“Beautiful View in Del Mar”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 96 Restaurants in Del Mar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 15th Street
Description: Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Il Fornaio has not changed its menu much in 10 years, but the food is still good, and the view is superb.

Matthew G, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feed back!

Grazie mille !

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were "walk ins" on a Saturday night but asked for an outdoor table over the ocean. Since it was still a bit early (7) we managed a great table. Ok, we did have to wait about 45 mins, but the outdoor bar overlooking the ocean was lovely. The bartender (Chris M) was wonderfully friendly and helpful. He recommended some fantastic wines that he even let us taste before ordering. Our dinner waiter (Amir) was outstanding. We asked for his recommendations and were both very happy. My husband's dish (Salmon with Spinach) wasn't even on the menu, but it was amazing. I had the Butternut Squash Ravioli. Il Fornaio was super busy that night but because of the service, you'd never know it. Amir could not have been a more perfect waiter.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Recently my husband and I were in Del Mar, California and had his birthday dinner at Il Fornaio in Del Mar. It was a wonderful evening -- as usual -- at this restaurant. We had fine food, personal attention -- he received a birthday dessert and some extra treats of several jars of spices. I have been here many times (live in Arizona) and can recommend this restaurant as never having disappointed us and made our dinners "special."

1  Thank Naoma F

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Iv'e dined in their Carmel location a few years back and was quite impressed with that experience. I wanted to see how this one fares but even just as we arrived, we were disappointed with the long line even for those of use who actually had reservations for dinner. We were brought to our table 35 minutes after our hour of reservation. We could see how busy they were on a weekend night but the service was almost hurried until it cleared up a bit. We had salad as antipasti which I could not recall exactly which one. Beef tenderloin with peppercorn sauce was fine according to my friend who had it as his main dish but my veal scallopini was less than stellar in taste and texture, to me anyway. I what I could and left the rest. Sadly I don't think we'll return to Il Fornaio anytime soon.

1  Thank Alikatt
Matthew G, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Buongiorno,
I want to thank you for your Tripadvisor review, we highly appreciate your feedback.
I wanted to apologize about your experience in Del Mar, please feel free to contact me, or any other manager, we really appreciate your business and we want to make sure you will be back.

Have a wonderful day!

Walter Scotto
Il Fornaio Del Mar

Reviewed February 21, 2013

No way to go wrong if you decide to have a pleasurable dinner at San Diego Area. Excellent Service, the waiter know exactly what was the food a bout. The taste was over the spectated. Price its good for what you receive.