“Enjoyed Every Minute Of It”
Review of L'Auberge Del Mar

L'Auberge Del Mar
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 29, 2008

This review is late in coming, however, I want to submit my comments just the same. On our drive down to San Diego, my wife and I spent two nights at L’Auberge. Our stay was during the season’s last running at The Del Race Track, September 3rd. We found the entire staff to be first rate and first class. From unloading our vehicle to the front desk, these people couldn’t have made us feel any more welcome than they did.

Lunch on the patio was excellent as was the service, and you can’t beat the view.

I asked about the gym and was informed that it was part of the current remodel and could not be used, however, I was told that accommodations could be had at a local gym and The Hotel would arrange for transportation both to and from the gym. You can’t beat that.

About the train: Yes it runs fairly often and yes some people might be annoyed by this, however, for me and my wife, it didn’t bother us in the least. Having taken the time to view the pictorial history of the hotel and The Del Mar Area, (more photographs on the lower level) one will learn that the hotel and the train having been operating since the turn of the century. One might say they co-exist in that one cannot have the wonderful location as does this hotel without being in close proximity to the train. I believe the sound of the train is a small price to pay for the beauty of this fine hotel and its location.

Larry Weinberger
Camarillo, CA

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bombolini

Reviewed September 10, 2008

Stayed three nights at L'Auberge. Overall it is a lovely place. The staff is first rate (those valets really hustle). The location is excellent -- just steps from the Beach and the village, with lots of dining and shopping options. The rooms are lovely and are well equipped. We stayed in the lowest category room and it was great. The food is also very good. My only criticism is that the pool area is small for the number of guests so finding a place to lounge was a bit of a problem. I also thought the resort fee was a bit excessive -- coffee and newspapers are not really that much.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Naveron
Reviewed August 6, 2008

The location of the hotel is beautiful. Minutes from the beach, walking, and right next to some very nice dining across the streets on both sides, the resort has some prime real estate. Unfortunately, they had just done a remodel and are still working out the kinks. I am giving this review a 4, but it should be around a 3 until they get a few months down the road. The rooms are beautifully done with lots of amenities, but the views seem better online than they do when you get there. The pool is very loud at almost all hours of the night and the train runs constantly! Not their fault, but it's a nuisance when you're looking for a peaceful stay. Me and my husband stayed there so we could go to the Del Mar Race track, and the location is perfect for that. Our server at the pool, Amanda, was very helpful and pointed us in the direction of some fine restaurants across the street. Do check out Pacifica Del Mar, across the street because their restaurant was not in service yet. The spa is also still under construction and the service in the meantime is just so-so. Mussain, from the front desk was also very helpful and apologized for the delay in checking in and sent us up some very fine amenities. But I would recommend waiting a few months until they have the restaurant and spa ready to visit this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank miami_gal_48
Reviewed June 21, 2008

We decided to stay at L'Auberage for a couple of days for a nice relaxing time. Didn't happen. We had just stayed 4 days on Coronado so our expectations were high. First the hotels website is very misleading. It shows pictures of a nice green park over looking the beach....That is not L'Auberage property. That is part of the Del Mar City Beach. L'Auberage is located across the train tracks up a hill 250 yards away. Did I mention train track? You will hear the train a minimum of 30 times a day and yes through the night.
We arrived at about 12:30 with check-in at 4:00. We asked if they could expedite the process, didn't happen. Parking...NO ONSITE PARKING VALET ONLY $25 A DAY CHARGE. We got to our room at 3:50. The room overlooked the pool with a partial view of the ocean. Very nice room. Fireplace. Balcony. Mini-bar. Marbled bathroom. A nice relaxing place right? Any room facing the ocean and pool is not the place to be if you want any kind of sleep. They host private business parties on one level, the bar area keeps rocking until 11:00, and the train whistles are heard everytime you are about to doze off. They set up private business conference breakfast starting at 6:00 am near the pool, so no sleeping in either.
The spa is a temporary one until the new one is finished December 2008. My wife and I both got massages. Okay for both of us, but the whole spa experience wasn't in a place for that spa relaxtion we were both looking for. No sauna.
We chose not to eat at the temporary restaurant. The new one won't be done until December 2008. We just across the street and found about 20 places to eat. If you need any water or groceries a great HARVEST MARKET is located there too.
All in all they are still working out kinks. We weren't the only that had a bad time...Checking out. 4 other people were yelling at the front desk. One poor guy missed his flight because his wake up call didn't come through. A problem with the computer they said. Ooops.

I'd rather have the oceanfront room at Hotel Del Coronado for less price than stay at L'Auberage again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank kahuna87
Reviewed February 1, 2008

We stayed there a while ago, and it was mostly excellent, albeit pricey. We had a suite, so the room was very nice and spacious with beautiful decor and linens. Service was very good overall, except for one incident with the front desk. The gal just did not seem to want to work very hard. All the other staff -- waiter, room service, valet, etc. -- was very service-oriented. The food was tasty and beautifully presented.

We visited the spa and it was a disappointment. There was no steam room, and the jacuzzi was outdoors. Who would want to don on a bathing suit after a massage to go outside and soak. The waiting (lounge) area was very small. In fact, the whole spa was small. The masseuse and facial staff were quite good and attentive, however.

Overall, it was a very nice stay. It was no Four Seasons, but I would probably return.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank WLAMom
Reviewed September 20, 2007

We recently spent two nights at the L'Auberge. It was an excellent, though quirky, luxury resort. The rooms were of average size and ours opened into the interior pool/courtyard with a little view of the ocean. The beds were very comfortable and the decor was California-seaside with light wood and patterned fabrics. The staff was very helpful and everything worked in the rooms. I liked the location: a short walk downhill to the beach and beach-side restaurants and just across the street from the little main street of this part of Del Mar. It was relatively expensive but not overly so for this type of sea-side resort: this hotel is a step below the Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton's of the Coast in services, finish and cost. But, it had an old-California charm that I particulary enjoyed.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jeffdoc
Reviewed August 25, 2007

We were looking for a couple of relaxing days on the beach and booked the L'Auberge through our CWT travel agent. The hotel is across the street from the Del Mar beach and we got a reasonable price.

Imagine our dismay when we arrived and found that our room would be $65 more than listed on our reservation. When I pointed out that the rate was different I was asked if I had a copy of the reservation. I produced a copy that showed the confirmation number and the rate set by our travel agent. I was then told by the very unfriendly staff that this was impossible because it was a busy time for them and that our reservation would not be honored. We're on vacation, my wife and son are waiting, and now I'm in a hostile negotiation with the staff of this hotel. This is not the way to relax. My next option was to call the travel agency, which is a mainstream international firm, and see if they could confirm the reservation process. They said that this had happened to them before at the L'Auberge and that they could straighten it out by talking to the sales manager. So, I had to help summon the sales manager and connect her with the travel agent. The sales manager decided to honor the reservation as it was originally made and spoke to the front desk staff. They grudgingly setup our room without so much as a token apology. When I had the room secured I told them in a very calm way that this was a most unpleasant experience and that it could have been handled in a much better way. I was then told that they were just doing what they were told to do and that this was their job. When I objected to this explanation based on the reversal by the sales manager, I was told that no, this is the way they work and they would apologize for the reservations department.

The room was OK but nothing special. The location is great but I would not recommend this hotel to anyone based on this experience.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 279 in San Diego

Been to L'Auberge Del Mar? Share your experiences!