“Best of the Best”

Market Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Market Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 100 Restaurants in Del Mar
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: El Camino Real
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We ate at Market not knowing what to expect. I was in for a treat of treats. I ordered a custom made salad, no problem. The main course was outstanding. Better than outstanding. The service ( Jason) was as good as the food. A number one. The desserts were also too rich for us, so he brought us a generous plate of tasty cookies. If you are in this beautiful part of our country then please give it a try. If there were more than 5 stars I would give it.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Great Fine Dinning restaurant. I recommend doing the tasting menu. We did it with the wine paring as well it was amazing. it is a 4 corse meal, my boyfriend and I each ordered different items so we could share, and each corse was paired with a different wine. The food was all amazing. The restaurant has a dark atmosphere and give it a real romantic feel. Amazing all around will go back soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Market is all around fantastic. The beet salad and blue cheese souffle (both on the app menu) are out of this world. Everything I have ever tried from the entree menu has been first rate. My only criticism of this restaurant is that they never change the menu and the specials are always the same. I guess you don't fix something if it isn't broken but something new sometimes would be great too.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I think the fuss about this place is too much. We tried the tasting menu and the first course was amazing- duck confit, grapes and fennel. It truly sang. The rest of the meal...not so much. It was not bad, but it was nothing that I could not get at twenty other places in San Diego. And at these prices it should have been much better. The presentation is very mid 1990's. With the perfect produce of Chino Farms a stone's throw away, I simply expected more. The place was packed, so clearly others disagree with me.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

The answer to that is rarely or never. Well now I can say that I have had one. My sister and I went to the Market Restaurant for a special meal and it was SO beyond anything we could have imagined. I've done a LOT of traveling and always look for one great meal wherever I go. This is the place to go if you're visiting San Diego or live here.

We went early (6:15 reservation) and left about 8:45, not because the service was slow, but because we wanted to pace ourselves, enjoy each bite and talk. Our waiter, Mike Corcoran, was stunningly helpful, professional and attentive without being obtrusive.

We had the tasting menu. My sister does not eat meat and the third (of four) courses was only meat. Mike said the chef would certainly prepare a veggie option and returned to describe it. While I can't remember all the details, here's what we ate. For each course there were two choices. Although we didn't plan it, each of chose a different one. 1st course: chilled avocado soup w/cucumber and a petite, elegant grilled cheese sandwich (!); duck confit with melon. 2nd course: salmon dotted with bits of Maine lobster; flash grilled yellowtail with (I think) maiitake mushrooms. 3rd course: veal with tiny roasted Brussels sprouts; layered vegetables w/goat cheese tart and poached tomato. 4th course: some incredible chocolate dessert with pecan brittle; tres leches cake with strawberries and strawberry sorbet (shaped like two strawberries with mint for a stem!)

I needed to have a margarita (I'm from Massachusetts) but asked if the bartender made it with fresh lime juice, not bottled. Of course, Mike said, and we make our own syrup. Bottom line: it was the best margarita I ever had.

What else to say? A perfect meal in every possible category.