“Unclean and Sloppy”

Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The website for this hotel looked fabulous. Unfortunately the maintanance and cleanliness leave much to be desired! The Oceanview Deluxe two Double Bed Room, while laid out nicely, was dusty, sticky and dingy. The kitchenette is terribly equipped with paperplates, a pan and a pot, but no dishtowel, detergent, or silverware (there were a few bags of plasticware).
The pool area was dirty as well. The cushions are dirt stained and the supplied towels too small to cover the dirty cushions (i had to use three of the handtowels size towels to cover the cushion length-wise, but could not cover the width...).
The on-premise restaurant was dissappointing as well. The first evening (a Friday), we ordered a spinach salad and fish tacos, and were told that the kitchen was out of greens (no salads at all), and out of tacos. Instead we ordered the crabcakes to our room (as we did not want to wait in the noisy and dirty dining area (the table was sticky and unclean). When the crabcakes arrived, there were two patties on a plain plate (eventhough the menu said it was served on a bed of greens), no lemon, or anything else. We were somewhat disappointed (for $16 one would expect more!). the waiter was nice enough not to charge us for the order.

The next evening we thought we could give the restaurant another try - we
were able to get a Caesar Salad and Fish Tacos, but our plates were dirty (the very friendly but slow waitress promptly brought a less dirty plate that we wiped with our napkins). Back in the room we wanted desert and they were again out of every desert item on the menu, but they had a chocolate cake The silver ware wrapped in the napkins was dirty (we had to wash it before using it), and we observed the bartender sloppily rinsing out a glass and reusing it.

If cleanliness is important to you, don't stay here! For $240 per night this was a deep disappointment!
The website also makes the hotel look much closer to the beach - the oceanview is only if you gaze way over several rows of houses. Maybe I just did not look close enough....

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Travalotta
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding our poor cleanliness and restaurant service. Please accept my sincere apology for not delivering the experience you have expected. I am ashamed to hear about the concerns you have shared. These comments will be shared and addressed with my entire staff. I really want to make it up to you for not living up to our guaranteed of service and amenities. Please contact me directly at 858 356 0305 or at mtam@pacificahost.com. Please be confident that this poor experience is not our norm. Your feedback are well received. Thank you again for sharing your concerns.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Quick overnight for business- and this was an economical, convenient choice. Great location, walkable to the center of Del Mar. More boutique than corporate. Comfortable, but not luxurious. A good spot for a few days of economical R&R, but I wouldn't plan a vacation around it. Room was newly remodeled and other than the Maxwell House coffee (ick, and out of place), it was really great. Breakfast was unexpectedly good and the service was even better. I was dubious as I made my way from the underground parking lot to the elevator, but it only got better from there. Oh - and management - when you pick a better coffee, can you please fix the wireless? To call it slow would be generous. If I had had a lot of work to do, I'd been fuming right now!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jon E
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Thank you for sharing your great experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We appreciate the opportunity to service you during your last visit. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms, great food and central location to Del Mar. Thank you for the suggestions on the coffee and internet. We have been working closely with Time Warner for the past year to complete the installation of fiber optics cables to the hotel. Once completed, it is in the works to increase our bandwidth and improve wireless access to the entire hotel. I know this plan does not solve the immediate need but we are definitely working toward proving a more efficient wireless access for all of our guest. I appreciate your understand and patience. We look forward to serving you again in the very near future.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

This was our second stay at this charming hotel on the outskirts of Del Mar Village.Our first visit was outstanding. We were courteously treated like special guests due to our Intercontinental platinum elite status. They even upgraded us to a suite. This time around, no such luck. No upgrades and no special treatment upon check-in. They did give us two coupons for free drinks at the bar, however. This was appreciated.
Our room was small, but comfortable. The attractive wall mural and wooden shutters, refrigerator and small desk and coffee/tea facilities had character and made the extra few dollars you pay here worthwhile.(But they could provide better coffee--Maxwell House is not exactly what you expect at a boutique hotel).
The restaurant / bar is modern and airy, yet it was never full. There was something sterile about the ambience, and we preferred to eat elsewhere. However, the bartender was friendly and the menu looked interesting and contemporary.
Parking is easy and plentiful--- in an underground garage. Since it was raining hard, this was a bonus for us.
We prefer this property to the Indigo, downtown San Diego. There you get rowdy revellers and
a much younger crowd than in this Del Mar location.
Overall, the Indigo hotels are a nice addition to the Intercontinental chain of properties, but don't expect too many perks while staying there if you are a loyal IC customer. It is hit or miss!

