First let me begin to say that I have been a regular guest at DHS Spa for over 12 years now.
So, my friend and I checked in and the lady at the front desk was nice, the lady in the gift shop was nice and Brandi the bartender was nice.
I've been bartending over 7 years and in the restaurant industry over 10. My friend has been a server about 10 years as well; we appreciate good service and nice people.
The food was cheap but not very good.
The pools were really dirty...way worse than ever.
Our room was really cheap...but not very nice at all...very old...not too clean.
It was loud, lots of kids and a lot of people do smoke in the spa areas.
There was actually a sign on the pool fence saying if you diarrhea not to go in the spas....that obviously turned me off immediately.
Plus you can't bring in any food or drinks anymore.
But all this is forgivable, kind of was expecting it...Until we met the bartender, Josie. She was awful. She was rude, short with us and insulting. Towards the end of the night I went to close my tab with her. She ran my card and handed me the receipt to sign (with no itemized receipt). I noticed it was pretty high. I a little surprised since I knew we closed out earlier with another bartender and my friend also had a tab open. So I asked to see my itemized receipt. She was immediately defensive and said mockingly "you have been drinking for like 5 hours", she tone of voice was so demeaning and judgmental. We had drank a few but we were at a spa resort looking to relax as adults and not have a bartender make us feel bad about that. It's her job to be courteous to her customers.
Anyway, she gave me the itemized and I instantly saw her mistake, over rang a "surprise" drink and a vodka drink. I know 100% I only had one of her surprise and knew how many vodkas I had. So I politely corrected her. My friend then got her tab and she had one too many vodka drinks as well. Josie instantly got defensive again and sneeringly said if we can't keep track of what we drink we shouldn't have a tab open. She said many rude things like this in front of other customers at the bar. She started yelling at us! I have never been treated so rudely! I told her what, how and when I ordered each drink and proved she made a mistake. She did admit she over rang one drink and took it off the bill. I told her about the other 2vodka drinks and she would not remove them. I told her if she wouldn't I would have to talk to her manager. Her voice was raised so loud and everyone was staring at us so we were humiliated and felt like cheapskates so my friend told her to just put the drinks in question on her bill. I was outraged, not about the money, about the way she spoke to us! She has no right to yell at us and talk down to us like we are stupid. Yes, we were buzzed, but I went over it all night and today, she was in the wrong. 100% I thought about it and remembered each drink. But even if I was in the wrong (which I was not) her behavior is inexcusable.
I went to speak to the manager, Jim came in I told him the story about the extra drink charges and how rude, insulting and patronizing Josie had been to my friend and I. He didn't even really apologize. He went to the bar to speak with Josie. When he came back he said he "couldn't reverse the charges" but he wrote on the back of his business card 3 free well drinks on our next visit. I told him he didn't understand, 1.) We will never be coming back and 2.) We don't care about the money, that was not the big deal, we were simply outraged by her horrific customer service. Jim actually almost snapped at me saying "what do you want me to do?!". I said he should write her up for her bad attitude and awful service and he should reverse the charges. He said he couldn't do it because he didn't even work at this hotel and worked at one up the street. After talking awhile it was apparent that he wouldn't or couldn't do anything about how Josie treated us. I could tell he thought we were just young dumb drunk girls and didn't care to fix the situation.
Basically, we had the worst experience in a bar ever and will never be back. I really think Josie rings in extra drinks and does not give an itemized receipt because most of her customers are under the influence on alcohol and don't notice. Another lady says she was also double charged. Customers just see the recommended gratuity, 15% 18% or 20%, pick one and sign the slip. Therefor she gets a bigger tip then deserved.
Please beware of Josie! Do NOT give her your credit card!!!! She is not honest and incredibly rude!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel is famous for its natural hot mineral water! So come for the day and use our eight natural hot mineral pools. A classic example of retro 60s architecture, the Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel features fifty comfortable rooms wrapped around a large courtyard with towering palms and eight shimmering natural hot mineral spring pools open 24 hours. Spa-goers and sun worshipers come from far and wide to partake in the restful and relaxing atmosphere.Spas are nice, but natural mineral spring spas are paradise! We offer the desert’s most extensive and affordable spa therapies and beauty treatments in a fun, casual setting.You’ll also enjoy indoor and outdoor dining at the Sunshine Café, or sip your favorite beverage in the Sports Lounge or poolside while you sun and soak.And the Desert Hot Springs Spa is pet friendly! We also offer room service and wireless Internet for your convenience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Desert Hot Springs Hotel Desert Hot Springs
- Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel CA - California Desert