“Our Excellent Hotel Indigo Del Mar Experience”

Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I just returned home from a six day stay at he Hotel Indigo in Del Mar. We both cannot give enough positive comments to match the experience we had during our stay at this property. I travel an average of 200 + days a year for business and pleasure. This hotel has given me one of the best stays I have ever had, bar none. Of course, San Diego Del Mar is a hard location to not enjoy, yet the staff of this property moved "our" experience from excellent to "Superior". Richard and Barbara at the front desk, and Chris and the staff at the bar and restaurant went above and beyond in their job responsibilities! I read a negative review from a local, and I am confused in regard to their review. Yes the menu is simple, but everything we ordered was well prepared, served quickly and quite appetizing. The staff was happy to serve you on the balcony in front of the fire pits, at the pool, or at the tables at the back of the property while observing the spectacular sunsets. We enjoyed a glass or two of wine each night around the fire pits and met some great people who enjoyed the Indigo as much as we. It may not be a Five Star property as far as ratings would be structured, but it would be a Six Star property if you are looking for a relaxing stay at a very reasonable cost! Thanks to all at Del Mar Indigo for making "our" stay so memorable!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am so happy to hear my staff, our service and the hotel has exceeded you and your wife’s expectation during your six nights stay in Del Mar. I can’t agree with you more on how awesome Barb, Richard and Chris are. They are the Super Stars along with many others that makes our hotel unique and special to our guests. The concept of Hotel Indigo is built upon our neighborhood story. We partner with local food vendors to provide a true Del Mar experience for our guests. I am glad you and your wife enjoyed our simply good food and great local bar at our Ocean View Bar and Grill. After a year of renovation and rebuilding, we are very excited to join the upscale boutique IHG brand. Please come back and visit us soon. We look forward to serving you and your wife again.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I had heard about IHG's new Indigo Hotels and was very interested in trying one. Seems they take older hotels, do a complete update to create a very nice option. Such is the Indigo Del Mar. I believe this was formerly a Best Western but there is little left of the old BW. The lobby is open and spacious. It is attached to the nice restaurant, bar, breakfast area with sliders that open the entire room to the pool area with a view of the ocean. Decor is "Del Mar" racetrack and ocean themed. Lots of pastels. Service was excellent with friendly staff, waiters and service. Now the rooms. DO NOT take the low end "leisure king" room. All the rooms are different and all are very nicely appointed but there is a reason these rooms are much less. My travel agent (bless her cheap heart) booked this room. All the way in the very back of the hotel, down some stairs to what literally is a basement room. The backside is underground and the front faces the stairwell down to the room. This would be deemed a basement flat in any city. The other problem is that the room back UNDER the road. Road noise is very bad. Again the room is nice but I do not like living in a hole. After contemplating how short life is I went back and asked for anything else. I could see many, many rooms with balcony's and obvious ocean views. I figured these were the $40 more a night rooms but well worth it. The lovely desk person gave me a complementary upgrade to a room with a partial view. Wonderful (see picture). I had to trade my king for two queens but the queen was fine. Very comfortable soft beds. Flat screen TV. Small frig and micro wave in its own "kitchenette area. Bathtub shower. Aveda products. Great wall mural. All in all a very nice room. Oh and I could hear the surf at night. I would have paid for that in in itself.

Room Tip: No leisure king. Ask for a "partial ocean view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great experience you had at Hotel Indigo with other Trip Advisor readers. It makes us very happy to know we have delivered a fabulous experience during your visit. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms, good food great bar, ocean view location plus the wonderful service you received throughout your stay. You have definitely made a great choice in opting for the upgrade because the joy of being able to wake up to the view of the Pacific Ocean and/or watching the sunset each night from your own private room is priceless. A vacation is only memorable when we have the opportunity to experience something different than what we do every day. We can’t wait to be part of your wonderful vacation memories again. Please come and visit us soon.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

The Hotel Indigo Del Mar could not have been nicer. This hotel has been recently renovated - the rooms are beautiful. The bathrooms are very large with lovely decor and updated shower and vanity areas. The room was large, nicely decorated and we really enjoyed our stay. The central patio area outside the bar has tables and fire pits to enjoy the evenings as well.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great experience you had at Hotel Indigo with other Trip Advisor readers. It makes us very happy to know we have delivered a fabulous experience during your visit. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms, good food great bar, ocean view location plus the wonderful service you received throughout your stay. I can’t agree with you more on how lovely it is to watch sunset on our patio deck with a glass of wine in your hand. We can’t wait to service you again. Please come and visit us soon.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

