“Pizza Cristina is my favorite.”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 93 Restaurants in Del Mar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 15th Street
Description: Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Pizza Cristina is my favorite.”
Reviewed May 8, 2009

Pizza Cristina is my favorite.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

San Diego, CA
“Surprisingly bad”
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I've been here twice now. The first time, about a year ago, was a disappointment with mediocre food and indifferent service. At a guests's request I went back yesterday and sat on the patio. Our table was not ready at the appointed time despite the restaurant being only half-full. It was literally too loud to hear my table guests. The waiter openly mocked my selections and those of my guests. My ravioloi had almost no filling and were stuck together is a solid mass. The sauce would have been better from a grocery store jar. A guests had a mass of fettuchini that looked like dog food and I noticed was left half uneaten, despite small portions overal. If you are sitting in the right spot on the right side of the table the view can be good but at the cost of a very disappointing experience -- and I should add -- a very high price. Seriously, the overall italian dining experience is better at a Macaroni Grill or Bucco de Beppo theme restaurant that you might take the kids to. As a Del Mar resident I hope Il Fornaio clears out so a better operator can take the lease.

CA
“01-08-2009_Disappointing_Avoid”
Reviewed January 9, 2009

The food was very disappointing. Octopus with potatoes was served almost cold. Veal with mushroom sauce was too sour, thus no other flavors could get through. I would avoid going there. Service is slow with a hint of neglect.

Austin, Texas
“Go elsewhere”
Reviewed October 5, 2008

We went to Il Fornaio tonight for dinner. We've recently moved to the area and are looking for good restaraunts. This is not one of them. We were at our table for 15 mins before anyone came to take our drink order. Our food wasn't out for another 45 mins. When it came out, my plate looked like cat food, and honestly didn't taste much better. I really had never appreciated food presentation until that landed on my table. I had Fettucini Bolognese and the noodles were one sticky glob. The sauce tasted only a little better than chef boy-ar-dee. I couldn't taste anything in it but ground meat and an indescript bright orange sauce.

After waiting for about 10 minutes for the bill, my family decided to go for a walk and I stayed to pay the bill. I sat at an empty table for about 10 mins until the server came by to ask if I wanted dessert.

It was expensive, tasteless and slow. I will not go there again.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“nice restaurant, but fair food; staff is a bit snobish”
Reviewed July 15, 2008

nice restaurant, but fair food; staff is a bit snobish

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Il Fornaio? Share your experiences!