“SUPER CLEAN!”

Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was amazed how clean the room was! The bedding smelled faintly like clean bleach which I love! Cool decor & beautiful color scheme! I highly recommend this hotel! I just wish the pool area was open past 10 ;-)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert K
Scott S, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Thank you for your very kind comments. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I wish we could leave the pool open later, especially on these beautiful San Diego summer nights. Unfortunately, with the pool right in the center of the courtyard and facing many of our rooms, we have to go for a 'quiet' area after 10pm for our guests. Perhaps on some summer weekend nights we can see about an additional hour...

Many thanks for your feedback and valuable business. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Scott Sloan

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed here for 7 nights between 21-28 June 2013. Bought air tic + hotel together on Zuji so unable to tell how much the hotel part was but think it was roughly USD180/night. Took the super shuttle from and to airport which was easy and took around 30 minutes.

Arrived at around 12:30pm and was able to check into room early without asking. Room was of very decent size with a large king bed. All the rooms were renovated recently so the decor was nice. The mattress was soft and super comfy with 5 pillows, although I wish the pillows are not those that become flat by morning, but I slept very well anyhow. Air con was great. The bathrooms are not renovated so it was very basic but everything worked so I was not too bothered. Had a room facing a highway but as I closed the window most of the time and noise was not a problem.

Think they say they charge for wifi in the room on the website but was given access to such without any charges on arrival which I appreciate as it is a must nowadays so I rather they work the costs into the room rates. There is only a coffee machine and no kettle which was a bit inconvenient as I would like to make my own tea in the morning but the water from the coffee machine gave a brew taste to the hot water which was weird for the tea.

There is a free shuttle service for within 5 miles of the hotel which I really really appreciate as I do not drive so it was a pain to get anywhere. I took the shuttle over 10 times during my stay, the boys were all friendly and super helpful and apart from heading out, they also picked me up from L'Auberge, Amtrak station, San Diego county fair and the beach.

The restaurant was renovated and so there was no breakfast buffet during latter half of my stay. I had egg benedict (about USD16) twice, also ordered in room dining one night - had clam chowder, chicken caprese and cheesecake (about USD40). Food was great and prices very reasonable.

Staff at counter and restaurant is courteous and efficient. Also asked for directions at concierge, the lady was very helpful in getting my train ticket to LA changed but seemed to get a little impatient after a few questions.

Lift was down one night but there were only 3 floors so not a huge problem, it was also repaired by next morning. The pool is quite small. I used the outdoor hot tub in a separate area one night which was nice.

The San Diego County Fair was well underway opposite the hotel and I did not smell anything nasty as another reviewer experienced. Also I guess because I am from Hong Kong, the traffic that they talked about felt nothing to me.

Just 2 minor things I hope they can improve. First was housekeeping, the bathroom mat was not replaced one day and also I think they do not clean the floor of the bathroom. Also, saw their trolleys and I guess it is an impression more than an issue, but they were very messy and I guess I just don't like seeing anything like the coffee cups and bottles of water near garbarge or so close to the dirty towels. Second, I had 2 parcels posted to the hotel, think it will be great if they could either bring them to my room or leave some sort of message to let me know. Both times I had to go to the counter to check. It doesn't take them that long and I don't suppose everyone staying will have parcels sent there, but if they took the parcels to my room, this will take their customer service to another level.

Overall, had a good stay and I would say it was good value.

I took a course and spent 3 full days at the supposedly posh L'Auberge Hotel nearby and whilst I did not actually stay there, I went to one of their rooms as other students were staying there. Frankly if I paid that much for a hotel, I would have been very upset. Will write a separate review on them.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank missvontravels
Justin F, Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2016

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had a fantastic stay and were provided fantastic service. They anticipated our needs so well and were very accomodating to any request we had. We travelled with our 3 children and the hotel was great at accomodating to their needs as well. We would definitely stay here again. They are truly geared towards being one step ahead and ready to help!

2  Thank Bambi S

Thank you very much for your nice review. We hope to see you back in Del Mar in the near future.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We came to the area on a whim and couldn't get a room where we usually stay. So we decided to give the Hilton a try. Most of our issues didn't even directly involve us, but we were either present or could hear the many issues other guests were having. At checkin the desk staff was verbally abusive to an adorable older lady that apparently asked too many questions. From there the service at the restaurant and pool often involved us waiting for the staff to fix constant mix ups and mess ups that ruined any attempt at relaxation or fun we were attempting to enjoy. The location is decent if you enjoy being next to the busiest Interstate in California and next to a dusty fairground with constant traffic blocking entry and exit to the hotel. The property has been renovated but it doesn't make up for the horrible management of a property with the Hilton name. We will not be back and could not in good conscience recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank Hannahsoo

Thank you very much for your review. Feedback is very important to us and helps us improve our hotel. We are quite a different hotel from when you stayed with us. We hope to see you back in Del Mar in the near future.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Went to Del Mar Hilton and enjoyed the property. The staff did a great job in what was a hectic time period with the San Diego County Fair happening up the street at the same time. Staff at the hotel was very helpful and went out of their way to provide excellent service. Bar and pool are fantastic and able to accomodate large crowds. Overall enjoyed the stay.

1  Thank Dave85715

Dave85715,

Thank you very much for your great review. We hope to see you back in Del Mar in the near future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Lovely pool we enjoyed swimming in it. Got burnt the first day because the weather was beautiful. Nothing free about this hotel not even the parking. Loved that dogs were welcomed. We didn't bring our since we didn't know, but got to pet many of the guest pets.

1  Thank Arthur G

Arthur G,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We hope to see you back in Del Mar in the near future. Don't forget the sunscreen.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Hotel room was very large. Pool was nicer than expected. Staff particularly valet were excellent. This was a very relaxing stay. I highly recommend adding the club lounge package which gets you a free great breakfast everyday and snacks at night which we could have used as dinner if we wanted to. My family loved the club lounge. It is the exact same breakfast that they charge 18$ in the restaurant next door. Great value for a family of four.

2  Thank Tim N

San Diego Marriott Del Mar
#107 of 278 in San Diego
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine

Been to Hilton San Diego/Del Mar? Share your experiences!