD grades. To be honest, most times rashes are attributed to sun exposure rather than issues with the room or water.

I hope that satisfies your questions and again feel free to reach out to me via email.

Reggie B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We did not stay here but just stopped for a soak in the mineral pools on our way back to Palm Springs from s day of hiking in Joshua Tree NP. A day pass is just $7 and you can rent a towel for $1. The property is very retro 50s-60s with huge beautiful palms. Not fancy but easy going. There was live music and a bar on Sunday afternoon, and the crowd was all ages, shapes and sizes, including kids. Left feeling relaxed and laid back.

• Stayed March 2014
Reggie B, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
We're glad you could stop by and take the mineral waters. A good soak after hiking is Joshua Tree is the perfect plan. Sunday was beautiful weather and the band Sacred Mirrors plays something for everyone. Hope you get a chance to stop by next time you're in Joshua Tree! You can also check out the Miracle Springs Resort which is our sister property.

S. Oregon
Reviewed March 28, 2014

OK DHSSH. You are in need of a renovation or are destine to turn into a 1 star. Your staff are friendly and your pools are really nice. That's about it for the positives. We stayed in room 212. Furniture is worn, rug is so old and stained. cracks in bathroom, curtain has tears which are highlighted in the morning when the sun shines through. I also noticed that your pool area needs work. The walking area is dirty, with small trash in cracks and some areas look sticky. Just walking into the lobby and restaurant, you get the sense that your place is worn and old. Now for people who don't really care about these things, this hotel is very nicely priced. I suppose it you start a major renovation, you will also have to raise prices. Your call of course. Don't mean to be respectful, but travelers will wont to know what DHSSH is really like.

Room Tip: all rooms face pool. 1st floor can access pools from room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. As you alluded to, we have great pools, friendly staff and great food and drink for low prices. With 8 pools and spas, we have served an affordable resort destination for many years. For guests who feel the Spa Hotel is too casual, we run operate the Miracle Springs Resort, the sister property next door. Between the two, we can make most travelers very happy with their accommodations.

With that said, as a young hotelier working in the family business, more aggressive upgrades and renovations are certainly high on my agenda. Hope next time you're back in the neighborhood you stay at one of our properties again.

Travelers are raving about these Desert Hot Springs hotels

Desert Hot Springs
Reviewed March 26, 2014

booking the room was easy. swimming was delightful all people were nice. the beds in the room were vary hard. and could use new plumbing. the tv sucked for reception. everything else was fine. we enjoyed the stay overall

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reggie B, Guest Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Hi, thank you for staying with us! I am glad you enjoyed your stay, we hope you come back soon.

Oakland, California
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I've traveled the world, stayed in hostels and hotels good and bad. This is quite possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Worse than a hostel I stayed in in Amsterdam with 2 twin beds, no TV, and a shared bathroom.

Desert Hot Springs is the city this hotel is in. It is known as DHS by the locals. This area is pretty run down and fairly far from places like Palm Desert and Palm Springs. I don't really mind all that, though. I just wanted a decent place to stay that wasn't too expensive. To be fair, we were looking for a place we could relax, enjoy pools before and after a long day seeing the sites. This hotel would probably be fine for a one night place to stay if you weren't planning a vacation where you can relax.

Also, I was attracted to this place because of it's vintagey feel. I love mid-century architecture. And, if the inside of the room had been nicer I probably would have stayed. As it was, I requested we move next door at the Miracle Hot Springs Resort and Hotel to finish out our reservation which was 100 times nicer. Like WAY WAY WAY nicer. Like shockingly nicer.

Pros:
* Water was very nice. Like perfect. Really really good. It wasn't too chlorine-y and it was nice that it was warm--well you had your choice!
* Diner was good.