The room was very clean and much larger than we had expected with a small kitchen area and bar with granite counter top. Everything was nicely decorated and newly upgraded. The location was great, just a few minutes to walk to shops and restaurants downtown Del Mar. We ordered room service the night we arrived and it was a great value for the money and was delivered in less than 20 minutes. We had breakfast in the restaurant the next morning and the homemade cinammon brioche and veggie omelettes were both wonderful. The beds were comfortable and the room was very quiet with a beautiful view of the ocean. Not a single complaint. We will definately stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great experience you had at Hotel Indigo with other Trip Advisor readers. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms, good food great bar, ocean view location plus the wonderful service you received throughout your stay. It makes us very happy to know we have delivered a fabulous experience during your visit. We can’t wait to service you again. Please come and visit us soon. In your next visit, don’t forget to give our famous signature Crab Cake a try. They are well known throughout town.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We really liked the Hotel Indigo in Del Mar. Access from San Diego on Hwy 5 or 805 was easy and we avoided any bad traffic even at evening rush hr on 805. The check in was great with a long time desk clerk (she made us aware of her tenure) allowing us to check in early and recognizing our Priority Club status with an upgrade and a complementary water. The lobby looks new and updated and the grounds well kept. Our room did not have a view of the ocean, but I found the easy access to the trail overlooking the beach to be very nice. You can walk down the main road south to access the trail a couple of blocks or go out the back way (a break between the fence and building) through an apartment building's driveway and then a block to get to the trail. I never got to the beach as there is a very steep trail down that is not well marked. People with surf boards were making the trek down. Between the trail and the beach is a rail line for the local commuter train. The view from the trail is wonderful. I wanted to walk to the Torrey Pines park, but there was construction when I was there and some disruption in the way by trail.
Our room was a king sized bed, kitchenette, sitting area with couch and small bathroom. This was fine for us, we don't cook on vacation, but it was convenient to store some breakfast items in the little fridge and serve our delivery pizza (Del Mar Pizza - very fine). The room was located in the section above the parking garage and there is an elevator if you want...makes getting rolling luggage up much easier, but I thing there was at least one or two stairs to negotiate. The room had a microwave, flat screen TV with plenty of cable channels and we had internet connection. One morning the hotel had free chair massages available in the lobby. Gladly took advantage of that. One previous poster mentioned that the property is huge. I have to correct that impression...the property is pretty compact with the footprint lessened by the parking garage. At 94 rooms and considered a boutique hotel, it never gave the impression of being huge. We did not eat at the restaurant on site.
There is another door to the room facing the pool. It was quiet when we were there in Oct. I found there is no room number on these doors facing the pool when I accidentally knocked on the wrong door after leaving my key in the room.
We really enjoyed exploring the coast by car and we rode the commuter train just to get a feel for the area. We rode the train from Solana Beach ( cute town north of Del Mar with shopping and eateries) to Oceanside and then back down to San Diego where we visited Old Town for dinner. Check the train schedule for your specific dates. The hotel gave us an old timetable and the train station didn't have the current one up either so we ended up waiting a while for the train back to Solana Beach. We drove to La Jolla and saw the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego there. Recommend the museum. We saw the sea lions on the coast there in La Jolla.
We spent time at the San Diego Zoo and the museums in the Balboa Park. Very nice and worth a day or better two.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great experience you had at Hotel Indigo with other Trip Advisor readers. I am so glad to hear my staff took great care of you during your stay and more so on how our location really suited for your vacation. I can’t agree with you more on how lovely it is to watch the sunset on our lobby deck and the ability to take a short stroll to experience the ocean up close. The chair spa massage is only a teaser. We have much more events planned for 2013. Please come back and visit us soon. Next time, you got to give our restaurant a try. Our famous signature Crab Cake is well known in town.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Omg, we are locals who have tried the place thee time in six months. It just is a laugh. Menu does match what food and wine they actually have. Service is so bad even though they are nice. The trio of sliders has two burgers! We actually had to get up from table four times for a server even though they had the place fully staffed. Managers just stood around talking to one another...
This was during the big golf tourney at Torrey Pines and they had great band.
As a traveler to many places I urge folks to avoid Indigo restaurant for dinner - omg - what a joke!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CWinstin
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on our service and menu about our restaurant. Please accept my sincerely apology for not meeting your expectation in service and menu selection. All of your feedbacks are well appreciated and I will definitely share them with my team and continue to work on our areas of improvement. I am glad you enjoyed the live band we had last Friday. It was our first live music event and we definitely have more plans of bringing in more live entertainment for our local enjoyment; of course after fine tuning our service and menu selection. We are so appreciative of your support and allowing us the opportunity to learn from our mistakes. Now we know what we need to work on, we will be much more prepared for all future events. Please give us another chance to show you what a great local bar with good food Hotel Indigo Ocean View Bar and Grill can be. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Very clean, affordable for the area, near the ocean, near the town! Two great pools with outdoor patios and decks with heat lamps for the night. This would even be a good place for a party/wedding reception, although I didn't try the food. Great bar with wide wine selection. Friendly staff in all areas. My only complaint is that the complex is so big I got lost trying to find my car and my friends' hotel rooms. Underground parking is plentiful and nearby the rooms (just be sure to navigate the best stairwell). Beautiful ocean view. I'm picky about cleanliness of rooms/bathrooms and this was up to my standards. Most rooms are at the same level as sidewalk/walkways between rooms, so just keep the curtains closed if you're worried about privacy. Good heater/AC unit, nice decor, really comfortable beds.

Room Tip: If you're worried about extreme quiet or accessibility, discuss this with the front desk.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing the great experience you had during your stay at Del Mar Indigo with other Trip Advisor readers. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed the amenities we offered in our ocean view suites, the wonderful staff service and our proximity to the ocean. Thank you for pointing out that we are the perfect location to host an intimate wedding, get together and party. Our Chef Christina makes 95% of her dishes from scratch using local ingredients. Next time you are visiting us, you got to try her signature crab cakes eggs benedict for breakfast or as a main dish during dinner. It is absolutely delicious. Starting in January, we will be adding live music performance to some of dinner services. Please come back and join us for more memorable experiences. We look forward to serving you and your love ones in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!