“Basic Clean Rooms nothing special. Motel feel!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar

Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
san diego,ca
“Basic Clean Rooms nothing special. Motel feel!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

No premium Cable channels.
Door Slams Hard.
Not enough towels in rooms.
Iron puts out black particles in the steam mode.
**the lobby is beautiful!!
**the pool area is very nice
** the outside lounge area above the pool is also very nice!
**FREE PARKING!
**FREE WI-FI!
View from the room is ok.....nothing to call home about.
Not enough chairs in rooms.
I would not stay here again....the room is not inviting, you don't want to go back to your room when you are out...the room has a motel feel. I give this hotel three stars one for the lobby, one for the pool area, and one for the free parking/free wifi!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear worldtraveler1972,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. It encourages our team to read your positive comments on the lobby,pool as well as the parking and WIFI. My apologies for the inconvenience you had with your room accommodation and the amenities. We appreciate all guest feedback, and strive to provide excellent service to all of our guests. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Pismo Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night while on business this week. The hotel is older with a funky layout but I really enjoyed the stay. I had a nice room with a balcony where you could get a small peek at the ocean. Sitting on the balcony you could hear the sounds of the ocean and the birds chirping in the morning. Yeah the rooms are not your typical cookie cutter hotel but this is an older property with charm and character. If you want the same old type of hotel, stay somewhere else. Oh, and the floor creeks when you walk on it and the plumbing is a bit loud but I like this place. The staff was ever so friendly and welcoming. See you next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing the great experience you had with us at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the great service and the unique charm and characters of our hotel and location. You are right on in regards to our “non-cookie cutter” rooms. They are much more spacious with private balconies that overlook the ocean, trees and beautiful Del Mar cottages. Thank you for appreciating the little floor squeaks and plumbing noise. The original hotel was built over 30 years ago started with only 20 rooms and throughout the years; many upgrades and add-ons were made to become the 94 room property today. Just last year, we completed a 7 million dollar renovation to transform the previous Best Western Strafford Inn into the beautiful Hotel Indigo Del Mar today. We are very excited about our new product and are so glad you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Please come and visit us soon.
Providence, Rhode Island, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Having lived in San Diego for almost 10 years before moving East, I knew Del Mar would be the right spot for a nostalgic long weekend return. The Indigo is a few block's walk from the boutiques and fine dining at the village of Del Mar, and just across the street from the cliff-side train tracks above the beach. With a rented surfboard, I was able to pick my way down the (dangerously steep and slippery) cliff trail to a semi-secret surf spot. For a safer walk, you could try the excellent beaches at Powerhouse Park or North Torrey Pines, both less than a mile away. The horse-race track/ fairgrounds are just two miles north. From Del Mar, you are just a few freeway exits from the beaches of Encinitas or La Jolla.

At the same time, this hotel has a vibe so comfortable you may not want to leave. Our upgraded suite had a cooktop and mini-kitchen. Bright but tasteful custom decorations are everywhere. The pool and hot tub are well-situated for sunbathing, and there are chairs and side tables scattered around for hanging out. A local musician holds concerts at the bar a few nights a week. The room service food was prompt and tasty.

The only drawback to the casual hangout feel was the group of young men chatting loudly around the pool at 2AM. Not being a night owl myself, I had to ask them to quiet down-- but they got quiet right away and I didn't have to call the front desk.

