“Don't Forget Your Ear Plugs...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sea and Smoke, an American Brasserie - CLOSED

Sea and Smoke, an American Brasserie
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Luis Obispo, California
“Don't Forget Your Ear Plugs...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

We arrived early and were seated in the main dining room, but had we wandered around we would've chosen the downstairs bar area or the outdoor seating.

When our friends joined us we could barely hear them talking. We were all shouting at each other (as was everyone else), and we became very adept at reading lips.

The cocktails were shy of alcohol, but they had a good selection and many offerings of beers and wines.

We ordered a few appetizers, which were great. Try the brussel sprouts, the cauliflower and cheese, and/or the rainbow trout (WOWOW).

Two of us ordered the pork chops, and they were very well seasoned and cooked. Definite winners. I split the sea bass with a friend. So so (tiny serving) and we had to wait quite awhile for a plate and utensils, but by this time the restaurant was swamped.

After dinner we drifted downstairs to the bar and sat out on a side patio. They have overstuffed couches/coffee tables, and service there too.

Would I return? Yes, but I'd definitely sit outside (weather permitting, which it usually is in Del Mar) or in the cozy, elegant bar.

San Diego, California, United States
“Not bad but not what I hoped”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

I believe that Sea and Smoke is the overflow restaurant for Cucina Enoteca and indeed, even the servers think so. Still, I was hoping that I could say it stands on its own merits. Unfortunately, it just wasn't quite there with the menu. For appetizers we ordered the octopus (the best dish of the evening--truly delicious), the warm spinach salad (a large portion, but, alas, not impressive and wish we'd skipped), and the vanilla scented beets (intriguing idea but not something I'd bother with a second time). We ordered four different entrees, scallops, pork belly, quail, and pork shoulder. The scallops were perfectly done with a clever crunchy garnish. None of the others were standouts, though nothing was poor either. The service was excellent, but I have to say that when given a choice between this restaurant and Cucina Enoteca which is practically next door, I'll end up back at Enoteca.

1 Thank Michelle B
Guadalajara,Mexico
“Family dinner in the courtyard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We went here for an early dinner last Sunday,to celebrate my eldest son's birthday.
The setting was very good and the service excellent.
We shared 3 seafood appetizers between the 3 of us; all were very flavorful and fresh seafood.
We each had a main course,which individually we all really enjoyed.We finished the meal off with light desserts.
The wine list is very good , varied; my son is knowledgeable and had no negative comments.
While I thought the prices were rather high, as I live in Mexico, I really need other opinions.

Vaughan, Canada
“Love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I visit the area often and always enjoy at least a couple of meals during our visit.
The food is outstanding, great service!

San Diego, CA
“A positive first impression”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

I am a long time customer at the Flower Hill Promenade, and personally, I have been very disappointed with the opening of Whole Foods, several new rather posh restaurants and the disappearance of the movie theater, the book store (Book Works) and some of the older restaurants, that made Flower Hill very cozy. The new Promenade is very "sterile" for my liking. I preface with all this, because I have been hesitant to try any of the new restaurants. However, last week, my husband, my friend and I decided to try one of the new eateries. It was a Saturday night at 5:45 and we decided to try the new Italian place (cucina enoteca). The young lady there informed us she would only "honor the restaurant week reservations". Her attitude and lack of trying to help us, sent us to Sea and Smoke. The two young ladies did ask if we had a reservation, and I said we didn't. I also voiced my opinion that it was only 5:45, the restaurant was empty and we had already been turned away by another restaurant. One of the young ladies immediately found us a very nice table, and just asked if we could release the table by 7:00, which I said would be no problem. Our waiter was a very down to earth young man who was very helpful in guiding us through the menu. I had the salmon and my husband and friend had the burger. Everything was very tasty. The restaurant did start to get busy after our arrival and by the time we left (before 7:00), it was rather crowded. The food is a bit too expensive for my liking, but it was very good and above all, I was very impressed by the fact that the hostesses were very helpful in allowing us to dine there. They had no airs about "restaurant week" and "honoring reservations" just for that purpose. These things matter to me (customer service), and for that reason alone, I will be back at Sea and Smoke.

• Visited January 2014