“Relaxing and beautiful oasis”
Review of Hope Springs

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Desert Hot Springs
Hope Springs
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Redwood City, California
“Relaxing and beautiful oasis”
Reviewed January 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Hope Springs for a long weekend getaway and we enjoyed every minute of it.

I did a lot of research on Trip Advisor. I read almost all the reviews of Dessert Hot Springs hotels, and many of them looked similarly good. The reason I chose Hope Springs is because it seemed to have the perfect balance of mid century modern minimalism without the bare bones, institutional feel. And my experience staying there was everything I hoped for. The vibe was retro, zen, colorful, warm and ultra comfortable. Our room was spotless and smelled like fresh air. It had a charming kitchen with vintage ceramic dishes, plastic wine glasses (so you can drink around the pool), a mini fridge, microwave, and a table with 2 chairs. We also had a little table and chairs on our private patio. We liked the shared kitchen too, which was stocked with cucumber water, tea, coffee and condiments.

Garfield (one of the owners) prepared a light breakfast every morning - hard boiled eggs, fruit, cheese, breads. We had interesting conversations with him and people from all over the US, Canada and Europe. We spent hours lounging near the pool and in the hot tub - all natural spring water. We had views of the mountains from almost every direction. I have no idea what nearby hotels ranked higher are really like, and I probably never will, because Hope Springs was a #1 experience in my book, and I'll definitely be back.

• Liked — relaxing, beautiful, welcoming, mid centry modern experience
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 2, 2009

I'm from Amsterdam, Holland. I came to the States to make a tour to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and San Francisco. This place was recommended to me by a friend in Los Angeles. He said it was wise to start the trip, with a relaxed spot, not too far from the crazyness of the big city. He was right, it did hit the spot! I was lucky, because in the two-day stay, the only other person in the resort was the owner, Garfield and he made me lattes in the morning. Not bad!! Cherelle, the new manager, impressed me: she came to Desert Hot Springs, from San Francisco......in a Smart!!
A true gem in the Desert!!

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 5, 2008

A vintage modern desert hideaway - Hope Springs is the perfect place for a quick check out from the daily grind, instant relaxation upon arrival ...

We have been coming back to Hope Springs for the chill out factor for years. No phone, no TV, no minibar - instead a stereo w/ iPod hookup , some great books and an eclectic mix of vintage modern furniture and artwork in every room. Each of the ten rooms has its own private patio, facing the hot spring fed pools and some rooms come with a full kitchen - perfect for when you just want to chill with some snacks and a bottle of wine without over leaving the compound ...

An amazing breakfast spread is served every morning in the communal kitchen - tropical fruit, fresh pastries, cereals and an ever changing variety of other yummy noshs, along with a great strong coffee and a selection of morning teas.

• Liked — Instant chill out & quiet time by the hot springs
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 25, 2008

My husband and I spent a single night here at the recommendation of a friend. We were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is located in a less than charming neighborhood, with very few dining options. Hit the road to Palm Springs or Ranch Mirage for food! Once inside the hotel, you feel transported. The rooms are basic and stylish, the three spas are heavenly.

I enjoyed the breakfast immensely: it was not your typical continental breakfast spread, but rather an inventive, vegetarian-friendly hodge-podge.

This place is perfect for hanging out by the pool with a book or recovering after a day of climbing in Joshua Tree (not too far away).

We plan to return in the winter.

• Liked — Mid-Century Modern furniture and the spas
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrowninLA
New York
Reviewed May 11, 2008

From Day One (literally, we stayed with them before they formally opened) this has been one of our favorite hotels on earth. We try to come back for a couple of days whenever we are in southern California. It's comfortable, easy, and clean, and most important, not over-done.

To stay in Desert Hot Springs, however, you must be prepared to stay in a real cultural desert. This is not Palm Springs, thank heavens, and though there are plenty of restaurants nearby (the Korean comes to mind) there isn't much to do at night unless you want to drive into town, as it were, or go to bed early. The Hope Springs guest understands this; the clientele seems self-selecting that way, quieter than the party animals you will find in PS.

