“Nice Vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sandy Springs, Georgia
“Nice Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while on vacation in the San Diego area. Overall the actual hotel was beautiful, the room was clean and spacious. The one thing that we felt was lacking was service. When we vacation we typically splurge on hotel and have gotten used to a certain level of service that tends to come with spending over $400 a night on a hotel room. One example is that we asked for a bottle of water at the outside bar and they said they didn't have any, to go inside and check. We went inside to the restaurant bar where they sold us a bottle for $4. We went to the pool both days and while the guys working the pool area were nice they were not very attentive and waited at their stand to be asked for towels, etc without showing much initiative. There were 2 weddings, which is understandable, however I am very glad we did not pay extra for the "ocean" view as I am sure it would have been very noisy in those rooms. The weddings went on till late in the evenings and we could hear the noise from our balcony but it did not disturb us as our room was located on the other side of the building. We would consider staying here again but I woulnd't go out of my way to do so, unfortunately because the grounds and room were gorgeous, it was just lacking that special level of service that we were looking for.

1 Thank cml21
LAubergeDelMar, Director of Resort Operations at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback; it is very important to us to know how we can improve our guests' experiences. I will address your pool service concerns with the staff promptly, as we pride ourselves in exceptional service and providing you with a memorable experience. Thank you and we look forward to your return!
Kind Regards,
Victoria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Need to make it clear I did not stay at this hotel, but I took a course and spent 3 full days at this supposedly posh place and I also check out one of their rooms as other students on the course were staying there. Frankly if I paid that much for a hotel, I would have been very upset.

First, yes sure the lobby and rooms were nice but nothing spectacular. There was no bath in the bathroom, as large as the shower is, for me, I expect a good size tub if it is a 5 star hotel. Also, the twin rooms were a bit cramped. If the rooms are not that big, then don't use such large pieces of furniture. Also, their pool was small and gets very crowded. Second, staff was not particularly friendly, they were either obnoxious or one was courteous but incompetent. Third, had lunch there one day, the supposedly good grilled salmon was pathetic. Others had burger and seafood salad and I guess they were alright. Lastly, the toilet on G/F had flushing problems and the staff knew about it as I saw 2 handy men coming to check on my way out. However, they did not put up any signs to let guests know they were out of order and when we used it next, well, it was nasty as er.. things that were supposed to be flushed were not. Frankly, I am quite appalled by the experience and surprised they are a 5 star.

I stayed at Hilton Del Mar nearby for 7 nights and yes, it is Hilton afterall so nothing fancy, but they are less than or about half the price of L'Auberge but I had a good stay with none of the above problems, room was actually quite a bit bigger, food was cheaper but great, they have complimentary shuttle service, staff was genuinely helpful, so I am happy with them and think they are of good value. Whereas if I had spent USD2300+ for 7 nights at L'Aurberge, I would really regret it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Yvonne A
boulder, co
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at this property recently for a wedding. First, the good: great views from the common areas, mostly high quality common areas, high quality individualized service, and food befitting of the price point. The bad: substandard/terrible views from the preponderance of rooms, effusive ambient noise for sleeping, rooms severely in need of upgrading given the price point, and overall look/feel more consistent with a common chain property. Five stars admittedly can mean different things to different people; that said, insofar as it's the highest denomination for lodging properties I would respectfully offer some comparisons. That is, one would NEVER confuse this property for other unreservedly superior boutique beach properties like Shutters or Post Ranch -- full stop, not even a close call. Accordingly, let's just be clear about what this property actually is so that others aren't disappointed or misled: it's a perfectly nice hotel in a quaint town with great views and nice people (i.e., think 3+ star property in a 4 star location).

Room Tip: As far away from train tracks, and parking lots as possible.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dylanjefferies
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Gotta admit, after reading the reviews about L'Auberge from fellow travelers, I was apprehensive because of the comments about the noise and about the service. But......let me tell a different tale. We were there for a three day wedding (wow!) and from the moment we drove up, the service was world class. Sean, our bellman, couldn't do enough to please us. Knowledgeable and friendly, he was welcoming and informative. Off to a terrific start. Raj and Jane helped us check in and again, there was no request that was too much for them. They handled all our questions and concerns with professionalism and a smile. When we went up to our room, it wasn't exactly what we were seeking and we called down to the front desk and spoke to Brooks. Not only did he immediately change our room, but he left the front desk and personally inspected our new room to make sure we were satisfied. Don't know about you, but we don't normally experience this type of treatment at even the finer hotels we have stayed at. And to Brooks, it was simply part of the everyday service. Imagine that! Throughout our stay, we had numerous front desk discussions with Wade and Joe who took care of us as if we were the only people in the joint. Our room had a balcony that we loved and also had floor to ceiling windows with wooden shades. Bright and airy. All the wedding stuff took place at the same hotel, so we ate at the hotel for just about every meal. We found the food inventive, creative, extremely favorable and priced very reasonably for what we received. Again, the wait-staff was attentive without being intrusive while being very warm and engaging. All in all, our experience was so wonderful that my wife and I are thinking of renewing our vows at L'Auberge. The hotel is 100 yards from the beach, but the pool is very satisfying if you don't feel like making the jaunt to the waves. The pool chairs tend to fill up on the quick side so stake your claim early. Final tally: Fabulous location. Fabulous food. Fabulous Service. We had a fabulous time.

Room Tip: Weddings take place often at this wonderful place. First floor rooms may not be your best bet if you...
1 Thank jeffreyweber
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for some badly needed R & R. Unfortunately the hotel has numerous affairs going on day and night and have not trained their staff on how to set up without screaming and banging chairs, tables, and anything else nearby. The hotel set up (U-shaped) also does not lend itself to peace and quiet. Upon our departure, we heard another guest complaining about the noise as well. I travel every week and you expect to be woken up at 0600 at a Courtyard but not when paying $400+/night. This hotel really needs to train their folks that guests come there to sleep beyond 0600 in most cases and should consider starting their functions at 0900 or later to give guests what they paid for.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor rooms near the restaurant as they are extremely noisy
2 Thank russ n
Lafayette, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

The reservation staff was very pleasant and helpful... everyone else did not seem very interested in helping me, or making me feel welcome. You would think that $400.00/night would at least buy you a smile but no.
They "misplaced" my vehicle in the valet garage. When I asked for my car they said that "we do not have a vehicle under that name" and then instead of trying to work with me to figure it out, the valet stormed off to assist other customers while I stood there. So I walked from the entrance all the way to the valet garage myself, to find my car, take a picture and walk all the way back to the entrance to tell the idiots to go and bring me my vehicle or at least give me my keys so I can get it myself.
The beds are small, and uncomfortable, the bathroom is nothing more special than what you would find at a Holiday Inn. Drinks are extremely overpriced (which is to be expected). Unless you are dead set on a room with an ocean view, go somewhere else. The Hilton right up the road was 10 times better for less than half the price of this place.

Green Features: I personally can care less about environmental friendliness, but if they really want to promote this, they should do a better job.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Robert G
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel is absolutely spectacular! Beautiful rooms, gorgeous views, great service. I have been here three different times, all for romantic weekends. This is one of my favorite get-away places. Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Pantai Inn
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to L'Auberge Del Mar? Share your experiences!