“Bad Experience”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Las Vegas
“Bad Experience”
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Venturing to check out this motel, I encountered The Receptionist! (eventually, after much searching, I FOUND the reception). This unpleasant woman apparently objected to my 'body language' as I was somewhat surprised at the run down condition of the hotel in upscale Del Mar. She demanded that I leave expressing that she would not rent to me and to leave the premises immediately. She was offensive and agressive.

My son, his wife and dog would have been visiting for four or five nights and I hardly think that in this present economic climate that it is good business to abuse a potential guest or guests.

My husband is a former executive at Caesars Palace in our home town of Las Vegas and is acutely aware of the importance of catering to visitors in resort areas. We rent a condo every summer for four months on the beach in Solana Beach and owing to the CC&Rs we are unable to accommodate my son with his much loved dog so other arrangements have to be made. Suffice to say we will never have anything positive to say about Les Artistes Inn and would suggest that the woman I had the misfortune to encounter on the morning of July 2nd be advised to adjust her attitude in the interests of good business.

• Stayed July 2009
2 Thank British123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Ventura, CA
Reviewed May 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed in the De Lempicka room several years ago for our anniversary and had a great time. We like the quaint appeal of the Inn, and thought the room was perfect for our needs. I called this morning to book a room for our anniversary in August, and after seven or eight rings, someone picked up. I was told I could not make an August reservation until July, and when I enquired about rates, she told me "I have no idea what the rooms will cost in August." And they have a two night minimum. She said "It might be around $179 per night, but I really don't know." You'll have to call back in a couple months. She was quite rude, and not helpful at all. I told her, "Well, that's really not going to help me. I guess I'll have to stay somewhere else." She said "Okay, Bye."

Too bad, because I liked Les Artistes. But I do not tolerate rude employees. The owner should have someone else answering the phones.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank heidit

Travelers are raving about these Del Mar hotels

Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 13, 2009

I stayed in the Zen room and loved the peaceful Asian decor. The room was clean, had plenty of towels and a comfy bed. The small refrigerator came in handy for my water, fruit and snacks. Off my room was a lovely little patio with table and chairs. The flowers were blooming and birds were chirping. The staff and owner were attentive and extremely friendly. Hotel was located a few minutes walk from center of town. Coffee was served in the morning. What a pleasant surprise to wake up Saturday morning to find a farmers' market in the hotel parking lot! The only thing missing from the room was a box of facial tissue.
For those looking for a high tech, super modern hotel, Les Artistes might disappoint. But I loved it and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
New Jersey
Reviewed December 6, 2008

I found Les Artistes Inn on the internet as I was planning a west coast birthday weekend for my 70 year old mother. I contacted the proprietor by phone, and she could not have been nicer or more excited to share in my mother's upcoming birthday celebration. After viewing each of the rooms via panoramic videos on their website, we stayed in the O'Keefe room, and were knocked out by the charm as well as the INCREDIBLE attention to detail that went into the design and decoration of the whole place (mosaic tiled shower, inlaid stones and relief tiles in the walls, and southwestern artwork, linens and artifacts that were true-to-form for the artist, welcoming gardens and fountains outside the rooms, etc). The proprietors built the hotel from the ground up, and their love of art and design is evident in every nook and cranny of the hotel. It's not a brand new, upscale, immaculate (see also: sterile) hotel, but I would not agree with other reviews on this site that describe it as dirty or substandard. In fact, I found our room to be clean, neat, and well-stocked with extra blankets and pillows.

They were in the midst of a facelift for the building (doing renovations to create a larger, more comfortable lobby and veranda),and, though we were perfectly happy with our accommodations, the proprietors graciously offered to move us to a room at their sister location (one block away) the Secret Garden Inn. We were sorry to leave the charm of the O'Keefe room, but we found the ocean view and stunning "lotus room" (as well as the beautifully appointed courtyard) of the Secret Garden Inn irresistible, so we moved.

In all, I couldn't be happier with our experience at Les Artistes Inn, and the Secret Garden Inn. I travel often for business, and am happy to have found a peaceful, relaxing, beautiful getaway spot in Southern California. The town of Del Mar is charming and easy to get to from San Diego, and the Saturday morning Farmer's market (in the parking lot next to Les Artistes Inn) was a wonderful and unexpected bonus. I can't wait to go back!

• Liked — the attention to detail in the arhcitecture and design- CHARMING!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank JerseyGirl922
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 24, 2007

I have been staying at Les Artistes when I have been in the San Diego area for the past eight years. I love it. I prefer B&B type places over "regular" hotels wtih multiple floors, stereotypical rooms, dirty stained partially vacuumed carpeting, worn thin towels, and formal reception areas and decor. I find Les Artistes a home-away-from home. It is uniquely designed, each room with a "flavor" of an impressionist artist or a bit of Zen. The "decor" is not "elegant" but practical. and put together with a loving touch. The hotel is always clean, practical for a beach location with tile floors and some with washable rugs. There is opportunity to be friendly for those who want to socialize around the individual patio greenery -fountain settings, or retreat to one's own patio. I would not recommend it to everyone. It is sort of "thrift shop decorated, " but clean and many rooms have been newly renovatied. The linens are always of exceptional quality, with down comforters and elegrant linents which dont' smell like dis-infectant, or feel like the bed has not been changed from the previous resident. The bathrooms are clean and functional and some elegant. The office is informal, family-style with "help yourself" towels and dinnerware cabinets. One can walk to downtown and the beach if one wishes. It is kind of a " funky" B&B with a small help-yourself continental breakfast and not a lot of formal service. It is not for the "prima donna" but for the non-materialistic person who wants fresh air from open patio doors and windows and a warm, friendly home away from home atmosphere..

• Liked — uniqueness, cleanliness, practicality
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
5 Thank aztraveler52
San Clemente
Reviewed July 28, 2007

My wife and I use the Trip Advisor site every time we travel. It has been very helpful to us over the years. However, this is the first time we have felt compelled to prepare a review. Our recent stay at Les Artistes was absolutely horrible from beginning to end. Here are our impressions:

Management:

The hotel is run by a husband and wife combo. They were unprofessional and disorganized.

Rooms:

Our room was filthy from top to bottom. The cushion on the built-in bench was coverd with stains. The bathroom was tiny and had no door. The bed linens were gross. We were awake all night itching and scratcing (still are a few days later). Not sure if there were bed bugs or what. The carpets were nasty. The mini-blinds on the windows were dusty and did little to keep out the light. I could go on forever.

Location:

On the firnge of the downtown Del Mar area and a few blocks up from the beach. Many bars, restaurants and shops are within walking distance. Not a bad location, although, since the rooms are close to the street, the traffic was very loud.

Overall:

Although we usually stay in high-end hotels, I do not consider us spoiled. We are pretty good at embracing new and different situations. Based on the reviews we read and the information on Les Artistes' website, we were prepared for funky. However, we were not prepared for filthy, especially at almost $200 per night. I would rather stay in a Motel 6, which would be much cleaner. Character can be a great attribute in a hotel, but only when it is done right. Les Artistes does it wrong. Avoid it.

• Liked — Leaving it.
  • Disliked — Everyting.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank LaBronze
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 24, 2006

I found this hotel from its reviews here. My best guess is that they might have been written by the proprietor. He is very proud of his place, and he's put some effort into it, just not always in advisable ways. Each room takes an interior decorating theme from an artist. Ours, the De Limpicka, was on the far end with a sliver of a view of the beach when standing at the right spot in the room. (It's not on the beach, and most rooms probably don't have any view at all.) The main problem with the place is that it was dirty. This cavalier attitude to dirt was manifest in other areas as well. For instance, extra pillows were provided in the closet, but they were without pillow cases. In addition, one of the comforters was without a comforter cover. Strange, all, I thought. Another problem I had was with the shabby chic decor, which to my taste, didn't quite work. The final problem was with lack of privacy. The propietor showed up at an inopportune time on the other side of our door to knock, asking me to move my car. The location was so-so. The bluffs to the beach are a football field away. But unless you want to take the surfer path down off the bluff it's maybe a half of a mile away.

• Stayed June 2006
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
L'Auberge Del Mar
L'Auberge Del Mar
#1 of 7 in Del Mar

Been to Les Artistes? Share your experiences!