As a bonus, I was able to use my Holiday Inn Express Priority Club Rewards points to book the room. The Hotel Indigo is my new first choice for a North San Diego County stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We are so happy to hear you had thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful service, our spacious rooms, the great bar good local food at our Ocean View Bar and Grill and our beautiful location just minutes away from the ocean and Del Mar Village. I am so glad you made us your first choice during your visit to the West Coast. Welcome home!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here about 3 months ago and apart from the Spa, generally enjoyed our time. The reason for our stay was sunbathing and to use the spa for a massage.
The rooms were ok, as I didn't expect to much luxury as I'd read previous reviews in Trip advisor. The bathroom was the main issue with the room, it was tiny. We did managed to get a good nights sleep in our room(407) and it was clean. It was overlooking one of the pools away from the main building.
Service at the Hotel was fine, though I would recommend some drink service at the pool, or at the very least, a water cooler. Its pretty poor that you're expected to climb the stairs up to the bar to order a drink when your using the main pool area.
There is a nice firepit deck that will be good in the summer time for a drink at night.
We used the Spa and were not impressed. We had a couples massage and had to put up with loud guests outside our massage room and a waste pipe that ran above it. You could hear it every few minutes as someone flushed their toilet. We let the girl at the Spa front desk know we weren't impressed and she thanked us for the feedback. No offer of a discount or voucher to make up for the experience?
We had breakfast and lunch in their restaurant which were both very good. I would stay again but would stay clear of the Spa. I emailed the hotel to forward some constructive feedback to Spanama, but never got a reply.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing the nice vacation you had at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with all the Trip Advisor readers. We are glad to hear you and your wife enjoyed our room, restaurant, pool and the walking distance location to shops, restaurants and beach. I apologize for noise concern during your couple’s massage. We are fully aware of this challenge and efforts to remedy this situation are in the works. We are close to finding a solution to this challenge and hopefully by your next visit we will have this situation resolved. Please reach out to my Spa Director Laurel at 858 356 0307, she will make sure you are well taken care of. Your feedback is well received. We look forward to serving you and your wife in the very near future.
Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We spent 4 days there with a group of 25 for a family vacation. Great location, beautiful rooms and grounds. Food selection a bit poor and served at different times. Walking distance to some good eats and drinks. Beach is just a drive away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing the fantastic vacation you had at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with all the Trip Advisor readers. We are glad to hear you and your party enjoyed our beautiful spacious rooms and the walking distance location to shops, restaurants and beach. Sounds like you and your party did not get to experience the full extent of our menu offering due to the multiple buy-out events we were hosting in our restaurant during your stay. I apologize for the inconvenience but am glad to know you and your party was able to enjoy the array of restaurants located in Del Mar Village. Thank you again for sharing your comments. Please come visit us again in the very near future.
Saint Croix Falls, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

My friends and I traveled 32 hours from Wisconsin to stay at the hotel Indigo in Del Mar for a beach vacation. The hotel over exceeded our expectations in every manner. Arnon at the front desk was very helpful and thorough in answering all and any of the million questions we had. The room was gorgeous and well kept up. The pools and hot tub were perfect. Jason served us breakfast a couple days and he was amazing; certainly one of the best parts of the stay. He was very friendly, professional, kind, helpful, and always had a smile on his face. Keep him around...give him a raise!! Overall we were all extremely impresses and will definitely be back! Thank you for a great experience.
--Jamee Lynn & the Wisconsin girls.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing the fantastic vacation you had at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with all the Trip Advisor readers. We are so happy to hear you and your party thoroughly enjoyed our accommodations, location and service. I can’t agree with you more on how awesome both Arnon and Jason are. They are a joy to work with and more importantly, they are truly passionate about servicing our guests. Please come back and visit us soon. Your Hotel Indigo Del Mar experience awaits you.
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Having stayed at Indigo properties in New York City and in Sarasota we had been attracted to the brand and so when we planned a stay in the San Diego area we chose the Indigo, expecting the same "magical" experience we got at the other properties. The hotel in Del Mar is really a step down and is priced at a level where one would expect more. We had booked an Executive King. Echoing comments in the previous review, there were inadequate electrical outlets. The shower was a bit odd of a shape......narrow......probably due to a quite small bath room.......too much wasted space in the living area and not enough space in the rather cramped bathroom.....the bathroom was poorly designed as to storage, shower, toilet spacing. One oddity was that the king bed had a bed stand and lamp on one side of the bed but nothing on the other. The carpeting was a little past its prime. One had the feeling that this hotel had been built to be something else and then was later converted to an Indigo,
although I don't know the facts of that matter. I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel but my wife did so on a couple of occasions and said the kitchen was spartan......only one person attending and he was overworked......causing slow service. The staff was friendly enough but not particularly enthusiastic. There was no single terrible quality to this property but the "whole" picture was a mediocre property posing as and priced as something "special".
I believe they're asking too much in the way of pricing for an average motel. We certainly would not re visit the property under the conditions offered.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Roy P
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am sorry to hear that our room deco and set up did not meet your expectation. Our hotel is a conversion from a previous 20 year old Best Western to Hotel Indigo one year ago. The in-room designs do reflect some of the previous layout and that is the main reason for the smaller bathrooms in some rooms while they are very spacious in another room. We would love to expand and redesign some of the room layouts but structurally some floor plans cannot be changed. I guess that is what adds character and uniqueness to our building. I appreciate the feedback on our need to deliver a more memorable Hotel Indigo Del Mar experience. We will definitely take the feedback to heart and continue improving our service and quality. I truly appreciate your feedback. I hope you will give us another chance in the near future so we can show you that we are as good as any other Hotel Indigo in the Country.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
La Valencia Hotel
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,095 reviews

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!