“No free soda refills.”

Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 15th Street
Description: The Poseidon Restaurant in Del Mar embodies the Southern California lifestyle, blending the ambiance of the beach scene with a relaxed and informal dining atmosphere.
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We meet several couples at the Poseidon a couple of times a year when the weather is nice (half-way point in our respective drives). It’s nice to have a meal on their patio which is right on the beach so of course the restaurant is more expensive. I get that. It's the beach. The food is okay but not outstanding. But to charge for a soda refill? Really? “Penny wise and a pound foolish.” Eight people and no soda orders costs them, what? Maybe $23. It’s just dumb. A refill probably would cost 20 cents given all the ice in the glass. It’s the principle of it. It’s just cheap of the Poseidon to do this to their customers.

1  Thank ljbay

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have been to this restaurant 3 times now and it have never disappointed. The soups are good--especially the clam chowder! The menu has a variety of salad offerings that are unique--and taste great! Interresting entree offerings. We have especially enjoyed the sea bass. Amazingly delicious! The only dessert I've tried, is the sorbet accompanied with cookie. Three different flavors, each more delectable than the one before.

Not only is the food a winner--the environment is great as well. Comfortable booths all facing the ocean. There is a patio right on the beach (but we don't like the wind and sun all that much so we eat inside) and many people love that. Be sure to make a reservation.

1  Thank Barbara W
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I love this place! The menu is excellent and the view of the bay at sunset can't be beat. We enjoyed salmon and scallops. The staff is excellent and since we went early the wait to be seated wasn't long. The outdoor area fills very quickly and for good reason, the view it fantastic!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

With a magnificent view of the ocean and the beach, I was reminded of Baja Mexico and ordered their Fish Tacos for lunch. Surprisingly, it was as good as the best in San Jose Del Cabo! Very friendly staff, great ambience and good service. Loved it!

Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

It had been a long time since eating here. My first visit was over 22 years ago when I first moved to the area.

Last night I returned with friends and family for my birthday. Same great ambiance. They've expanded the outdoor patio. Added more tables.

Food was good. A bit pricey. My pistachio crusted salmon was $29. Calamari appetizer was good.

All in all a great place. Sit outside if you can. Great ocean views!