“Best Deli in San Diego”

Milton's Deli Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 92 Restaurants in Del Mar
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
coronado
“Best Deli in San Diego”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

It is pricey but as a born in NY Jewish person I found Milton's to be authentic NY Jewish style deli. My guy and I each had the soup and 1/2 sandwich special. We both chose matzah ball soup and it was the best we ever had- loaded with noodles, chunks of chicken , carrots and a huge matzah ball. It definitely tasted homemade. It was served with pickels and a little loaf of challa bread. I then had lean corned beef on rye and my guy had pastrami on rye. My corned beef was excellent. I admit he was not as crazy about his pastrami , but so what. Maybe it was too lean.
Oh yes, we waited about 20 min for a table during which time there was courtesy coffee and mini muffins. Also the place is ultra clean, upscale and fun looking. Soup and half sandwiches, one diet coke and bill was abt $33.00 including tax plus tip.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank dollyCoronado

Oceanside, California
“Minority Report”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Why do I call this review a minority report? Because I freely acknowledge that my dissatisfied experience is in a minority. Most people are saying their experience was very good. Mine was NOT.

First thing that hit me was the exorbitant prices. By the way, their website does not include menu prices. I thought at least the size of the sandwich would be large. It was like a Kiddie size sandwich. Not worth $15, cheese not included. The menu said “Hot” Pastrami. When it arrived, it was slightly above room temperature with a cold slice of Swiss Cheese on top. The server cheerfully took it back for a reheat. It was returned no warmer than it had been.

To me, the Pastrami was weak in flavor, almost like a “healthy” Pastrami. The Rye bread was almost too soft like Wonder White Bread. And it, like the Pastrami, was weak in flavor. My wife, who is not as picky as I am, was not impressed. The plain cheesecake was somewhere between French and New York on texture and had an “off” taste.

The staff was very friendly, however, the prices and taste of the food were were just not good enough to return. Sorry. I do not like writing bad reviews.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank William M
florida
“The best Jewish deli in San Diego!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Amazing breads! Pastries to die for!!..hot pastrami was amazing as well as their corned beef by the pound! Expensive but worth it...black and white cup cakes ...yum!

• Visited January 2014
San Diego, California
“one of the two best deli's in San Diego”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Milton's is now bigger than just a restaurant in Del Mar. Their breads are well known in stores throughout the country BUT there is nothing like their challah bread and yes (!) the raisin challah is worth converting for! I love Milton's and there service both for catering and dining is A+!

Visited December 2013
Staten Island, New York
“NY Style Deli on the Left Coast”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My cousin suggested this restaurant and we were not disappointed. It's a little piece of NYC in California. We ordered traditional meals...chicken soup and a pastrami sandwich. Service was excellent and the food reminded us of home. Great find!

• Visited December 2013