“If going to the races - its a good bet”

Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Naperville, Illinois, United States
“If going to the races - its a good bet”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here each year when at Del Mar race track. Location is not pretty but upgrades to the hotel, esp rooms are good. Service is excellent, but they do need to run more shuttles to and from track. Great restaurants a short ride away.

• Stayed August 2013
Scott S, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your kind feedback and comments. I am pleased you enjoyed the fresh look and many new things that have come to our hotel. Our location is truly perfect for attending the races or the fair, but we are close to many other sights in the area and within a short walk to the beach.

We appreciate your business and look forward to having you back with us soon.

Thank you.

Scott Sloan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Del Mar, United States
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The Hilton Del Mar lived up to all expectations I have of Hilton and Southern California. The hotel is wonderful, everything looks new, and the location is perfect. Restaurant/bar staff are extremely courteous, the front desk staff is helpful, and the pool/outside area is great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your great comments. We are truly glad we met your expectations and that you had such a wonderful stay. We have so many new things happing in our restaurant - I am glad you were able to experience our staff and new culinary items.

We look forward to having you back with us soon. Thank you again!

Silicon Valley
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The kids had a blast at the SeaWorld, SD Zoo, and the Safari Park last year and wished a trip to LEGOLAND this year. I initially looked for hotels in Carlsbad and found most to be a bit overpriced for what they offer. So I expanded my search to include surrounding areas near LEGOLAND and be close enough to San Diego in case we wanted to go sight-see there. I am glad I found the Hilton at San Diego/Del Mar. We spent 4 nights at this property.

Summary:
We will definitely stay at this property again when we visit the San Diego area. More details are outlined below.

Location:
The hotel is located right off Interstate 5 (on the south bound side). The one-way drives north to Legoland (14 miles) and south to SeaWorld / Belmont Park (18 miles) each took less than 20 minutes. The hotel is close to grocery shopping and restaurants. A large Whole Foods, The Fish Market, McDonalds, and several mid-tier as well as up-scale restaurants are all within a couple of minutes drive. We did notice a faint stench in the air from the Del Mar horse race track across the street upon our arrival at the front of the hotel. However the odor never became an issue for us.

Parking:
The hotel has several large parking areas and offers plenty of well-lit parking spaces. Self-park is $18 per day. Valet is also available at $24 per day.

Lobby / Check-in area:
The exterior landscape and hotel interior were very well maintained. The lobby projected a soothing atmosphere. Note guests can request large towels from the front desk (for use at the beaches and/or Legoland water park). Tips: I highly recommend taking extra towels to the water park at Legoland.

Room:
We booked a Club Room on the top floor facing the court yard / pool side so we did not hear any traffic noise from I-5 as a result. The décor and everything in the room were in very good working conditions However the central A/C and bathroom fans were a bit loud. The room, carpet, and the shade all seemed to be very clean. We found the queen beds to be very comfortable. Tips: Ask for a room facing the pool.

Pool:
We enjoyed the pool. It never got crowed during our stay. The water was clean and water temperature was kept warm and comfortable even during evening hours when air temperature was at low 60’s. Large towels were provided at pool side. However the towels should be restocked more often.

Courtyard:
We hung out in the Courtyard after dinner each evening. A large fire pit provided a great place to relax and for chatting with other guests.

Club Lounge:
The Club Lounge was a big plus with complimentary hot breakfast and hors d’oeuvres in the evening (access for Gold and Diamond members only in the evening). Being able to eat on-site at the hotel saved us a ton of time in the morning and avoided the stress of deciding dining options after a full-day at the theme park with the kids. We found the food selections and quality to be very good. The Club Lounge managers were very personable. Cindy was especially pleasant and customer oriented.

Staff – Courteous and helpful. Charmin, Jordan, and Nick were a few employees who made the reservation process smooth and the stay more pleasant.

Areas for Improvement:

Housekeeping – generally did a good job. However it was odd housekeeping never bother to restock laundry bags during our entire stay. Also our room was not made on the last day when we returned to the room at 6:00pm. I brought the issue to Nick’s attention at the front desk. He promptly contacted housekeeping. The room was cleaned shortly after.

Pool - Towels at the pool side should be restocked more often.

Check out – check out was (too) quick. I was the only guest at the counter. The person who checked me out handed me a print out of the receipt. “Here you go” and immediately turned her back to talk to another employee behind the counter. A simple “thank you” or “please come stay with us again” would have been nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool side on high floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 2bz2p
Scott S, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your incredibly thorough and wonderful feedback regarding your stay. That is probably the most comprehensive yet and I so appreciate you taking the time to let us kjnow about each and every area of our hotel. I will be sure to get with Cindy, Charmaine, Jordan and Nick as to your appreciation of their services specifically.

Thank you again for taking your valuable time to be so very thorough and helpful with your comments. We look forward to having you back with us in Del Mar real soon.

