All reviews fresh fruit mid century joshua tree palm springs hot springs robes are provided bare bones r r swimming pool short drive love this place kitchenette toiletries massage coachella oasis
Reviewed December 7, 2017

People who have reviewed this place negatively don't quite understand what this place is. This is a hotel that pairs the experience down to the basics but done well. Yes, it's not 'fancy' but that doesn't mean it's lacking at all. The property is immaculately maintained and has style. From photos you might see the rooms may seems sparse, and they are but they are meant to be that way. Case in point, when we first arrived my girlfriend didn't like it, she commented negatively on the bare bones rooms. After 1 night she was a fan, she understood why it designed this way. The floors are fantastic for going seamlessly between the indoors and outdoors. The bed is immensely comfortable. There was thought that was put in here. The pools while not large are perfectly heated from the hot spring and wonderful for slipping into at midnight. Yes, in most ways this is more of a mid-century modern B&B rather than a hotel. The property manager is jovial and we have several great conversations. Think of her as a friendly host and guide rather than a hotel 'general manager'. She's not going to talk to you like someone would at a hotel and that's fine with me. Breakfast is delicious and light enough to allow you to go about your day without feeling stuffed. If you're looking for a 'hotel' experience this is not that but it is fantastic nonetheless. Don't get me wrong I love staying in high-end hotels but I'm a fan of this as well and will be back again.

Room tip: can't go wrong with any of the rooms
Date of stay: February 2017
1  Thank JereF1
Reviewed April 20, 2017

This place is magic. There is nothing else like it. My girlfriend and I have been coming here for years. We've stayed at all the other hot spring resorts in Desert Hot Springs, as well as most of the highly rated Palm Springs places, and this is by far our favorite place to be in the desert.

If you're looking to be walking distance to the shops and restaurants of Palm Springs this is not the place. But if you want peace and tranquility, it is. The clientele is mostly couples (many long-long-time customers), who keep to themselves and are respectful of others. This is not a spring break / party type of place, and there are no kids allowed (nothing against kids, but if you put kids in a pool it is usually the opposite of peaceful). Most people who come here are similar to us, in that they are just looking for a quiet place to relax and rejuvenate.

Nothing is better than natural hot springs waters for relaxing. We've been to springs all over and the waters here are among the best. If you are a hot spring aficionado you must come here. You will have the best nights sleep after soaking in the tubs here, and after you leave you will still feel relaxed for days.

Nancy, the manager, is a wonderful person and has become a friend of ours. We love enjoying the delicious, healthy breakfasts she makes every morning (especially her frittata) while looking at the beautiful view of the mountains. She has also always given us great recommendations on all the best places to go, for hiking, eating etc..

It's a bit closer to Joshua Tree than Palm Springs is, so if you are planning to trek there, which we often do, that is another plus.

The other thing that makes this place so special is the hotel itself. It's an extremely well preserved Mid-Centiury Modern beauty - a special treat for fans of architecture and design.

I kind of want to keep this place a secret, but if any place deserves a good review it's Hope Springs . So I'm adding mine

Date of stay: March 2017
1  Thank Wolfgang_Franklin
Reviewed April 18, 2017

The lady there was walking around and was spying on us of how much food we had at breakfast. She was so rude and came the next day to tell us that she threw away 2 small pieces of an cold omelet. If you want your guests to eat your omelet then you should make sure it's fresh and warm. What????
The big pool wasn't warm enough.
Also, the rooms are overpriced. Try a different place to stay.

Date of stay: April 2017
2  Thank barsali2017
nancymanager_12, Manager at Hope Springs, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2017

First, I’m sorry you felt spied upon and thought I was rude; it was certainly not my intention.

The continental breakfast is available to guests for two hours each morning. If early risers consume more than expected, then additional provisions are necessary—which is why I must keep an eye on the breakfast. Also, because of the time frame, no hot items can be served. The “omelet” you mention was actually a frittata, created to be served at room temperature. Of course, that simple misunderstanding led to unfulfilled expectations for you, which tainted the overall perception of your stay. Now I know why you didn’t want to eat all of the “omelet”—I wouldn’t want to either! Yet what about the rest of your breakfast left uneaten? I realize it’s unusual for hotel management to address leftovers with guests but, as is mentioned on the accommodations note in each room, Hope Springs tries not to be wasteful or harmful to the environment. We anticipate that our guests hold the same view. Hearty appetites are welcome here, but taking a large amount of food and then not eating it requires me to throw it away, which then turns it into another greenhouse-gas statistic. And that hurts all of us.

Your review also mentions the temperature (85 degrees) of the large pool and the room prices. Those are individual preferences, I’m afraid—preferences that I realize will prevent you from becoming one of our many repeat guests. I thank you for your candor, though, and for staying at Hope Springs. I wish you the best in finding a future hotel experience more to your liking.

Reviewed November 9, 2016

This hotel wasn't what I was looking for. Although it was clean, it felt like being in a library. It was quiet enough to hear a pin drop (no music), and the manager was constantly looking through the window and walking through the property, not in a relaxed way. I tend to prefer some anonymity to being watched, so it definitely depends on what your preference is.

I booked a room with a kitchen, which felt cold design-wise. The kitchen and bathroom were okay, but for the price, I think there are way better options out there.

This is probably somewhere my grandmother would like to stay to get through a book. It's not the type of place where you can really walk through the streets (like Palm Springs), so plan on staying in the hotel the entire time. If you like walking at night under the desert stars, this is not the place for you. it's dangerous outside the walls. If you like music, this is not the place for you.

Pros: The breakfast was nice. The indoor spa is very hot.There are books to borrow. Constant flow of spa water in the kitchens. Toiletries. Nice landscaping.

Negatives: Vibe. Design. Neighborhood. The biggest pool isn't warm enough to step into easily. Wish it was luke warm instead of cold. The rooms don't come with an AV cord to hook up your phone to the stereo (but you can ask). Overly intimate if you don't want to small talk with guests or the manager.

This review has taken me a couple of months to get to because I was extremely agitated after my stay, but looking back, it just wasn't the right fit.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
7  Thank lacreative
Reviewed November 5, 2016 via mobile

Spent a night during the road trip with my gf. The place has a special vibe, beautiful palm spring style hotel. Owners were very sweet. The swimming pool and the view were very photogenic. It's a very quiet nest, perfect to relax!

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aurelius81