“Big fan.”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Big fan.”
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

I really like this restaurant. It has a great Del Mar feel, good food and friendly staff.

On the weekends, they have a great brunch menu with an option for bottomless mimosas.
For lunch/dinner, they make a great beet salad, terrific flatbreads and delicious mussels.

Live music on the weekend nights. Totally fun!

• Visited August 2013

“Bring your pillow and a book”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have to agree with the blah food, blah service review. We went on a Saturday afternoon for lunch with a group of 8. No one else eating there at 2pm, just a few drinkers. The server was very professional and friendly, the menu enticing. Luckily, we were not in a rush to go anywhere. About 40 minutes after ordering, another person comes over and says that the Pastrami sandwich usually comes on Rye bread, but they are out of that so some substitute was recommended. I had the venison meatloaf, which was fair. The spicy sausage flatbread was not spicy at all and seemed to have hot dog slices on it. The smoked salmon flatbread didn't have much salmon on it. Salads were fair. Price was high for the quality. We left quite un-inspired, but not angry.

• Visited August 2013
Chandler, Arizona
“blah food-blah service”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

As the wait at one restaurant seemed to be extended ... and suspecting there was problems, we walked to Zel's. Immediate seating we thought, good deal. While we were quickly seated, we waited quite awhile for our waitress to acknowledge our presence and take a drink order. Instinct told me to leave. Shame I didn't listen. After someone else checked on our area, our waitress greeted us, took our drink order and disappeared once more. By the time she came back with our drinks, someone was finally delivering water. We ordered - and the food arrived. My burger was tasteless, although the fries were good. My wife's salad was nothing to write home about - but at least the lettuce was crisp. By the time our waitress decided to grace us with her presence, we had enough of our meal and were ready for our check. I wasn't fast enough to hand the bill back with my credit card - so we paid cash and yes, will admit, left a tip of less than 15%. In hindsight - should have walked away when my instinct told me that Taco Bell was a better bet for a meal than Zel's.

• Visited July 2013
Truckee, California
“Good food, prompt service, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stumbled on Zel's while looking for a place to eat that wasn't insanely busy (like Jake's & other waterfront restaurants). Our food was good-- not outstanding, not poor. I had fish tacos which I love to get when I'm in S Cal & I have to say, they were just ok/not a ton of flavor. But my Mom had a burger which she said was great & my son had a kid's pizza, which was a mini-margarita pizza & quite tasty.
There was live music, which was nice & the service was warm, friendly & prompt.
The food didn't knock our socks off, but the great service & wonderful ambiance made it a nice meal.

• Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We came in late for a quick bite to eat. We had calamari and a burger. The server was friendly I believe his name was mike. He was originally from the Midwest and dabbles in real estate . He was very knowledgeable about the area. The food and drinks were excellent. We sat outside enjoying the lovely atmosphere and friendly service. The mojitos were to die for. Great place to stop and take in the west coast atmosphere .

Visited March 2013