“Psycho hotel”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Sherman Oaks
“Psycho hotel”
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I had a confirmed reservation with a confirmed check in time. When I arrived I was told the room would not be ready for a full four hours after the confirmed check in time. When I protested that this was a breach of contract, and I needed to get into the room before a meeting, the owner flipped out, became abusive, cancelled my reservation and told me to leave! She probably knew full well that all hotels for miles around were booked out and she could easily fill my room for more money. It put me in a terrible spot because I couldn't get another room anywhere. DO NOT PLAN TO STAY HERE unless you don't mind sleeping in your car.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
8 Thank Sleepless077

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Diego
Reviewed February 15, 2010

The Secret Garden Bed and Breakfast in Del Mar is an amazing and relaxing B&B hidden behind The Secret cafe in Del Mar, Ca. You check in at Les Artistes Inn and they will take you the one block to this hidden gem. We were in the Rose room which has a balcony with an ocean view AND you can hear the waves at night. The room was perfect size and immaculate with wonderful details throughout. The Cafe in front has wonderful food and incredible staff.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Orange County
Reviewed November 14, 2009

I wanted a romantic and unique hotel to stay in. I booked a room for 2 nights without seeing the hotel first. My mistake and lesson learned. I visited the website which portrayed the hotel much differently then it actually is. The upside is the friendly man who worked at the "front desk", which is just a window that you access from outsite. There is no lobby. All this place is is a motel that has a theme for each room. The concept on paper is intriguing. The reality is that the place is nothing more than pipe dream. The walls are paper thin and you hear everything from the other rooms. The price is absolutely rediculous considering the accomodations. In all honesty, we were so disappointed that we didn't stay there the second night. We went to the Hilton a few miles down the road for MUCH better accomodations for the same price. Of course, we didn't get our money back for the night we didn't use, even though we expressed our disappointment over 24 hours in advance of the second night. BE WARNED - THIS IS AN OVER PRICED MOTEL!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank OLY1

Travelers are raving about these Del Mar hotels

Irvine, CA
Reviewed October 29, 2009

We had a marvelous night at the Les Artistes Inn. The room was charming and the service was excellent. We were happily given a vase for flowers, glasses for champagne and had a fire in the fireplace when we came back from dinner. I love this place and plan to visit again. What a value for a beautiful resting spot: elegant and comfortable rooms!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed September 24, 2009

My husband and I were in Del Mar for a wedding recently and had agreed to splurge on L'Auberge for the actual wedding night, but decided to go the budget-friendly route for the 2 nights prior. While there was sweet service at the Stratford Inn (which we checked into on arrival), it was pretty depressing for the most part. Starving, we wandered up the road and stumbled into a FANTASTIC little Peruvian cafe (Cafe Secret, which apparently has only been open a couple of months and definitely one of the sweetest dining experiences we've had in the States for a number of reasons). Noticed there was a sign for a B&B so asked about that and learned that it was "sort of closed" for the season but is sister to another inn a couple of blocks away. Long story short(ish): We saw the courtyard and exterior/entryway of the rooms at Secret and were sold in an instant (especially since a presumably amazing breakfast is included - a MILLION times better than the undrinkable coffee at Stratford and mostly overpriced offerings at L'Auberge!)...booking is weird though, be warned. If you have patience and can take a quirk or two, you'll be fine and thank yourself later. Ask for John (the General Manager). We saw the rooms at Les Artistes and loved the Zen room especially - agreed we'd be happy at either, and ultimately wound up in the Lotus Room at Secret Garden (rooms at Secret are slightly more expensive than Artistes, fyi, as it's pegged as their "premium" product) and wished we could have stayed there another night and skipped L'Auberge all together! Will definitely be back and recommend to all our friends who love a good secret gem. PS random comparison, but reminded me in a strange way of Zamas in Tulum, Mexico - another hidden gem and extraordinary value, same price point and extraordinary simple food. Oh, and back to the food: The restaurant at Secret is run by the totally charming and lovely Bratzo and Daniella with amaaazing Peruvian specialities (they actually import real Peruvian corn - which, if you've never had it, will make it hard to eat "normal" corn again!..."pulled" chicken empanadas and crab causa and ceviches...all seriously delish) and live music on weekends and a selection of wines for just $5 per glass. Sweet mellow heaven. Ryan in the kitchen fantastic too. Wish we had something like it/them in NYC!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank talkingbean
big bear
Reviewed September 7, 2009

READ THIS REVIEW OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!!

We rented the "Furo" room. When I pulled the sheets back to see why the bed was so soft I almost retched at the smell of the mattress. It smelled like a thrift store on a hot day! When I pulled the sheets back further the mattress was stained and worn, like a mattress in front of someones house with a free sign. TRUST US the gardens are cute and the rooms look cute on the internet but looking deeper the rooms are filthy and the owners are rude!!!!!

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank puggy8
wyoming
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Great location in Del Mar; loved the Farmer's Market in the parking lot next door. We stayed in the Van Gogh room and loved the inlaid mosaic tile around the claw-foot tub. I did not pack a blow-dryer and upon asking to borrow one from the office was immediately loaned a nice one. (note--this is not a typical kennel-type hotel where all rooms are alike and come stocked with dryers, ironing boards, but if you need anything, the courteous staff does all they can to meet your travel needs). Great bed with wonderful crisp linens. Will definately stay here again!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
L'Auberge Del Mar
L'Auberge Del Mar
#1 of 7 in Del Mar

Been to Les Artistes? Share your experiences!