“What a special and unique place! Different... but in the best possible way!”
Review of Les Artistes

Les Artistes
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Reviewed September 29, 2011

For those who like to take try something a bit different you will be charmed by this unique gem. The owners are super relaxed and were nice enough to give us an early check in and late check out (I think they were sympathetic to travelling with a toddler!)
We went with another couple and we stayed in 2 rooms on the upper level. There is a cool little bar area on the balcony where the adults could retreat to and drink some wine and hang out after the kids had gone to bed. The owners came up to see if they could get us anything (of their own accord!), and lent us some glasses and lit a fire us.
The rooms was also very child friendly, with a single day bed sectioned off from the main King sized bed. (We were in the Gauguin)
The rooms have such a nice warm feel to it and transport you to the worlds the artists have created in their work. We totally felt like we were in Tahiti!
And the complimentary tropical fruit in the morning is yummy!
LOVE this place, and highly recommend it. Cheers guys!
PS also must mention that this place is in walking distance of the BEST CAFE EVER! The secret garden - oh my gosh everything on the menu is incredible!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank clareainzy

Reviewed September 29, 2011

Our three night stay was comforable and we enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. My wife was judging a horse show in Del Mar and it was great to return to the the quiet and natural ambience of the Lotus Room at the Secret Garden B&B. The breakfasts and service at the restaurant were great! Try the American omlette!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We happened upon this little inn and were so pleasantly surprised. What a treasure! It's such a breath of fresh air compared to the stagnant, coldness of a chain hotel. We will happily return again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2011

In addition to the Inn, these owners own a number of properties. I rented from them and they charged hundreds of dollars more without an explanation of charges, and waited over 4 months to send what they did refund. Repeated calls went unanswered, and I still have not received a satisfactory (or any) explanation of charges. Do not recommend doing business with them.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank belizeislandgirl
Reviewed April 22, 2011

After visiting Del Mar the previous year and staying further out of town we opted for the slightly better located Les Artistes. We thought the location to town an ideal distance for walking in and out of town and we were right. Upon arrival we met the lady who owns/runs the accommodation - a little quirky perhaps but quite funny - her humour could be taken the wrong way I would imagine by some. The atmosphere is relaxed and laid back, the establishment is individual in character compared to the standard chain hotel/motels. We were very comfortable, the room was clean, the towels plentiful, thick & fluffy. There was a guy helping with cleaning and maintenance who was extremely helpful with all our enquiries. Plenty of free parking for all residents. The only downside comment I would give is that it is a little overpriced for what you get - not the best value for money accommodation out there. However, it suited our requirements and we were quite contented with everything.

Room Tip: Relaxed atmosphere in great location - a bit pricy
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jo1960
Reviewed January 30, 2011

..and that is saying something! Perhaps it was because I had a nasty cold at the time and I was tired and just wanted to find somewhere quickly that evening, so we stopped here and husband went in to see if any vacancies. Then he came out to the car and said "this is just your scene. You will love it!"
He was right. Yes, it might have the appearance of a themed motel as others have suggested, but it has been themed with love and care by the owners over many years and it is surely one of the more original places I have stayed in.
We were travelling with our 3 sons who were given a triple room and we had a double a few doors down. OK so the balconies look out over a little garden at the back and if you crane you neck you can just about see the sea, but that is the charm of this place. You go up to the second level and there are tiny coloured stones underfoot and mosaiics and each area opposite the doors of the rooms is a continuation of what the rooms are themed on (the work of various artists).
The owners were very friendly and we enjoyed a light breakfast snack in the seating area at the front on both mornings (yes we loved it so much we stayed two nights) and on our last morning there, the lady owner took us around to look in some of the empy rooms to see what she had created. It was fantastic. I loved Del Mar anyway, it was a highlight of our Californian break last year, and staying at Les Artistes only sealed the deal.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank LondonBoomerang2
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I had a confirmed reservation with a confirmed check in time. When I arrived I was told the room would not be ready for a full four hours after the confirmed check in time. When I protested that this was a breach of contract, and I needed to get into the room before a meeting, the owner flipped out, became abusive, cancelled my reservation and told me to leave! She probably knew full well that all hotels for miles around were booked out and she could easily fill my room for more money. It put me in a terrible spot because I couldn't get another room anywhere. DO NOT PLAN TO STAY HERE unless you don't mind sleeping in your car.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
San Diego Marriott Del Mar
San Diego Marriott Del Mar
#108 of 279 in San Diego
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar

Been to Les Artistes? Share your experiences!