“Valentine dinner”

Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Paseos De Las Flores
Description: Shimbashi Izakaya, with sweeping views of the Pacific Ocean, is located on the Market Level at the Del Mar Plaza. We offer an extensive seasonal menu, fresh sushi and sashimi, a wide selection of sake and Japanese beer. With our tapas-style Japanese menu, Shimbashi Izakaya features fresh seafood that is always in season.
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We went for their Valentine special which is quite a good deal. It has 4 dishes. First need tataki which was good. 2 sushi rolls. One is a tempura shrimp kind which was so so as the shrimp was not crunchy. The other is a spicy fish which was good. The main course was a seafood stew. It had lots of seafood but the broth was a bit thin. The final dish was cheese cake which is more American than they usual Japanese light kind. We sat profits and it was fine with the numerous hearts around. All in all a good meal but but special

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We had a delightful lunch on the patio of Restaurant Shimbashi. It was a beautiful day, and the patio allows a view of the ocean. Ambience does count. No worries about the food. We ordered variety of dishes, and al were terrific: from the seafood miso soup to sashimi to tempera to skewers to udon. We will definitely return when we are next in the area. Prices were reasonable for the quality of food but not cheap. Service was obliging and friendly.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

What a nice surprise. Walking up some stairs towards the sound of music from a bar not far away, I've chosen this restaurant for dinner a Sunday evening on a terrace face to the sea.
I've enjoyed and excellent sashimi with fresh fish, and great rolls, the "La Fresca Roll" and the "Celebration Roll". I was so delighted I took two rolls. They are also specialized in Sake, and tasted their Junmai Sake Sampler. Everything was delightful. Even though the service was efficient, not once I saw a smile, unfortunately. I was also a bit surprised by the over price on the dishes, but that is true everywhere in Del Mar.
Otherwise, I recommend this place both for the view and the food.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Very average sushi. I have had much better sushi in California, but this wasn't what I look forward to when coming here. One of our party insisted on inside dining, but the outside dining looked quite inviting. The inside parking garage is very convenient & I like the Del Mar Plaza in general.

1  Thank Iforgetmyname4
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is one of my families favorite places to eat. We live in La Jolla and when our kids are home, we head up for our fix. We love that it's authentic Japanese food. This "style" considered a "fast food" in Japan, hence the name and tradition at transit stops.