“Cool Modern Design, Nice Rooms”

Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Del Mar, United States
“Cool Modern Design, Nice Rooms”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Great decor on the interior even though the exterior leaves you wanting, but who really cares...nice sized rooms. very quiet even with the hotel being very busy. Great staff. Pool is standard but nice and clean with lots of towels. In a funky location but once you are in the hotel you dont know that you are near the highway or the driving range.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Justin F, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
AshleighU,

I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and you liked our cool new design. We love it too. Our location is great for many different reasons but once you step in our courtyard its like a escape. I am thrilled you were able to take advantage.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback. Come back and see us soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This hotel was just ok average hotel that it was arranged like a maze. We have to walk around the entire floor end to end to find the second elevator. So if you stay in the middle rooms of this horse shoe style layout you have to walk all the on either end to find your elevator.

Also don't ask for the room facing the freeway. It was noisy for us by the room 3101. We have to switch room three times to stay away from the noisy freeway, or plumbing pipe. However the hotel staff was ver helpful and understanding on our need for a quiet room to do room switching for us.

It was almost a must to pay for the daily car parking in this hotel that there was no way to park on the street. Just don't know why there was no free parking in this hotel. The double tree hilton just 5 mile down would have a free car park. Will definitely check that double tree hilton next time.

Room Tip: Don't get the room facing close to I-5 freeway, and beware some rooms can hear noisy plumbing ru...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank tripuser01
Tripuser01,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback regarding your stay. We do have a large footprint here in Del Mar. Our building is set up like you said in a shape of a horseshoe with the elevators at the tops of the horseshoe. I am very sorry that you found the highway noise impactful on your stay. I am happy to see we were able to accommodate you in a room away from the highway.

Thank you again for your feedback. It helps us improve our hotel and the operation. I hope to you back in Del Mar soon.

Malibu, California, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Very nice facility; grounds, lobby, bar, restaurant are very nice. Property is extremely convenient to Del Mar Racetrack. Room layout and design leave quite a bit to be desired. Kitchenette counter & sink very poorly placed in room; bathroom VERY small.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Brian K,

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed your time with us. You were in one of twelve rooms that have the wet bar. They provide a little extra countertop space and a nice balcony. Thank you for sharing your feedback as it helps us improve our hotel. Have an excellent day.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed here for a few days recently for a local trade show and was very disappointed.
Made my reservation several months in advance and the room they gave me a handicap room at check in. After entering room I notice there is no desk but there is a place where a pull down desk should be in the armoire, but the it's broken. I call down to front desk for maintenance and they arrive in 20 mins. There are two workers, one proceeds to call someone on walkie talkie and the other shakes his head and exits room. The person on other end of walkie talkie says he knows the desk is broken and hasn't bothered to fix it. The maintenance guy in my room says he will be back in morning to fix it. The next day no one comes to fix it. Now I'll move to dinner...I order a simple dinner of Turkey club with onion rings and a caesar salad. The menu says caesar comes with Parmesan crusting...no it didn't. The Turkey club says bread is toasted...no it wasn't...the onion rings I ordered magically changed to fries. In the morning I pre-ordered breakfast with over easy eggs...there were runny snotty uncooked eggs. The following morning I ordered a denver omelet with ham and cheese only...I got the cheese and tomatoes NO HAM. I guess they thought I would confuse the tomatoes for ham. To boot the room wasn't very clean, I had to wipe down the TV tray that I had to use as a desk because it was sticky. I also had to wipe leather chair because it had food on it too. I definitely wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank CzunedTraveler26
Gregg M,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Certainly not the type we like to hear but all very valid items and things I appreciate knowing. My team and I have reviewed your comments and will work quickly to resolve. Thank you again for staying with us and I do hope you will stay with us in the future.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

pulling into the hotel parking and i was like, what did i book. Walking in this Hotel it's a gem! I was greeted with a big smile from Jessica at the front desk. I had originally booked a king but later found out my granddaughter was joining me so i asked Jessica if there was anything she could do and she went above and beyond the only rooms with 2 beds were the ones facing the pool with a patio. So i upgraded and my room came with the club lounge. She also sent up cookies with milk when my granddaughter came in, perfect ending to a great day! Lynette and Samara in the club lounge Elva and Claudia at the restaurant Wes and Ben at the bar Jesus and Chris in the shuttle Jenn the concierge these people make your stay, they make you feel at home! Such a great stay that i might have to make it out for race season.

Room Tip: ask for Jessica she's great and will help you pick a great room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank lillyann a
Justin F, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Lillyann,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us in Del Mar. I greatly appreciate your feedback and thank you for calling out so many members of our team. I am thrilled we were able to accommodate every aspect of your stay.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your return to Del Mar.

Sincerely, Justin
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed at this hotel 4/17-4/19. My mom accidentally left her passport inside the safe. She only found out about her missing passports on 4/23. The hotel apparently found the passport but did not contact us. We called the hotel several times on 4/24 to check if they have the passport. No one was able to answer our questions. We kept on being transferred to housekeeping. We left several messages and no one was returning our calls. The guy at reception said, "Sorry, they're busy. That's the best that we can do. You have to wait for their call." I don't think that's acceptable. He could have at least confirmed if they had the passport. If the missing article was a piece of clothing, sure, I'll wait. BUT it's a passport. To cut a long story short, after many more phone calls (and stress), the manager was able to confirm that they do have my mom's passport. They sent it back to us through FedEx (which I had to pay for). Maybe the good thing is, they didn't steal it?
Anyway, I won't be staying at this hotel, or at any Hilton, and won't ever recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SharG123
SharG123,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. We really do care of our guests. That's why we are in the hotel business and I am dearly sorry that your passport request was not handled in an urgent matter. We have reviewed your experience with our team and made the neccessary changes to ensure this does not repeat itself.

Thank you again for staying with us and for sharing your experience.

Smyrna, United States
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Every aspect of my stay at the Hilton in Del Mar California was excellent. From the airy lobby area to the guest room, the ambiance was relaxed and though there on business, it was very much a vacation atmosphere. Customer service was everywhere evident and the food was marvelous. If I come this way again, i will without doubt stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Justin F, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Patricia B,

Thank you for the great review! I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take several of our great features our property offers. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
Pantai Inn
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines

Been to Hilton San Diego/Del Mar? Share your experiences!