“Where can I buy the pillows?”
Review of L'Auberge Del Mar

L'Auberge Del Mar
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Came here for business meetings 01/08/12 to 01/11/12 and my experience was flawless. Clean and comfortable. Was pleasantly surprised by fireplace in room!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
37  Thank Amber A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,031)

Reviewed January 12, 2012

The lobby is welcoming and check-in was easy although when I asked for a quiet room, I seemed to throw the receptionist for a loop. He said that there were two rooms available (one on the south side and one on the north). I told him whichever was quieter. The girl who showed us to the room had absolutely no personality and essentially offered no information other than "here is your room". We stayed in room 240S.
The room was fine - clean and well appointed. The bed was comfortable but I hate mattress covers that are loose and bunch up in the middle of the night. Internet was part of the resort fee but it was easy to log on and it was fast enough for what I needed. We were on the second floor and able to hear people walking above us so if you are a light sleeper beware. We also had the "premium" room but there was no fireplace in ours. It always annoys me that there is a class of room and they are not all alike.
I was awakened at 0700 with workers chatting below us in the food prep area. I looked out of the window and below us was the set up area for breakfast. This is a quiet room? If I was going to be spending a lot if time in my room, I would have asked to be moved as I did hear glasses, plates, ice being shoveled most of the time that we were in the room when the restaurant was open. We had lunch at the restaurant outside one of the days and had to wait 10 minutes for the menu to switch over as two of our friends wanted lunch instead of breakfast (it was 2pm on Sunday). The restaurant food was fine, nothing really to be wowed about.
The grounds are very well kept and the pool, spa, hot tub all looked very nice. It is a short walk to the beach but not very easy if you are handicapped or have a stroller. The trains did not run the weekend that we were there as they were fixing the bridge. They ran the last morning and actually were not quite as bad as I thought that they would be.
Probably the best feature of this hotel besides its' location in Del Mar, is the personnel that work the valet station out in front. They were by far the most personable/pleasant staff working there.

Room Tip: This time of year, you will not see the sunset from south rooms facing pool. Room 240S does not have...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2012

If you haven't been there you really must visit. It has become one of our favorite places for a nearby escape. Great ambiance, superb food with an excellent variety. if you choose to leave the property, one can walk across the street (or down toward the ocean) to several very good restaurants and some shopping as well. There is also a very nice market with superb wines and cheese directly across the street.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I wanted to go to San Diego to welcome my husband home from Iraq. We looked at the poor and terrible reviews and they were not that bad but there were some issues. I was just happy there were no bed bugs on the reviews. We booked this hotel and arrived on the 31 of Dec. We drove around the hotel trying the find the entrance and we found a parking garage. The garage was cramped and smelled. It smelled because the garbage cans were located in the garage. We got on a small,old, and smelly elevator that look like it was built in the 1800's. When we went to the lobby it was nice and looked like the pictures on the website. We checked in and we were told we were going to get a fireplace over the phone, none were available. It was a disappointment but I wanted my ocean view so we proceeded to move on. We used the smelly elevator which is one on each side of the hotel, so the staff has to use it and push their cleaning carts and vacuums in the elevator. We were shock cause we were paying plenty of money for this place. When we got to our room. It smelled old and musty. There was no microwave(I'll explain later), the refrigerator was full with things to purchase and there was no room to put our water or drinks. The carpet was filthy. The patio door has to be pushed and kicked open. And of course the ocean view isn't really a view the beach is indeed a 3-5 minute walk from the hotel. We called guest services, they sent a non English speaking maid and we were clueless so I called the guest services again. They sent the supervisor and she came with a small bottle of nonfunctioning spray(it may have been empty she couldn't get anything out of it) and it didn't work so she was trying to figure out what to do. I told her to get carpet cleaning and maybe vacuum the floor. We went to management they offered us a room without a view. Even though it wasn't much I wanted the view. But we should have took the room so we would not have to pay what we paid for. Eventually the room was bearable. My husband was trying to look for other places to stay since it was new yrs everything was booked or too experience. I wanted to go to the spa to unwind and I made an appointment. The clerk at the desk said I will be talking to the massage therapist to go over a package for me. When I met up with the therapist she said I was down for a relaxing message and since it was so late I could not get the package I wanted. We couldn't come back tomorrow so I got the message and talk to the clerk at the desk and she offered me to come back and she will take 25 dollars off the message for being misled. 25 dollars what a joke. I was so angry, we went to eat dinner and the portions were small and overpriced. We went out to bring back something that was affordable and there wasn't a place to warm it up or a place to put it in the fridge. At night you will hear the train and no ear plugs were found near the bed as reported by a previous post or by the staff. You can hear all the noise from the dinning area outside the patio and the staff doesn't have consideration, but what do you do when the dining area is outside right by everyone's room. I am happy we left, we did stay all our days because we didn't want to spoil my husbands welcome back from Iraq, but he was very disappointed he said we could have stayed in the Hampton Inn and we should have the rooms we stayed in the past was nicer. We had a living room area and all the amenities for a great rate at the Hampton INN. This place is overpriced. Never again will we stay, my husband is going to Afghanistan in May we will do a cruise.

Room Tip: Get some where cheaper unless you have the money to throw away.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank realpers0n
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We took the kids (3 and 5) down to San Diego to hit the theme parks/zoos. We were tired of staying in the traditional "kid friendly" hotels, so we thought we'd step it up and hope for the best. We were very pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is medium sized, easy to navigate, beautiful and immaculate if you like the traditional decor and style. The lobby has a beautiful bar, well furnished and abundant seating areas and a view of the ocean and pool.

The rooms are well equipped with all the amenities, although our two double bed room seemed more European sized than standard American (shower only, no bath). But the room like the hotel has everything you need, from large plasma to wireless and hard wire to gourmet coffee machine, etc etc.

The staff is always pleasant and friendly, from the valets to the front desk to the housekeeping. There is a great "coffee shop" that serves b/l/d and has good choices.

The pool is very chic, cool and quaint, with a fire pit, water wall and nice lounge areas overlooking the ocean.

The cost of our stay for two days was about $1K, including two meals, valet parking (25.00) and resort fee, which is not cheap.

The resort is beautiful and awesome for a couples retreat which will be the case on our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Rod M
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We made our reservation with Expedia well in advance of our one night stay and had received email confirmation for the date we specified. Upon check-in, the front desk told us that our reservation was for the night before (which of course we had missed) and I had to produce my hard copy confirmation to show otherwise. We were given a wheelchair access room on the ground floor (not what I had booked or expected). Although clean and roomy, there was virtually no counter space in the bathroom, only one sink and one mirror. This made it difficult for my husband and me to get ready at the same time in the morning. Our ground floor patio opened directly next to the terrace restaurant, which made it too noisy to open the door. Guests at the restaurant could also look directly into our room; therefore we had to keep the shutters closed for privacy. The in-room air conditioner was very loud, making it hard to hear the TV or get a good night's sleep. After additional hotel-imposed mandatory fees were added at check-out, our room cost $347 for the one night we stayed there. Although the hotel grounds were beautiful and the L'Auberge is located close to the beach, in my opinion the room experience did not equal the rate charged.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Louise G
Reviewed December 30, 2011

My family: (17 year old twins) and my husband and I stayed there over Christmas and had a really nice time. The greeting from Josh at the valet area was very welcoming and check in was a breeze. He remained great throughout our stay and departure as did the rest of the hard working valets. We had a lovely huge balcony that overloked the ocean and pool. The rooms were quite well appointed, spacious and very clean. The Keurig coffee amenties were a nice addition. We had to ask for robes but for the most part everything you could have wanted was in there.

The pool is heated, although small, and the jacuzzi was in use quite a bit by us and a lot of the guests. The only downside would be the small children that were splashing in when you are trying to relax.

The concierge Vicki was quite helpful and even offered to arrange private surf lessons for one of my daughters. The ocean was quite cold, so we thought better of it and decided not to do it.

My daughters ordered room service quite a bit and the service was great and the food was tasty. We ate in the restaurant Kitchen 1540 for breakfast one morning which was very good, as well as for Christmas dinner, which was OK. We did asked to be moved from inside since it is a very loud open kitchen, so consider that when being seated. We went outside (a bit chilly, even with heaters) and had dinner there. This is where they loose a star. The service was severely lacking. They automatically added gratuity, so maybe the incentive was lost in serving us. It took quite a while to get wine, and then our server never checked back to see how dinner was, and we continued in that limbo of no service. Since it was chilly this added to a bit of unhappiness in the group. We traded quiet to enjoy our Christmas conversation and meal over loud and possibly better service. The three course dinner was so so, and we did not feel compelled to go back for another dinner. There are so many really great food options nearby--with the exception of the Mexican restaurant, which we did not like. Crepes and Corks is delish!

Most of the staff was outstanding and quite helpful and we loved our location for getting to the surrounding areas of the Gas Lamp Quarter, Coronado, the Zoo and Solano beach. I would absolutely go back. The property is very pretty. And about the train, yes you can hear it, and they do provide ear plugs in the nightstand if you so desire. We didn't use them because you do get used to it. The beds are so comfy that once in there the train noise fades in the distance.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 286 in San Diego

Been to L'Auberge Del Mar? Share your experiences!