Room Tip: The suites with balconies are extremely comfortable, while the regular rooms are small, but have som...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sonnet4
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you for sharing your enjoyable experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I apologize for not delivering the IHG Platinum Elite Status experience during your most recent visit. Please be confident that we value your business and loyalty the same each and every time you stayed with us. The main reason for not being able to upgrade you this time is because we had 20 of our rooms under renovation. Due to limited inventory, we were unable to provide the memorable experience you had from your last visit. Once all the rooms are completed, we will have all new hard wood floor plus spa shower experience in every room. As for the Platinum welcome upon check in, IHG Rewards have changed some of their program so I apologize if it wasn't as memorable as your first visit with us. I am glad to hear you still enjoyed our smaller rooms, centralized location plus our Ocean View Bar and Grill. Next time you are in town, please email me directly and I personally will ensure you have a wonderful stay that exceeds your first experience with us. My email address is mtam@pacificahost.com. We look forward to serving you again in the very near future.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo for my birthday on the weekend of the 22nd of February. We had searched the net for a place and read all the reviews. This place looked best, so we thought we would try it. The front desk fellow was very personable. The room was lovely and everything was clean and well appointed. The beautiful shell paintings on the wall are a nice touch, as are the hardwood floors. The grounds are very pretty with well kept landscapes and flowering shrubs. The hotel is very dog friendly, so we will return with our two dogs. I never heard a peep from any of the dogs that were there, which is surprising given that there was a dog show at the Fair that weekend and we saw people in the parking lots with dogs. The fitness center has very modern treadmills. We enjoyed breakfast in our room. The Crab Cake Benedict was a nice birthday treat, my husband's scramble with veges was delicious, and the coffee was good. I'm a bit picky about coffee so I was surprised.I was impressed with the high quality of this hotel given the reasonable price. The hotel is centrally located to the beach, the fairgrounds, shops and restaurants. We can't wait to return. I fully recommend this hotel. I really hated to leave.

Room Tip: The rooms facing toward the pool seem to have the best views, especially on the second floor. We sta...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We truly appreciate the opportunity to be part of your birthday celebration; delivering a memorable experience on your special day. We are so glad you enjoyed our pet friendly environment, spacious rooms, good food and ocean view location. Please come back and visit us again. We look forward to being part of many more of your special occasions.

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Reviews we read turned out to be way overrated.Good location.Rooms small& not terribly attractive.Checked in after midnight.tv remote not work.Middle of night woke up cold.In morn very loud from road.Come to find out window is partially open. Moved room. Frig not work.Dinner poor.Back in room to find out that this room's window was also left open -security issue.Checking out found that they were going to over charge me on previously discussed second night rate.Not happy.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns about your recent stay. We appreciate all feedback that will assist us in improving our hotel and service. Please accept my sincere apology for not delivering the experience you had anticipated. The poor food to the window being opened will definitely be addressed with my team. Just to provide an explanation, my housekeepers likes to leave one window open after cleaning to ensure fresh ocean air fill the room for our guests. Of course, this practice might not be accepted by all so we will definitely address this topic. You mentioned a concern of security regarding the open window, please rest assure that the windows are locked down per California State requirement that they can only be opened up to 4 inches. No window will ever be left wide open enough that an individual can enter the room. As for the road noise, 90% of our rooms are located away from the street. I hope you will give us another chance to prove that we are worth every positive reviews and stars.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have been to this hotel two times. The first time we were in a room close to the street which did not have a view. Kind of the thing about this area is that it is nice to at least see the ocean because generally speaking that is why you are there. The second time, we had a room with a little view, at least. The rooms are comfortable enough, clean, nice TV, decent bathroom and shower amenities. Most likely the best feature is the location. Right in Del Mar, close to the race track. Oh and most important to us it was dog friendly.

Room Tip: Try to get a view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GregoryOrangeCounty
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms, ocean view location plus our pet friendly service. Thank you for making us your choice hotel whenever you are visiting Del Mar. We do have few more different room types with some offering more ocean view than another. On your next visit, please inform us of your preference and we will do our best to deliver a memorable experience for you.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I stayed at this property on a business trip and was impressed by many aspects of this property. The hotel is in a great location in the heart of Del Mar, Ca. Normally, I prefer to be closer to San Diego but decided to try something new and as I have been to the race track at Del Mar the general location was one with some familiarity. At the same time, I had not spent much time in Del Mar the town which probably will be a totally separate awesome review.

Now, to the hotel. The service at check in was friendly and informative. The accomodations I was given were very nice. I had a king bed with a kitchenette of sorts that was right off the pool area. The hotel is made up of a series of separate units, not quite bungalows, but close in description to two level garden apartments . Initially this was a cause of confusion for me in finding my room, but once that was accomplished I settled into a good situation. The furnishings were contemporary, clean and comfortable.The hardwood floors reminded me of those in European hotels. The amenities were very nice.

The hotel is a couple of streets from the ocean and while I did not have an ocean view, I could enjoy the view from the patio and restaurant. I took advantage of the restaurant for breakfast and ordered an awesome eggs benedict served on crab cakes that was delicious. The gentlemean that provided the service during breakfast at the bar was outstanding in his attention to my needs and his recommendations. I strongly recommend the breakfast fare and the restaurant.

The town of Del Mar which is within walking distance has many really good restaurants from which to choose. I swear, everyone has a dog and the street scene from the many patio restaurants is entertaining to make you smile. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this property and look forward to returning

Room Tip: An ocean view request if available.Get good directions to your room
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We truly appreciate you for allowing us the opportunity to host your recent stay even though it is a little farther than the usual downtown location you were staying at. We are so happy to hear you had thoroughly enjoyed our ocean view location, spacious rooms and the great bar with good local food at our Ocean View Bar and Grill. Please come back and stay with us again. We look forward to serving you in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
San Diego Marriott Del Mar
San Diego Marriott Del Mar
#113 of 286 in San Diego
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!