“L'auberge was delightful.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas
“L'auberge was delightful.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2007

My daughter, granddaughter and I stayed at L'Auberge for 3 nights in Feb. We booked the room at a very good rate through Expedia. We had called the hotel directly and they could not match the rate and said they only had 4 rooms available. Since we were getting such a good deal, we were worried that they would assign us to one of their less desirable rooms. No such thing. Our room was beautiful, balcony, electric fireplace, king bed (rollaway was delivered at the time we asked for it and whisked away the next morning) great bathroom and very spacious. Staff was very pleasant and all service was excellent.
Our room was very quiet, we only heard the train during the day and their was no hall noise.

Stayed February 2007
6 Thank rags

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
seattle, wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2007

Spent 4 nights with my 5yo daughter at this lovely hotel/resort. Room overlooked plaza w/ view of health club and flowering garden. Everything was clean, orderly and staff was responsive and kind. The pool (my daughters favorite, of course) and hot tub were very clean..and I'm typically very hesitant to use public/hotel hot tubs but this seemed very well maintained. A short walk leads to a nice beach, playground and open, grassy park where we saw lots of folks enjoying the sunshine and open space. Amtrack runs passenger trains every hour or so about 3 blocks from the hotel but it was never a bothersome sound..in fact, it just added a bit of nostalgia. Would do it again...very relaxing and super enjoyable.

• Liked — beach location, felt safe
  • Disliked — resort grounds a little short on space
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank loveoutdoors
Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2007

We stumbled across L'Auberge on side trip from La Jolla. When we saw how nice L'Auberge and Del Mar are, we stopped in to see about last-minute availability. We ended up staying three nights (at a great F2F discount!). Our room had a fireplace with great toiletries. We went running on the beach every day, enjoyed a jacuzzi every afternoon, and had drinks in the pub before walking to a Del Mar restaurant every night. Everyone was SO NICE (thanks, Ernesto!) and really made us feel like we were at a swank resort. Stay here! (See about negotiating rates off season too.)

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank CambridgeKAL
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2006

Just stayed here last night, we live in the Los Angeles area and love to do one and two night stays nearby.

This time, I was looking for accomodations near Torrey Pines Golf Course. If you need or want to stay RIGHT in the tiny village of Del Mar, L'Auberge is the place for you- it's literally part of the village.

But if you have options and are looking for high end accomodations (and not a beach vacation), I reccommend The Lodge at Torrey Pines instead. L'Auberge is nice but nothing overly special. The rooms are small and I was told several times that they are all the same size except for the suites and jr. suites.

We'd booked a "premire deluxe" room but it was dark and cramped and had no fireplace- the view wasn't worth the extra $ to us, you had to peek out and to the left to see it. so we downgraded to a "Resort " room, the same size but without the partial ocean view but with a fireplace (and a shared balcony instead of private). The desk staff definately did not fall all over the place to please us, they were businesslike and matter of fact. Not rude, just more like staff at European hotels.

The pool was okay, not breathtaking or anything, the jacuzzi wasn't hot enough. The bath products in the rooms are very nice, and they provided a little sea sponge.

We went to the New Years party at J. Taylors it was great, the food was magnificent, the event was very well managed. The band was very good and the event was fun.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and even though everyone there complains about how much they're paying for the room, it is prime real estate in the heart of Del Mar- you're paying for the location.

I won't stay here again because I like the views, the pool & jacuzzi, the rooms, the staff, the prices and the marvelous hand crafted beauty of the Lodge at Torry Pines better.

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — The pool is only okay, the rooms are nothing special
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't bother to pay extra for a room with a partial ocean view. Just go see the view somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank samoanfan
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2006

Just returned from a 5 day stay at L'Auberge Del Mar. Here is the excellent part: 1) The location, just up the hill from the beach, I watched surfers from my balcony and listened to the surf as I fell asleep at night. 2) The area, very pleasant area with really good restaurants all around and a gourmet market across the street. 3) The people & service, they opened up their fitness room early for me (I had read the hours wrong), got me coffee before the restaurant was even open, screwed up my laundry (it can happen anywhere) but were profusely apologetic and gave my entire party free breakfast to help make up for it.
The less-than-excellent: 1) The location, it really is right above a train track and the train can (sometimes, not always) be loud. The first night I heard it; by the third night I didn't even notice it. 2) The price. I've stayed at Peninsulas and Four Seasons for less money (I had the Jockey Suite, very nice, but $800 a night is more than a junior suite at the Peninsula in Beverly Hills costs).
Would I stay here again? Yes. Would I look for a good deal on the Internet? Yes. Definitely book third floor (best ocean views). Oh, and the piano player in the lobby was a very nice touch.

• Liked — Location and people
  • Disliked — train
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank KansasCityBrian
Bay Area California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2006

Pretty hotel and charming town, however we would definitely not call it a "resort". We received a discounted price, and thought it would be worth it but had problems. Definitely not worth $300 - $400! We had a light bulb in the bathroom that kept flickering and the toilet flusher would get stuck and the toilet would run. We told the front desk the morning after our check in and the receptionist said she'd get engineering into our room to fix it. Later that night we went back to our room, still running toilet and still flickering light. My husband took the light bulb out of the bathroom and brought it down to the front desk, offered to replace it with a new bulb if they would give him one. That seemed to get their attention and we got a new light bulb in our bathroom, but no fix to the toilet. We just got "sorry", at a "resort" I would like to think they would change our room or fix it immediately. We got a "couples massage" at the cabana - definitely not worth it. It was very loud with the train that goes by, helicopters that go by, and general street noise (I'm quite surprised they offer the service in the first place considering these factors). These are out of the hotel's control, but the maintenance guy with the table saw that was buzzing in our ear the whole time was not beyond their control. It was VERY irritating. The therapist and receptionist just said "sorry". If you stay - make sure you stay on the 3rd floor. We stayed on the 2nd and any time the person above us (at 5:00am!) would take a shower it would wake us up - very poor sound quality in that regard - sounded like jets flying directly over us. Water running in someone else's room should not wake you out of a sleep! We will never stay there again - I'd prefer to go down a little further and stay in La Jolla.

• Liked — The Beach
  • Disliked — Noise/service
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank rberg
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2006

I used to live in the Del Mar/Solana Beach area and L'Auberge is the best hotel if you want to be near the beach in this area of San Diego. Our room was nicely done, not brand new, but definately not in need of a remodel yet. We had a wonderful balcony with an ocean view, despite reserving a regular room. All the empoyees were friendly and we felt well taken care of. Valet was always quick with the car.

I have never eaten at the hotel because of the abundance of good restaurants nearby, many within walking distance. Try the patio at Il Fornaio, the wine bar outside Il Fornaio, Pacifica Del Mar, and Epazotes, which are all in the Plaza across the street. Also, Cafe Americana for breakfast and Jimmie O's for a sports bar.

The beach is a slight walk down a path and across a street, but I find the 3-5 minute walk pleasant. There are other nice places to stay in San Diego, but if you want to be in the Del Mar area and be able to leave the car parked for most of your trip, L'Auberge is where to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort

Been to L'Auberge Del Mar? Share your experiences!