Cons:
* The water area was somewhat small. Didn't really care about that until I stepped out of my room and it was packed with local people who come to enjoy the water. I also didn't really care about that, until I started noticing that they were almost exclusively kind of, um, trashy. They were smoking around the pool area, drinking giant cans of beer. Ugh. Just not really my scene. And I'm from Oakland! This particular hotel allows locals to come in for a low price. The cost for day use here is ~$5 and you can bring kids. You can also come early and stay until 10pm. Next door at Miracle Hot Springs, kids are only allowed if you are staying at the hotel, otherwise it's 21 and up for outsiders and costs $14/day and they have to leave by 6. Attracts a different sort of crowd, for sure. I could have gotten past all of that, I just really hated that it was ALWAYS crowded, most times I'd want to be out. But I could have tolerated this if it weren't for the room.
* The room. Oh gosh. Where to start? The carpet was stained --bleach stains, nasty yucky dark spots. I don't normally care about this. but I tried to do one yoga sun salutation and the carpet was so disgustingly smelly I stopped immediately. The curtain in the room had cigarette burn holes. The bedding had cigarette burn holes! What the heck! For $100+ per night I expect a minimum standard of a Motel 6. This was not even Motel 6 standards. Seriously.
* Beds were really uncomfortable. Mattress looked super ancient.
* Air conditioning didn't work that well and had to be turned on by the front staff.
* Front desk was, wow, gross. Outdated, fairly sketchy looking staff. People always lingering and talking to them. I was at first charmed by the quaint-ness of it all. Cute little greasy spoon diner, Dive bar place. Different kind of crowd. But when I drove past the place next door and saw pictures of their pools, I was just like, WTH!!!!? The contrast was shocking.
* Bar drinks were gross. I was sad. :-( I just wanted to sit next to the pool and drink a nice cocktail. But it tasted chemically, like the blender had been moldy. :-(

Ok, I know it sounds like I'm picky and maybe I was looking for a different kind of experience. But seriously. This place was not great. I didn't want to spend time in my room, but the pools were so crowded! What to do? My kid did have fun, but she had just as much if not more fun next door. And it was much prettier, relaxing, and calm.

2 Thank HannahK215
I appreciate your candor in explaining which aspects of your stay didn't match your expectations. I'm very concerned that you encountered smoking by the pools since we don't allow this. I'll look into it. Also, we intend to limit our day visitors by increasing rates. This was a main source of your disappointment.

We certainly have some of the world's finest quality hot mineral water, and we want to make sure its fully appreciated in peace and quite.

In the 35 years my family has run the property, the hotel has delivered an astonishingly consistent product and service. While this endears us to many, we need to be adaptable.

I can always be reached for comments or concerns at reggieb@miraclesprings.com.

Merced, California
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Room was not ready at 3pm, when available it had rusty drains, leaking faucets, no smoke detector, sliding door had evidence of several breaking, the outside security gate was broken and would not lock. Carpet was pulling up and had large bumps in it. Other than that Mrs Lincoln how was the play? Courteous, friendly staff, but 24 hour pool echoed noise back up to room until much later than expected.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill r
Reggie B, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
I'm disappointed to hear that your stay wasn't up to your standards, or ours either. I'm curious what room you were in? Our daily room inspections help us keep all guest rooms clean and functional to the very last detail.. but I would like to ensure that we didn't miss something. My family runs the property and we are very involved in the day to day operations of the business and strive to constantly improve the operation and the physical product we present. You can reach me at reggiebickford@gmail.com.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Desert Hot Springs is our little secret, okay. It delivers mineral-infused waters to the needy urban soul, makes it feel healthy again, and invigorates the body and the mind with bliss. Heat is the Great Equalizer, talking us down from that road rage and redirecting that temper tantrum schmutz toward laughter and love. I would stand in line for this (luckily you don't have to). There must always be room in life for this. Who would have thought that so much schvitzing could be so good for you.

And don't forget the people, the weird and wonderful and fascinating people who share one thing, a love for that magic cure which is . . . . the healing waters. Keep it a secret, please.

Room Tip: Stick to the ground floor.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for sharing the "secret" about our Spa Hotel retreat. You're spot on about the amazing mineral infused hot mineral water that freely flows from the grounds of our hotel!! And we celebrate the diversity of the guests we draw from far and wide to soak in our world famous waters.

Hope to have you back soon,