New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, California
“Business Meeting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Great Hotel for a business meeting. We had a wonderful stay during our NSM. The staff was attentive and the food was very good. The rooms were on the small size but very well done. I would use L'Auberge again for a meeting or a relaxing vacation. All and All a very good experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
LAubergeDelMar, Resort Operations Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing you experience on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to read that L’Auberge Del Mar provided a restful place to stay while traveling for business. I look forward to welcoming you back each and every time that your professional or personal travel takes you to San Diego.

Resort Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

What an incredible view from the deck of this hotel. The service at this hotel is incredible, from the front desk, to the Kitchen 1540. The outdoor seating area is beautiful. The ability to walk across the street to the plaza is perfect and we were only steps form the beach.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
LAubergeDelMar, Resort Operations Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about L’Auberge Del Mar. I am pleased that you enjoyed the spectacular vista and service to match. I look forward to welcoming you back to our seaside resort in the near future.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at this wonderful seaside hotel that was remodeled about 6 years ago. The hotel looks great, although it is showing signs of wear after just 6 years. The rooms are nice, but small, think big city hotel rooms vs. large resort rooms. It's quite a happening place, with nightly entertainment. They do close the outside bar at 10pm so you can actually go to sleep. All the rooms are close together and overlook the bar. The service is terrific. Everyone is very helpful. We had lunch at the outdoor restaurant overlooking the ocean - great food, great view, great service. You are right in the heart of Del Mar so there are lots of restaurants and shops to walk to. My only complaint was they tried to put us into not the best room. We were paying for a Deluxe King, the only more expensive room was a suite, so I was surprised they tried to stick us with the worst of the high end rooms. But I called the front desk and nicely told him I really didn't like the room and asked if another one was available. They immediately showed us other options. We were celebrating my birthday so it was important to have a nice room. I guess they have to get rid of the worst rooms, just wish it hadn't been my birthday when they tried that on us. As I mentioned, the service was great. It's a small hotel so be prepared for small rooms and bathrooms. It was very nicely remodeled and the location is perfect.

Room Tip: Unless you're from the coast in CA, you might not know that we have May gray and June gloom. So...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HawaiiHappy60
LAubergeDelMar, Resort Operations Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the privilege of hosting you during your birthday celebration! Congratulations on this special milestone and I am pleased that L’Auberge Del Mar enhanced and contributed to your celebration. I apologize that your first room location did not exceed your expectations but I am so pleased to hear that when you encountered your only challenge, our team assisted you directly and quickly.

Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor and I anxiously anticipate many more opportunities to serve you during future special occasions.

Pennsylvania, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We did not meet any royalty, but this place is so nice that you feel like a King! Hard to beat the fresh air and view while having a drink at sunset on the outside deck behind the lobby. The wine list is very nice.

TIP: Leave time to walk around town. It's a very quaint area that should not be missed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
LAubergeDelMar, Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing this glowing feedback. Providing an unmatched guest experience is of paramount importance here at L’Auberge Del Mar. I am pleased to read that we made you feel like royalty. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I stayed at the L'Auberge Del Mar (LDM) for three nights through a work function from a Monday-Thursday.

REASONS I LIKED THE L'AUBERGE DEL MAR
1. Beautiful and convenient location. LDM is situated on the main road of Del Mar Village and a brisk 5 minute walk from one of the most picturesque coastlines I have ever seen (and I grew up in Hawaii). The sunsets are beautiful and early morning at low tide is even better. I was able to run a good three miles on the beach, which is hard packed sand when the tide goes out. Exceptional! In addition, you can walk to a number of shops and restaurants in the village. There is a bar (Jimmy O's) across 15th Street that is open very late, with Karaoke every Tuesday night...but I digress....
2. Comfortable rooms. The bed in my room on the first floor was a bit poofy for my taste, but nonetheless comfortable. The bathroom had beautiful fixtures and was quite luxurious. Toiletries provided were adequate but did not have a "wow" effect. I believe each room has a balcony. Even my first floor room had one, but it was not usable because it was boxed in by trees to shield my from the pool. There was no view and I felt silly sitting in my little forest.
3. "Vintage" feel. LDM is far from cookie cutter. The facilities are by and large up to date, but the hotel has character throughout. The lobby is airy, filled with light and lively. Lots of people hang out there. There are pictures of old Del Mar throughout the establishment.
4. Quality outdoor space on property. The pool and breakfast areas look out on the ocean. There is also a roof venue on the second floor of the property that can be used for functions. After a long day of being cooped up in meetings, having a few drinks outdoors can be extraordinarily refreshing.

