“Breathtaking View!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Miami, Florida
“Breathtaking View!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

This is my second time at Del Mar Beach Hotel but my first time to review them . You cannot beat the price for the view. The rooms are clean and comfy and staff are really friendly and found eager to please. The hotel is small but i really like the feel of it versus some of the 300 room places I have stayed before. It gives an intimacy with staff and other guests that I really appreciated. I would have to tell anyone wanting a wonderfully beautiful view and beach access This is the Place~! The plus is the super friendly staff and the clean comfy beds.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank yonita s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Tucson,Az
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

We have stayed here almost every summer for the past 10 years for 1 reason- location! Right on the beach and walking/stumbling distance to a bunch of great restaurants and shopping in the heart of Del Mar. Race track is 5 minute drive. Its a motel 6 with a better view than any other Ive seen. Place has bbq's to use and nice outside sitting areas. Staff has always been very friendly. have boogie boards for guests. Its worth paying extra for room w/ ocean view

Room Tip: room 148 the best. recently remolded and has ocean view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sccrref
Baltimore,Md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Stayed here for four nights. Amenities are basic, i.e. bed, bathroom, parking.So, be prepared to spend your time on the beach or in Del Mar.But everything worked, the room service cleaned well, the plumbing worked, etc.
Beach access is immediate and wonderful.

Room Tip: All rooms are equal.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank TomBBaltimore_Md
carcassonne, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

First the good: this motel is right on the beach in Del Mar and is an easy walk from the cute shops and restaurants of the village of Del Mar. Now the not-so-good: I am outside on the balcony on the opposite side of the motel from my room because the free wireless internet is too weak to connect inside our room. The motel is very old-style and rather tired. The beds are hard and cheap, the bedding and pillows are low-grade. Worst of all, the motel has grossly inadequate parking. We hd to park nearly half a mile away and hike back to the motel. For the rather stiff price we paid, this motel is a bust. If location is not critical, try other lodging.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank billyhoo

Travelers are raving about these Del Mar hotels

Poway, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

this was a great place to stay. right on the beach and close to restaurants. we are planning a trip back with our kids

Room Tip: didnt mind the train we re used to staying at san elijo campground
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Joshua Tree National Park, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

First of all: I had read all previous reviews and thought I knew what I was getting into. Yes, there is a train that runs right past the motel. Yes, the motel is a bit run down. I realized all that when I made my reservations and paid almost $300 per night. I realized I was paying to be on the beach, and on the beach we were! Thats the "pro" of this place..... no we didn't have a "beachside" room but it was literally 20 steps from our room door to the sand, and only about another 20 steps to the water. The beach is fabulous, elite and clean. I grew up on Long Island, now live in California, and I know beaches. This is my new favorite beach and I plan on visiting again. HOWEVER... the cons:

First of all, the room was gross. As in barely cleaned. Yes, when you first walk in it seems clean (although old and run down) but if you look just a little beyond the basics you can see that it is barely clean. I looked behind the bed for a plug and was disgusted ... clearly the housekeeping staff vaccums only what can be seen, so behind the bed and in the bed rails are massive amounts of dust and debris. Yes, debris. Meaning NOBODY EVER cleans back there... ya know ... move the beds away from the walls and CLEAN. The tops of the light switch plates were laden with dust. There was dust ALL OVER the coils of the (totally beaten to death and should have been put out of its misery years ago) refrigerator. The front of the microwave was filthy (and if it was "stained" then it should have been replaced long ago). You get the picture. When I mentioned the filth to the desk staff upon checkout I was assured that this was "not acceptable." Agreed. However, I mentioned that the dust is an accumulation of years, not just a week, and she totally denied it. Well, deny all you want but I took pictures ... it's fairly obvious that this is an ongoing problem.

Further, although again, it IS on the beach, one would think that the place could do minor maintenance so that everything doesn't look so old and decreprit. For instance ... the toilet roll holder is some sort of metal, all rusted and covered with lime. Normal for the beach, I imagine, but then, REPLACE it! Also, the toilet fixtures (strangely, not a regular flush-handle toilet but one of those commercial-like toilets that you have to use your foot to flush) were completely rusted. I know rust and dirt aren't the same thing, but it still looks gross and is totally unwarranted at $300 per night! The rusty refrigerator, the completely torn-up and broken ironing board and the aforementioned microwave all completed the feel of decriptness.

