“A Must-Not Miss If You're in Del Mar”
Review of L'Auberge Del Mar

L'Auberge Del Mar
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, California
“A Must-Not Miss If You're in Del Mar”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I actually got married here, so I may be a little bias, but this place is spectacular. The rooms are beautiful, the staff is friendly and the food is outstanding. There's no better place to be than sitting outside with a glass of wine and taking in the beautiful sunset over the ocean. If you don't stay here, you should stop in for a cocktail.

It's the ideal location in Del Mar, nestled right in the downtown area. Most shops and restaurants are within walking distance.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with this place....it's stunning!

Room Tip: Book the ones with a fireplace
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ashley G
LAubergeDelMar, Director of Resort Operations at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Ashley,
Congratulations on your wedding! I am so pleased to hear that you had a fabulous time here at L'Auberge on your wedding day! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
Kind Regards,
Victoria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I was here for a work event, but it felt like a vacation based on the service and amenities. Great food, warm and attentive staff, and beautiful views. I'd come back in a heartbeat! The front desk was very helpful in accommodating a later checkout (though I had to pay), and always addressed me by name. The event staff was fabulous - there for every need. All of our attendees were in love with the experience, which is an important part of the event. I want to come back here for a real vacation now!

Room Tip: Splurge on the ocean view - you'll be glad you did.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We arrived at 11AM and they had a room ready for us:). The room was very clean, large and included a safe and fridge. The large balcony faced the main street(valet parking) but was very quiet. Unfortunately, the bathroom didn't have a bathtub.(I like to soak.) The soap provided smelled great.
We went to brunch on the terrace and I enjoyed the lobster Benny with prosciutto which was great, except I thought the hash brown potatoes that accompanied it were undercooked. My husband had the California omelette and thought it was ok. The service was fantastic.
After a walk on the beach we headed to the pool to soak up the sun. The pool server was friendly and attentive. We enjoyed the jacuzzi.
In opposition to other reviewers, everyone I encountered that worked there was friendly and helpful.
Total bill for 1 night $471. ( Room, brunch and valet) I expected turn down service with a chocolate on my pillow- but that would be a 5*hotel.

Room Tip: You might want an ocean view if you're going to spend lots of time on the balcony.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kpocampo
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 4 nights on our mini-moon. We wanted something a little different than the hotels we have stayed in previously saying it was a special time. Online this hotel looks fantastic, really a step above. However when we arrived this was not the case. My husband and i arrived really late from, arrived outside the hotel, with no idea where to park ect, when we had eventually parked, and dragged in the luggage we met the valet at the reception desk?? We then were checked in by a man who had no need, nor want to be there and made this quite clear durning the booking in process. My husband unknown to me had emailed the hotel a couple of days in advance to ask for something to be set up in the room, and was totally discussed to find not only were we given the wrong room as we paid through the nose for upgrades, but there was nothing in the room to mark the first night of our mini-moon. In the morning he got the room changed, which was really no different to the other one apart from a fireplace, tiny rooms, tiny bathrooms. The staff also reassured him that there would be strawberries and bubbly in the room for our return, but there wasn't.....giving up my husband said nothing more. However the following day Jane did come though. This hotel has the ability to be great, the village, the setting and the actual hotel are good, its customer service and overpriced rooms let it down. Unfortunately i cant get these 4 days back of my mini-moon but if you want a hotel in a really pretty place, and your not fussed on customer service, then this is your place. If you want something more personal, then look somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Faffy2014
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

I really did want to like it. The location is very good, close to the beach and shops. But the front desk staff (evening shift in particular) were unfriendly and showed their disdain for guests. I walked up on a valet talking to the front desk about a guest that had just arrived - and they weren't being professional or kind in the conversation. Then, the shower flooded each time it was used and the refrigerator in the room didn't work. For the high priced reputation I expected much better.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Oklahomagirlok
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 15, 2014

First impression is important, wouldn't you agree? When I got there the front desk person got my reservation mixed up. I wanted a doulbe bed and she gave me a King bed. When I went back to the front desk she seemed puzzled yet her manager? promptly took care of it.
But the room I got was too small compared to some of other rooms that I saw later. My pictures shows how small the closet and bathroom was. It was disappointing. I ended up upgrading it to a second floor, Ocean view which was much better but it was next to outdoor stairs going up to a patio and people could overlook inside my room. Besides those minor distractions, I enjoyed the hotel.

The staff was friendly and attentive and location was great. Few steps to the beach and many great restaurants around the hotel. I had breakfast at the outdoor restaurant. I was told that it served the same menu as the hotel's main restaurant. The food was good but not impressive. Maybe I should have tried their lobster, prosciutto, dish... Waitress was very accomodating.

The room was clean and very inviting.

Laster, a nice 2 minute walk to the beach. It had the small beach town kind of feel.

Next time I might bring my family.

Room Tip: Some rooms seems to have very small closet and bathrooms. If you get one of those, ask for another...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank PeterTraveling
Irvine, California
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Stayed here on a stay-cation weekend, great location close to restaurants and Del Mar beach. Unfortunately a lot of the regular rooms have ZERO view and you will have to pay extra for a partial sea view. I was so disappointed in the bed! It was the most uncomfortable, creaky, lumpy bed I've ever slept in. Needless to say, my husband and I did not sleep well, which really ruins the point of a vacation. There was also traffic noise, so definitely not good for a light sleeper. Brunch was pretty good, and I know their restaurant has great reviews, but it didn't blow me away. Also, I found it tacky that 3 of the servers were standing around chatting the entire time we were there. Also, no spa privileges included in the resort fee. Will not be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort

Been to L'Auberge Del Mar? Share your experiences!