“Girls Weekend”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 96 Restaurants in Del Mar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 15th Street
Description: Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Sat on the patio & watched the sun go down. Fantastic service. Good menu & choices. Would go back again.

There are newer reviews for Il Fornaio

Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was a business dinner but I was lucky enough to be seated facing the ocean and you can see why the restaurant was placed here. The food was not exceptional but it was good and it was served efficiently.The wines however, that my host chose, were exceptional. It is a pleasant atmosphere in the inside / outside area and worth a visit if you are in the vicinity.

Matthew G, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank you for your review, we highly appreciate your feedback!

Il Fornaio Managment

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I had the seafood medley, sorry forgot the name. My girlfriend had the canaloni. Both were very good. In my medley the calamari were a little chewy but the salmon was excellent. The canaloni was also very good.

Matthew G, General Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Buongiorno,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your last visit with us. I've passed along your review to the kitchen to ensure that our calamari is up to our quality standards next time. We are glad that rest of the components of the Grigliata di Pesce and the canneloni were enjoyable. We hope to see you back again in the future.

Grazie mille,
Matthew Galli, General Manager

Reviewed September 23, 2013

The restaurant is part of a chain, nevertheless it's worth the detour. Not only is there an excellent view overlooking the sea, but the service is excellent and the food is nice and tasty. The waiters were all very friendly and smiling and very efficient.
I had some giant prawns sautéed with paprika and garlic with spaghetti, it was excellent. I then had a pizza Capricciosa which was very good and made me feel in Italy.
I recommend this place.

Buongiorno Nico,

Thank you for your feedback concerning your last visit with us. We are glad you had an enjoyable experience dining at our restaurant and hope that you stop in again if make a visit out this way.

Grazie mille,
Matthew Galli, General Manager

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I recently held a wedding rehearsal dinner at Il Fornaio, and it was a most wonderful experience! People were amazed that at a dinner for over 100 people, the menu offered each guest two salad choices, four excellent entrée choices, and three dessert choices – all of them delicious. The food was so good (not to mention the fabulous bread!), and came out perfectly cooked and piping hot. The appetizers were passed, to give everyone a chance at them, and were snapped up. The restaurant staffed up to make the dinner service very fast all around the room, like a restaurant rather than typical plodding banquet service. The ocean-view terrace room was beautifully laid out and felt like a private hall. And the event coordinator, Tanya Coffee, is the best I’ve ever worked with. She helped with every decision, guiding us to the best food and drink choices for our group, helping us to meet the budget, organizing the audio-visual equipment for the bridal couple’s “childhood memories” video, and making herself available whenever we needed her, even if it was not her work day. She was there at the event, watching over everything, pitching in to help with the service, and reassuring me that all the details were taken care of. Through the months of planning, I always felt I was in good hands, and she was really working for me. You had my back, Tanya! Thank you for helping to make this important occasion so successful!