I found the staff to be fairly helpful but a little bit in denial. I called prior to confirm that they have beach toys, boogie boards, umbrellas and chairs for the guests as their website claims. I was told that they do indeed provide that convenience so that guests don't have to worry about lugging that stuff around on their trip. I was also advised that it was "first come first serve" which made sense to me. Great. HOWEVER, what I was NOT told was that the motel had a total of 4 chairs for their guests to take to the beach. FOUR! Keep in mind, there are 40 rooms .... so FOUR chairs? Had they told me that when I called (instead of patting themselves on the back) I would have simply made sure I brought my own chairs. Instead, my family spent our first day on the beach chairless and we kept waking up and checking the clock the next morning to make sure that we wouldn't miss their opening up the office doors at 8am so that we could grab 3 of the 4 chairs. Funny thing was, I immediately recognized the chairs as some that were set up on the beach the day before with nobody sitting in them most of the day! Lesson learned: I will definitely bring my own chairs!

The internet connectivity was ridiculous. I connected for about 2 minutes at a time ... I had a little more luck if I stood outside. Luckily I wasn't there to be online but it would have been nice to have SOME access to internet, espec when I was trying to get directions to local San Diego sights. I mentioned the lack of connectivity to the evening staff and she immediately denied any problems. She then gave me the password for the restaurant next door (whose wi-fi I was picking up) which apparantly was the incorrect password because I never was able to connect on their wifi either.

And since I'm on a roll I might as well mention the towels.... they are the most scratchiest hard cheap towels which really stinks when you have a sunburn. Lesson learned: bring our own bath towels!!!

The area around the motel was quite loud and there is not much of a chance of sleeping late. Not the motel's fault, really, but worth noting. It didn't help that some extremely self-centered person felt it necessary to fill up his entire cooler with ice at 7 am in the morning .... we were two doors down from the ice machine and boy, whatta racket! We faced the parking lot toward the restaurant and they have early-morning deliveries, early morning trash pickup, and god knows what else.... between those disturbances and the train there was really NO sleeping after 6 am. But really, we slept quite a bit on the beach.

Having said all of the above I do think that I will vacation here again, with different expectations. We'll bring our own towels, chairs and boogie boards. I'll check the cleanliness BEFORE I settle in and have it dealt with immediately. I'll have maps, etc. with me, so I won't HAVE to access the internet. The beach is amazing and the motel's proximity to the beach is amazing. This is not a place to stay with expectations of being coddled in your lovely room. The room is not lovely and there is no coddling happening here. There is just beach beach beach and thats what you're paying for. Don't stay here and then spend the day at Seaworld. The only reason to come here is beach!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank tabijo3
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This is a no thrills hotel I would guest it has been there over 20 years. The rooms are basic but the best thing its right on the Beach. They have court yard that has tables and BBQ for you to use. They say there is Wifi wireless but I could not get it in my room. There is no pools or spas. You are in walking distance to two restaurants on the beach and a public park. So you can not get a better location. The town of Del Mar is only 5 minutes away by car. This is a great hideaway that is in between million dollar houses. The price you can beat it cost me a average of 120 a night I stayed 4 nights. The Picture are accurate and it is a two story building no Elevator just stairs. The main office is a little hard to find it on the restaurant side have way from the street side on the bottom floor. Also found out later they have beach equipment like Chair, boggy boards all free for the guest to use on the beach. If you are looking for a high end hotel this is not your place. If you want a home low key and really enjoy being and playing in the ocean it great. Also it next to a Lifeguard Station so if you have kids it great. They even had free surfing lesson gave you the board and wet suits with some instruction. The Lifeguards were doing this workshop not part of the Hotel. So now you know my secret place only 20 minutes north of San Diego. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSO5U4nupDM this link will show you a video of the beach right in front of the Hotel

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Pantai Inn
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
5.0 of 5 stars 637 reviews

Been to Del Mar Motel on the Beach? Share your experiences!