Fullerton, California, United States
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Selected this hotel because of its proximity to the racetrack. It's very convenient, and there are stores and restaurants very close by. It's also close to the beach and had good routes for running. The service was good, but don't expect anything out of the ordinary. We tried to get some Frank Sinatra music played on the patio bar later one evening and they said they only had one music source and couldn't deviate from it (not the waitstaff's issue, just shows they aren't empowered to go above and beyond in terms of service). While we had one bad interaction with a hotel employee who was super rude, we also had a great interaction with another one who was awesome. The room was better than I expected and even right next to the freeway, I didn't hear a thing. I also noticed after we got there that you could bring dogs! The elevator is right by check in and our room was way in the back, but it's not a tall hotel so we took the stairs a lot to the parking lot, which was very convenient since they have entrances to the parking lot all around the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa B
Thank you for your great feedback regarding your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and our great location to the race track. I apologize that you encountered a less than friendly experience from one of our staff. All of the team here works very hard to ensure that the service to all of our guests is nothing less than excellent. I will also see about getting our bar music a little more flexible. We do only have one source of piped in music, but with planning ahead we may be able to adjust to the possible guests coming in.

Thank you again for your comments. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you back with us real soon.

Thatcher, Arizona
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was our first time staying at this Hilton and it was gorgeous. The staff were really friendly and helpful and Karen in the Club Lounge made sure our kids had apple juice with breakfast. Breakfast was delicious also and a good variety to choose from. We had one problem on the day we were checking out the toilet overflowed but they sent up someone immediately to clean up the water and opened another room for us to use in order to brush our teeth, etc.

Room Tip: Get the special room that includes parking and free internet and access to Club Lounge.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Patti S
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed our hotel and I apologize that you had a bit of an 'overflow' problem. These things can happen but I am pleased our staff responded quickly for you. I will be sure to let Karen in our Club Lounge know about your kind comments as well. She is especially great with kids.

We appreciate your business and your great comments and look forward to having you stay with us again soon. Thank you.

Oregon, United States
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Here is the emial I sent to MGT with no response I stayed in your beautiful hotel this week, my room was perfect! I guess this is were I tell you what was wrong with my stay, but first I will start off by saying I can't remember the last time I had a complaint staying at a Hilton property. Sunday Night -- As you are aware you had an out of town Soccer Team staying at your facility over the weekend. I flew in on Sunday to go to the races with my boss; so I didn't check in until I late. When I got to my room on the third floor, I was surprised to see a group of girls havening a Pizza Party in the middle of the hall, then when I turned the corning I saw the rest of the team running towards me. The running in the halls continued outside my door for the next hour or so. Kids will be kids; I have four boys so I know how kids have fun. What upset me the most was all of the parents were sitting out in the courtyard having a good time. I know it’s the parent’s responsibility to keep their kids under control, but I would assume you have roaming security guards that should have done something about it. The next day I was surprised to find the pizza box still in the middle of the hall. I didn't leave for work until well after 8:00 so on my way out to door I stopped by the front desk and asked to talk to a manager just to be told the he hasn't arrived yet. I left a message for Tim, giving a brief explanation of what my problem was, I thought I would have at least had a voicemail message waiting for me when I got back to my room that night acknowledging my message. Monday Night -- After returning to the Hotel rather late after dinner and a few spirits, I could hear a dog barking in room next to me but the owners did a great job keeping him quiet. Tuesday Night -- I returned at 7:30 because of an early flight just to find that the dog was left alone and wouldn't stop barking. I called the front desk to tell them what the problem was but they could hear the dog barking on the phone. I questioned why you guys would put a dog in a room with a connecting door to the room next to it and was told by the front desk that they were unaware of a dog staying in that room. After about 10 minutes they called back stating they tried to contact the owners on three different numbers and had no luck. They were looking into what they need to do to remove the dog from the room so I waited 5 minutes and then left the room. On my way out of the elevator I ran into your security guard and front desk employee with a leash so I introduced myself and he was apologetic; offering me some free drink and food vouchers. I declined saying I was leaving in the morning. So the dog was removed, I went back to my room and climbed into be. My neighbors finally came home and the dog returned and the dog started barking...... If the dog wasn't authorized to be in the room why did you let them take him back to the room?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank Rob K
Justin F, Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, July 16, 2016
Thank you very much for your review. We hope to see you back in Del Mar in the near future.
Las Vegas
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Great staff, great experience. If you want a quiet place across the Street from the Del Mar race track, this is it. Loyalty program second to none. Room and facilities top notch. Only the parking is an additional $18.00 a day for guests, should be free.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank 774stevenmg
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay. "Top notch" is an excellent description of our guest rooms and hotel and we are indeed right across the street from the Del Mar fairgrounds and the world famous Del Mar Racetrack. Very convenient and only a short walk or shuttle ride.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you back with us real soon. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#9 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Hilton San Diego/Del Mar? Share your experiences!