“great view with poor service”

Poseidon Restaurant-On The Bch
Ranked #2 of 93 Restaurants in Del Mar
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 15th Street
Description: The Poseidon Restaurant in Del Mar embodies the Southern California lifestyle, blending the ambiance of the beach scene with a relaxed and informal dining atmosphere.
Richmond, Virginia
“great view with poor service”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The only winning point of this restaurant is its location. We went with family of 6 adults for lunch. The day was lovely, so we didn't mind to wait for a long time being served on the terrace and watching the beach. The choices on the menu were OK, but I would expect more creativity from such over publicized place. When eventually (after a long wait) we got our order, my husband didn't get his food. Assuming, that it is still coming we were all waiting to start our meal. When finally we realized that it was not the case, we had to find our waitress, who without blinking or apology stated that she assumed that our aunt(who was sitting across the table from my husband) ordered the dish for 2 people as it is such huge dish (even we all heard her taking my husbands order). His food was delivered 20 more minutes later.
The quality of food was just OK, but very uninspiring.
They didn't charge us for my husband's food, but I don't think I would want to go there back again.

• Visited January 2014

San Francisco, California
“Great Local Spot”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I grew up in San Diego and whenever I return to visit, we hit the Poseidon. Summer or winter, the view is amazing. The restaurant is on the beach -- worth the wait for a table on the patio -- not really worth going if you are going to sit inside. The patio has wind blockers and the view can't be beat/ Great burgers and nachos and the salads are not bad either. Mostly locals … which is the best!

• Visited December 2013
San Marcos, California
“Wonderful holiday/special lunch”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I took my son there Christmas Eve day for lunch for his birthday on the 26th. We had reservations for 11:30 and we arrived a few minutes after. It was already getting very busy with holiday celebrations but we still got an outside table by the railing. We were also fortunate enough to be able to park in handicap parking. GORGEOUS day! Lots of people out enjoying it and surfing. My 61 yr. old son is still a surfer so it's that much more fun to watch! We were greeted with the usual friendly welcome and immediately taken to our table. Ordered drinks and asked if we wanted to order. I always like to enjoy my Bloody Mary a while so we didn't order our lunch. Good Bloody Mary and nicely priced. Our server Claudia, kept checking back. She was superb.
I had Fish and Chips with Cole Slaw. Cole Slaw was excellent. Fish was very good and not greasy but a little dry. My son had a calamari sandwich with fries. He REALLY enjoyed it. The sandwich was excellent and the fries good. We both prefer skinny fries - more crispy. I asked if they had a birthday treat and she came right away with a small crock of Crème Brule. Very good.
As always, the ambience was fantastic. But they tried to squeeze too many tables on the patio. We could hardly get in and out of the table without bumping into the other tables. Also, when the sun got around, it was very uncomfortable but we were thru' anyway.

• Visited December 2013
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Beachside Delight!”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Recommended by guidebooks and by our hotel, we came and found that Poseidon lives up to its reputation. It was a warm sunny day and we sat inside but right by the windows which were open to the beach air. Our server was delightful, friendly, and offered suggestions on the lunch menu. Food was delicious, the ambience was superb, and the service top notch! What else do you need? Oh, yes, the price was reasonable for beachside fine dining.
Great experience!

• Visited November 2013
“Great Food, Service & Ambiance ”
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Amazing food with a great view of the beach! They offer a $40 3-course meal... So worth it! We ordered 2 different 3- course meals and shared! Everything was amazing! Service was great!