“Awesome trails” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cuyamaca Rancho State Park

Cuyamaca Rancho State Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Descanso
More attraction details
Owner description: This park's beautiful pine and oak forests, meadows and streams are unusual in this part of the country.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Awesome trails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Cuyamaca has so many trails, it would be difficult to get bored. One of my favorite places to hike, bike or camp.

3 Thank LDHallihan

Santee, California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“A Little of everything!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Cuyamaca is Fantastic. Camping in the state park has always been a Great Experience. My wife and I have camped there for years and after we had children...we still consider it one of our favorite Camping spots.
The lake is great fun and fishing is my kids favorite thing to do. Catfish are always plentiful and great fun for my 11 and 13 year olds.
Not a ton of things to do which to us...makes it prfect! Camp, walk trails, fish, RELAX!!!!

Visited July 2012
5 Thank Dave A
Pensacola, Florida
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I enjoyed the hike I did on Mt. Cuyamaca. Even though the weather was fairly poor with bad visibility and some light mist, it was an enjoyable hike. The cooler weather was refreshing and the hike itself is not too much of a challenge in terms of terrain so it's great to bring amateur hikers who are in shape (there are a few fairly steep inclines). Not many people at all were around which was also nice - made me enjoy the rural nature of it all the more.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Danma11
Chula Vista, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Green Valley Falls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Took the kids camping at the beginning of the warm season. Stayed at Green Valley Falls. Spring is when the falls are running good, so the kids could see it in action. We'd been there a couple of time in late summer but not much water is "falling" by then. Very Pleasent stay.

Visited May 2012
6 Thank Bill B
No. San Diego County
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Stonewall Peak Hike - Cuyamaca State Park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

4 miles roundtrip
Difficulty: Moderate to Challenging
Elevation Gain: 900 ft
360 degree view from the top!

We did this hike last weekend with another couple and their 10 year old son. 2 miles each way (4 total). The trail was very well maintained, there was even a volunteer working to cut the brush back while we were there. We thanked him for his efforts!

One of the striking things you will notice is all of the burned trees from the Cedar Fire a few years back. Oddly enough, the burned trees provide a ghostly if not stark contrast to all of the brilliant new growth. We saw butterflies, ravens, turkey vultures and lizards. The sign at the start of the hike warns not to hike alone because of mountain lions. Thankfully, didn't see one of those!

The view from the top was beautiful. Definitely worth the climb. We could see all the way out to the Salton Sea to the east and plenty of mountains to the west. It was a bit hazy so not sure if an ocean view is possible on a clear day.

I am an avid hiker of San Diego mountains and I put this hike right up there on my list. What is different about this hike is that from the top you are looking down on the park and miles and miles of natural landscape as opposed to many San Diego Mountain hikes where you reach the top only to peer down on civilization.

From the top we watched ravens catch thermals which was very entertaining!

I say if you like to hike.....Just do it! You won't be sorry. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen. Pay parking and bathrooms located in the Paso Picacho campground.

Link to trail map: http://www.chris.ca.gov/pages/23997/files/cuyamaca.pdf