“Romantic and artsy”

Les Artistes
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
“Romantic and artsy”
Reviewed February 3, 2005

The inn is right in "old" Del Mar and just a few blocks from the beach. Though the guy who owns the place is a bit eccentric (it's a B and B with each room decorated in a different art "theme"--and you expect a normal hotel proprieter?) but friendly. Since we surf, we chose the Japanese-style Furo room with an old-fashioned hot tub so we could warm up in it afterwards. The room has little Buddhas and shoji screens. It also had an ocean view through some big Torrey Pines.

You can see all the rooms on the website lesartistesinn (for some reason, it doesn't show up on Google, so I put the address here). The inn is fine with you putting surfboards and sandy wetsuits out on the balcony. (Very safe) They also serve coffee in the morning. Parking is free.

It is a nice walk from the inn to an excellent outdoor cafe called the Stratford (lunch and breakfast only). We had the "dinner for couples" a few miles away at Nugent's seafood where you can sit outside on a patio and watch the sunset--it is an excellent deal with dinner for two, including wine, appetizers and dessert for $50.

• Stayed January 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed September 30, 2004

The Gaugin room was so comfratable and the whole inn is so quiet and relaxing. Only went to the races and stayed one night, but wished we could of stayed more. By the way did a walk through at the top rated hotel in Del Mar.. not so great.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2004

I was looking for a romantic place to stay for my boyfriend and I, as we hadn't seen much of each other. I found Les Artistes in a "Romantic Places in San Diego" book -- I thought it sounded adorable, and I checked out their website. After looking at the basic room pictures, I chose the Furo room because it looked calm and relaxing and romantic. We ended up staying 2 nights in the most gorgeous Japanese-style room - Complete w/ fountain, shogu screens, wood floors, and an excellent bed. I'm not sure when I've slept better at a hotel!

The hotel itself looks a little interesting, covered in bougainvillea and white lights...But it is absolutely perfect for a short getaway.

We're definitely going there again! =)

• Stayed June 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 7, 2004

We stayed at Les Artistes for two nights in December 2003. If you have a sense of adventure and find same-as-the-next-place hotels dull and unappealing, take a look at this inn! It's unique: our room, called Furo, was decorated in Japanese style, complete with rice-paper screens on doors and windows, and had an in-floor hot tub in the bathroom (if you need to add more hot water, use the right-hand faucet). In addition to the fascinating decor, the sheets were soft, and the tiny refrigerator/freezer was much appreciated, especially when the local farmer's market set up for business in the inn's parking lot on Saturday. On the down side, using the hot tub made the room feel rather clammy (I would recommend booking this room when the weather is warm enough to leave the porch doors open while using the tub), I found some ants crawling around in the bathroom and sink areas each day (but I've been in large chain hotels that had worse ant problems), and some things were a bit dusty and cobwebby. If I were staying again in the winter, I would forego the hot tub and choose a different room; the inn has at least 10 designed and decorated in honor of various artists. I wish I could have seen more of them!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 26, 2003

We spent a week here in the Japanese room and loved every minute of it.
Although the room is not cluttered, everywhere we looked we found artistic touches and lots of storage for our belongings. This place is funky and rustic, but if those descriptions don't scare you, then this place will work for you. I have read one review from a traveller who was not a guest that found the staff here unfriendly. We did not find that to be true. When we asked questions about the area, they sat down with us and helped us plan our activities. We will definitely stay here again.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 31, 2003

Long story short: stopped in to this motel asking for a pay phone. A man (owner?) chased me out threatening to call the sheriff if I didn't leave the property. Perhaps if you are interested in absolute privacy as a guest, this is the place for you. This is not the place if you have any type of criticism or ask for extra service; you risk unreasonable hostility. Some more details: I had been displaced by the San Diego wildfires for 6 days; staying with a relative just north of Del Mar. Got stuck in bad traffic on the highway. Had a phone consult scheduled with my doctor at 4pm; had waited for this conversation for weeks. I left the highway hoping to find a pay phone. My cell phone was dead and I had left the charger in my home in my haste to get out days earlier. Got stuck in more traffic in Del Mar. I saw a pay phone, but it was just feet away from the traffic; very noisy. Then I saw this motel. I entered the door that said Open; no one present except a woman sitting at the desk and two dogs that greeted my ankles. I asked if she had a pay phone. She said no, but pointed to the one on the street. I proceeded to explain why I didn't want to use that one. She asked if I had a room. When I said no she became very adamant about sending me on my way. I was embarassed and wanted her to understand why I was acting so desperate. Finally I gave up and on my way out the door said I wouldn't be recommending this place to anyone. Immediately out of nowhere came this man yelling at me to get out or he would call the sheriff. Of course, I got in my car and left. I had made no demands; I had not used any profanity. His behavior and threats were completely unreasonable, especially in a service industry.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Del Mar hotels

Reviewed April 20, 2003

Les Artistes is the greatest little hotel we have ever been to. From the great personal service, to the beautiful unique interior design of the rooms, we could not have asked for better. Each room is decorates in the motif of a different artist or era. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. We will never stay anywhere else in del mar. It is really a jewl.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,130 reviews
Winners Circle Resort
Winners Circle Resort
#1 of 3 in Solana Beach

Been to Les Artistes? Share your experiences!