“My favorite north county spot.”

Market Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Market Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 92 Restaurants in Del Mar
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: El Camino Real
“My favorite north county spot.”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Market is all around fantastic. The beet salad and blue cheese souffle (both on the app menu) are out of this world. Everything I have ever tried from the entree menu has been first rate. My only criticism of this restaurant is that they never change the menu and the specials are always the same. I guess you don't fix something if it isn't broken but something new sometimes would be great too.

Boston
“Good ....Not Great”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I think the fuss about this place is too much. We tried the tasting menu and the first course was amazing- duck confit, grapes and fennel. It truly sang. The rest of the meal...not so much. It was not bad, but it was nothing that I could not get at twenty other places in San Diego. And at these prices it should have been much better. The presentation is very mid 1990's. With the perfect produce of Chino Farms a stone's throw away, I simply expected more. The place was packed, so clearly others disagree with me.

Massachusetts
“How often do you have a perfect meal?”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The answer to that is rarely or never. Well now I can say that I have had one. My sister and I went to the Market Restaurant for a special meal and it was SO beyond anything we could have imagined. I've done a LOT of traveling and always look for one great meal wherever I go. This is the place to go if you're visiting San Diego or live here.

We went early (6:15 reservation) and left about 8:45, not because the service was slow, but because we wanted to pace ourselves, enjoy each bite and talk. Our waiter, Mike Corcoran, was stunningly helpful, professional and attentive without being obtrusive.

We had the tasting menu. My sister does not eat meat and the third (of four) courses was only meat. Mike said the chef would certainly prepare a veggie option and returned to describe it. While I can't remember all the details, here's what we ate. For each course there were two choices. Although we didn't plan it, each of chose a different one. 1st course: chilled avocado soup w/cucumber and a petite, elegant grilled cheese sandwich (!); duck confit with melon. 2nd course: salmon dotted with bits of Maine lobster; flash grilled yellowtail with (I think) maiitake mushrooms. 3rd course: veal with tiny roasted Brussels sprouts; layered vegetables w/goat cheese tart and poached tomato. 4th course: some incredible chocolate dessert with pecan brittle; tres leches cake with strawberries and strawberry sorbet (shaped like two strawberries with mint for a stem!)

I needed to have a margarita (I'm from Massachusetts) but asked if the bartender made it with fresh lime juice, not bottled. Of course, Mike said, and we make our own syrup. Bottom line: it was the best margarita I ever had.

What else to say? A perfect meal in every possible category.

• Visited August 2012
Santa Clarita, California
“Very good, but not what I had expected.”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I had done my research before selecting this restaurant for dinner with my husband and our friends from MN. Based on all that we had read and heard I had high expectations. Overall, I thought it was good, but not great. Draw backs: (1) disappointed to learn that sushi is only available in the bar and not the dining room (2) service from the kitchen was very slow (our waiter had warned us that the kitchen was running behind and advised that we submit our entree order with our appetizer order) (3) the food was good, just not as good as I had expected based on Zagat and word of mouth (4) it was pretty pricey considering my review on the food.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank expilotmom
Nashville, Tennessee
“Outstanding food and service”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We were in the area and friends had recommended Market, so we decided to try it out. We got there early (~5:00) and found that they didn't open until 5:30. We were seated at the bar and relaxed there until the restaurant opened.

The menu had a great selection, and we weren't disappointed with our meals. Everything was great, and the service was excellent. The restaurant lived up to its recommendation. We'll go there again the next time we're in the area.

• Visited July 2012