WHY YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE L'AUBERGE DEL MAR
A. Front desk staff is trained to upsell rooms. Some people might like this option but others may be turned off by it or even feel like they may have been snookered. Unless you really value a nice room or are price indifferent, just ignore this offer.
B. Valet parking only. Parking in Del Mar Village is extremely tight, so you are forced to valet if you stay here. I don't recall the exact price, but it was in excess of $30. The valets are really nice, though, and they get your car out in a jiffy.
C. Meeting facilities leave something to be desired. The ballroom is located downstairs, and it is rather small with low ceilings. A group of more than 40 people will feel claustrophobic. Breakout rooms are scattered in random locations throughout the hotel and it takes a few minutes to get from room to room. Stairs are non-existent or not easily found.
D. The train. There is a train that travels along the beach from San Diego to the north and back. The whistle blows regularly, so it may wake you up in the morning. More importantly, the train comes around a bend with limited sight lines and no barrier. Be careful when you head down the beach, especially if you walk along the train tracks!

In short, I enjoyed my stay at LDM. But much of what made it special was what is located around LDM, not necessarily the hotel itself.

Room Tip: If you get a room other than on the first floor, you will probably have a better balcony than I did!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank gocats89
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your review providing so many details and insights. I am particularly struck by the detail that you provided future visitors to our seaside resort. I appreciate your thoughtful review and concern to advise fellow travelers of the tips, locations and moments that made your stay so memorable and special. I also appreciate your candid feedback about enhancement opportunities for our seaside resort. Please be assured that I take all feedback seriously and appreciate your time and effort to provide. Finally, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back to L’Auberge Del Mar in the near future.

Del Mar, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My sister and I stayed here for a girl's night back and were hoping for a quiet night drinking wine, catching up, and visiting the spa. Quiet is NOT what you get here. We were in a corner room, but it was on the back side of the hotel where we could hear the cars going in and out of the parking garage under the hotel. There is a loud strip of metal the cars roll over that clangs. The kicker, though, was when I turned off our chick flick to hear the couple next door enjoying one another. We had an adjoining door that might as well have been wide open. I didn't call the front desk, to save our neighbors potential embarrassment (we did turn the TV back on), but I did call when the buffaloes starting running across our ceiling. I mean, there was NO quiet in this room. My sister, a complete hotel snob, was mortified at this hotel. I have had way quieter experiences paying far less than this hotel charges. Aside from noise, the hotel is decorated very nicely, and our room was beautiful. You do have a great view from the pool and you could easily walk to Powerhouse Park and the beach. I live in Del Mar so I wasn't oohing and ahhing as much as someone who wasn't local, but I appreciated being next door to Americana Cafe, which is one of our favorite places to eat breakfast. The spa was great, though small. The steam room was quite steamy and our massages were wonderful. I had Pia and she was very good. At the end of it all, the management offered us a comped night if we came back, but I haven't and won't. When my family comes into town I refer them to Rancho Valencia or Estancia.

Room Tip: Do not get a room with an adjoining door. If you do, just open it and introduce yourself to the peo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank jkdt3
LAubergeDelMar, Resort Operations Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing valuable feedback on your recent stay at our seaside resort. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the ambiance and decor of the resort and the unmatched service that our spa provided. Still, I would like to apologize on behalf of our team for your experience during your stay. It concerns me deeply that you were consistently disturbed by other guest’s during your stay. I assure you that the experience you described is unusual. I extend my apologies and hope that this atypical experience does not deter you from visiting us in the future as I would personally ensure an unmatched experience should you return.

Shyam Uppal
Arlington, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Sometimes when I visit the west coast I wonder why don't we move here? Del Mar is one of those places that always make me ask that question. I booked the L'Auberge Del Mar through Jet Setter to give us a little pre-honeymoon before the big day and got a rate of ~$350 per night. The staff at check-in pushed really hard (almost too hard) and finally got me to pay for a significant upgrade to one of the end suites 'overlooking the ocean'. The view was OK, but even with the alleged big discount I didn't see the value in the room for the money. I would rate the L’Auberge on the upper end of mid-grade to the low end of high-grade boutique hotels. It is perfectly located for walking around the shops and beach of Del Mar.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5.0 of 5 stars 602 reviews
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa

Been to L'Auberge Del Mar? Share your experiences!