A note on the rooms: we always try for one with a kitchen; it makes take-out that much easier and you can keep a bottle of wine or two cold.

• Liked — it's laid-back, relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — always sad to leave
  • Stayed January 2003, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NewYorkStories
Oakland, CA
Reviewed March 30, 2008

We just returned from 2 nights at Hope Springs, and really enjoyed the experience. It's a little modernist gem in the desert with a retreat like atmosphere where you can really destress with massages, body wraps and soaks in the warm mineral pools. The staff is friendly, helpful and respectful. The rooms all face the pools, and each one has a private patio, so you feel a constant connection with the outdoors. The healthy self-serve breakfast was delicious. Hope Springs is close to Joshua Tree National Monument which was having one of it's best displays of spring wildflowers while we were there. Palm Springs is 20 minutes away. We plan to stay there again and highly recommend it to people who want a low key unpretensious place to unwind.

• Liked — Peace and quiet to relax; not noisy
  • Disliked — town of Desert Hot Springs is not appealing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marion9
Los Angeles
Reviewed February 23, 2008

There are other reviews that have been written that go into detail about Hope Springs, so I will not repeat some of those already celebrated points.

I have been going to Hope Springs since it first opened in its current form -- that is going on seven years. I am a writer and I love to spend a week lolling in the best water in Desert Hot Springs and partaking of the healthy delicious breakfasts that Chloe greets us with in the morning. Fresh fruit -- papaya, pineapple, rasberries and blueberries, organic boiled eggs and sometimes a freshly made fritatta -- if Chloe feels like surprising us with something...the fridge is often stocked with cold water sweetened by slices of oranges and cucumbers and the teas (good loose)and coffee (Peet's) are excellent. In the heat of the summer there are cool lemon-grass scented washcloths to refresh you.

The layout of the spa-tel is beautiful -- the architecture -- striking and memorable -- one can lounge in the pools and look out over its low roofs to the mountains and watch the sun rise or set. The clouds can be great too -- great white cotton puffs or thin willowy strips which drift in the oh so blue sky. There are three pools -- the largest cooler one is to swim in (I like do do a few laps in the morning when everyone is sleeping) and a middle pool which is a perfect temperature to read in for hours or to chat with the other very interesting guests. The third and hottest pool is inspired by the Turkish hammam -- quite hot with a charming tin roof (in the round) with strong jets that ease your sore back. Sometimes, I just like to float in silence looking up at the roof -- feeling perfectly safe and dreaming of staying there forever.

As you lounge at the pool's edge a hummingbird will often flit by and stop in a nearby flower -- the hint of lemon blossoms waft over you as you sip your glass of yummy wine.

The feel of Hope Springs is totally unique -- I have travelled the world, but Hope Springs is special. It has a clean magic to it, its a hidden secret of a place, a place to clear your head, a place to rest and feel time drift as the sun moves through the sky and the shadows lengthen. The water itself has healing properties -- reminiscent of the great healing spas of Europe. But you can have fun too -- Palm Springs with all its distractions is 20 minutes away, and my husband and I love to go catch a movie or have a nice dinner, but we are always so happy to come back to Hope Springs where the sweet night air greets us as we stroll past the aquamarine pools lit up and sparkling alluringly. At this point, I just have to get in one more time before bed -- I get greedy for the rush induced by my body slowly sinking in to the warm, soft, silky water.

Don't forget to have a massage with Annica, the beautiful Swedish masseuse who is a naturalist and lives up in Joshua Tree (a fun day trip to hike) and drives down to take out all your knots and give you a glow that lasts.

I love Hope Springs and I haven't really wanted to share it with everyone -- that's why it's taken me awhile to write, but recently I've felt I was being selfish -- it has too much to offer -- I had to share! Have fun, if you go.

• Liked — Unique, beautiful, clean, restful, yummy breakfasts...
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple