Del Mar Motel on the Beach
Hilton San Diego/Del Mar(Del Mar)(Great Value!)
$173
$156
$317
$299
  • Pool
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar(Del Mar)(Great Value!)
$141
$136
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar(Del Mar)(Great Value!)
$261
$221
BestWestern.com
Les Artistes(Del Mar)(Great Value!)
$135
$125
Winners Circle Resort(Solana Beach)(Great Value!)
$174
Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach(Solana Beach)(Great Value!)
$149
$139
$132
  • Breakfast included
Villa L'Auberge(Del Mar)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewslifeguard stationboogie boardsbeach chairsshops and restaurantsbeautiful parkrooms are cleanhear the wavesshort walkwatch the sunsetthe location is perfectstayed nightscoffee makersan diegooceanposeidonpatiojakes
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've stayed here several times over the past year, so I've seen a few different rooms on both floors. I was originally going to rate it a 3 but I don't think that's fair given the location and photos available for the property. First, anyone who looks for a photo of the hotel should know immediately that they aren't going to be at the Hilton. It's an older building for sure, and some things show their age, but it's not run-down by any means. That being said, I rated it according to what it was and what it claimed to be.

If you're staying here, the primary reason is for the location. You're situated right on a great beach and minutes (walking distance) away from great restaurants. Only a few rooms have ocean views. All of the rooms I stayed in were small but clean. Each has A/C, its own fridge, microwave, and desk. Most of the TVs are small, but you shouldn't be staying on the beach to watch TV.

I would say my biggest complaint (if you were to call it that) is the noise from kids running up and down the walkways. It doesn't happen often but it's loud!

Overall, it's a no frills way to be right on the beach with a fantastic patio, charcoal bbq's, comfortable rooms, and to shower off when you're done with the sand and sun.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank volyblmn
radelowgittins, General Manager at Del Mar Motel on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for taking time to write your review. We are constantly trying to improve the property, and should you be a return guest then you can see something new every year.
We hope you will come back and visit us again very soon. It is always our pleasure to ensure you have a nice stay.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

In itself, the motel has a shabby aura - rotting air conditioners, smelly hallways, etc. Even though those hallways are open to the fresh air!
However, the man who "welcomed" us in the dingy office was young, abrupt & generally rude! No personality, no "Glad you're here" - Corrected my husband by saying: "I already told you that"!
A really, really unplesant start to a $600.00 - for 3 nights - holiday.

Room Tip: Don't get the room we got, right over the stairway!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank discoverers2

It appears our accommodations in general did not meet your expectations. We are constantly trying to improve the property every year, especially replacing the older A/C unites. We have made many upgrades to the property over the years and will continue to do so.

As far as the lackluster customer service you received, this is not acceptable behavior and has been addressed with all staff members.
It is important for me to know when our services or products do not meet our guests’ expectations so we can take the appropriate measures to correct all areas. So I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Loved this place mainly for it being a beachfront location! Just a few steps from your room and you're on the beach. We loved not having to pack up the car, drive, fight traffic and parking, unload and carry everything to the sand. One of us always got up early to "stake our claim" on the beach, returning later to our spot. The motel offers guests FREE beach chairs, towels, umbrellas, beach toys and boogie boards during your stay. Can't get any more convenient than that!

Room was basic, updated recently, but nothing fancy, and clean. We wished we had a room closer up front to the beach, but being closer to street wasn't too bad; just had a 30 second longer walk to the beach. One of the negatives, for me - a very light sleeper - were the trains that ran all night - tracks are directly behind motel, just on other side of street. Yes! they ran almost all night until about midnight or 1am, starting up again around 5am. Didn't get much sleep all 5 nights we were there. But it wasn't an issue for my husband and kids, who are much better sleepers than me. But for me, even with windows closed, it was LOUD.

Room was small and cramped for the 4 of us, tiny bathroom. But we adapted and after the first full day, we were fine with it. Being right on the beach for us, was so awesome, that we were able to deal with this fact. Small fridge and coffee maker in room was nice. There is also a fresh brewed coffee in Office if you need more.
Our room was lacking luggage racks/holders, which would have helped a lot. Had to keep luggage on ground or on table. Doesn't cost much to add 2 of those per room. Also needed more hangers. Again, doesn't cost much to add to rooms.
Motel had very nice patio area in front, next to sand, with lounge chairs and table and chairs. Also a nice long area along side of motel with tables/chairs, benches and charcoal BBQ's. Nice area to relax and cook up a meal.

Parking lot is quite small and was a problem in evenings. But they had a valet, who would park your car for you when no spaces were available, usually in Poseidon parking lot on the other side of motel (next door).

We absolutely LOVED the beautiful, quaint town of Del Mar. All shops and restaurants were within walking distance. Great little park less than 1/8 mile down, where one night they had a wonderful music festival, with a band. Park has sweeping view of endless ocean. Gorgeous, clean and upscale little town.
Del Mar Pizza nearby, Smash burger and many other restaurants closeby.

Ice machine was broken for most of the days . Had to get ice from Poseidon restaurant next door, whose staff told us this ice machine is ALWAYS broken. It looks 20 years old! TIME TO REPLACE IT PEOPLE!!!

Overall, we really loved this place and can't wait to return....this time with earplugs for me to block out the train noise. =)

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for an oceanfront room - rooms here look larger and are farther away from the train tracks, and obviously have ocean/beach views.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jughead345

Thank you for taking time to write your review, we are constantly trying to improve the property with something new every year. Our guests have seen a dramatic change in the property over the years, and all for the better.
We hope you will come back and visit us again very soon. It is always our pleasure to help assist in making your time with us the best.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Mixed bag overall! Someone was having a party and took several of the very limited parking spaces available. Forcing us to double park and move our car 3 times in just a few hours(There was no valet on duty). "The party" was right outside our room and took up all of the BBQ/table area for their entire stay. The ice machine was broken and management was in no hurry to get it fixed. There was a broken outlet in the room, as well. The gentleman who helped us at the front desk was very helpful and nice, but his hands were tied and what he could do to compensate was limited. Access to the beach is great, but for the money I do not believe that the service or amenities are worth the cost. I would rather stay down the street, where I have stayed previously, and felt like a desired patron rather than a nuisance.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I couldn't believe the amazing price we paid for a hotel on the beach in the height of summer! There are no frills about this place, but who needs them when I can walk out my door right to the sand. Poseidon restaurant and Jakes are right next door for great meals and you're a short walk away from downtown Del Mar.
The rooms were quiet, which I was a little worried about with the train so close, but I couldn't hear a thing! Air conditioning and a comfy king size bed = slept like an angel.
This was a great find for a weekend getaway!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple