“Worst service Ever”

Americana Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Americana Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 93 Restaurants in Del Mar
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 15th St.
del mar, CA
“Worst service Ever”
Reviewed September 4, 2009

I went here for breakfast and was in shock that it took almost 2 hrs to get our food and the bill was $60 for 2 people. I complained to the manager who started to yell at me. I tiped the waitress (who was not the problem) and left. I have never been yelled at in a restaurant by the manger, have to wait 2 hrs for eggs, or spend $30 for a simple breakfast. Be warned, this place is a rip off the lacks customer service.

Los Angeles, California
“Horrible service!!!”
Reviewed November 10, 2008

I don't know why my boyfriend and I ever came back here.. it used to be good, not as crowded, and at least decent service, but it has gotten terrible lately! One time our waitress took forever to greet us, forgot to bring out our water, brought out our food 30 min. after we sat and it wasn't even hot, forgot straws, jelly for bread, forks, and refills. Other times we have been sat around noisy people in uncomfortable situations where they sit RIGHT next to your table and stare at you as you eat... food is good but by the time you get it, its warm and not enjoyable.. definitely don't recommend coming here unless you're desperate!

Washington DC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good but expensive”
Reviewed October 13, 2008

Americana Restaurant is supposedly the best breakfast in del mar. I believe that, but understand that you are going to pay for it. The restaurant is cute and the service is acceptable but I was put off when the check came and I saw that I was nickeled and dimed.

Breakfast is the cheapest meal to produce, and therefore I think that $38 is excessive for the meal that we ate.

My wife ordered orange juice and two eggs with a bagel. The waitress asked if she would like butter or cream cheese and if she would like butter or cheese on her grits. I ordered the oscar platter with french toast instead of pancakes. I accepted that it would cost $2.50 to substitute the frech toast even though I feel a good restaurant would not charge for a substitution.

When the check came we were chaged $2 for the substituted bagel, $2.50 for the substituted french toast, $1 for cream cheese and $1 for cheese on the grits....

The breakfast was good, but the bill left a bad taste in my mouth.

1 Thank brianmclean
del mar, ca
“my favorite place in Del Mar”
Reviewed September 3, 2008

We have eaten at Americana for breakfast and lunch and absolutely love it. It is a busy place on the weekends and you may have to wait for a table, usually around 10 minutes....well worth it! Fantastic french toast and eggs. The salads are large and they have the best turkey burger ever. This past weekend we ate there for dinner for the first time. What a treat! It was excellent. I had a delicious pasta dish and my husband ate the steak special. The service was excellent and it is way more relaxing at dinnertime! We will definitely be returning for dinner very soon!

San Diego, California
“Terrible Service and Management -- Crooked Waitresses that Steal!”
Reviewed August 26, 2008

My husband and I live about 5 miles from Del Mar and decided to give Americana a try one weekend when we had a friend in town. It looks cute, but we found that looks are deceiving.

When we were in college, we both waited tables so we have a lot of empathy for wait staff when they are very busy. It's the worst to get three tables sat at once, we know that from experience. So, when our waitress got off to a bad start we were understanding and shrugged it off.

However, about 30 minutes after we ordered our food had still not arrived so we questioned the waitress. She said it was coming right up (all we ordered was pancakes, a panini, etc). Thirty minutes later -- an hour after we sat down -- our food was still not served. During this time we watched other tables get seated and served...we were very frustrated by this point. Even worse, our waitress had a terrible attitude and didn't seem to care at all about expediting our order.

Finally, over an hour after we arrived, our food came. The food tasted ok. Wasn't the worst I ever had, but it surely wasn't worth the wait.

If this were the only problem, we may have gone back to give it another try. But we did something we rarely do. We left a bad tip of only $3 -- it was a terrible experience and the waitress never made a single effort to make it better.

A few days later when I checked my bank account online, I noticed that our meal seemed more expensive than I remembered it being. So, I called the restaurant and told them that I thought the waitress may have increased my $3 tip to an $8 tip. They checked the paperwork and that's exactly what happened.

I contacted the restaurant based on principle. The $5 wasn't the issue. The issue was that there is a shady waitress at Americana ripping people off and I wanted them to know about it. The manager was embarrassed and had the owner of Americana call me. He assured me that he doesn't tolerate this kind of unethical behavior from his employees, and said he would talk to the waitress. When I waited tables in college, one of my co-workers was caught increasing his tips like this without diners knowing. He was fired on the spot (appropriately).

A few weeks later we walked by the restaurant. That's when we saw our waitress working and vowed to never return to the place. I hope you skip Americana if you ever visit Del Mar. There are many other fantastic resturants in the area that will not try to steal your money.

1 Thank SanDiegoTraveler28