“Yum Yum Yum - and more Yum”
Review of Del Mar Rendezvous

Del Mar Rendezvous
Reserve with OpenTable
Del Mar Rendezvous is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 98 Restaurants in Del Mar
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Healthy
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Paseo de las Flores
Description: From the creator of the famous Dumpling Inn on Convoy Street, Del Mar Rendezvous has been enticing San Diegans with its wide array of Chinese fare complimented by a modern mix of Asian flavors for over a decade. Rendezvous boasts craft, local, and high-end import beer on draft, Japanese sakes, as well as a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence wine list with over 100 wines all at the Best Price in San Diego everyday. With over 100 different dishes on its menu, Rendezvous also caters to both gluten-free and vegetarian guests with over 40 dedicated options to choose from on each menu. The ambiance of the interior and patio, with glimpses of the Pacific Ocean, offer a calming and inviting atmosphere, perfect for date nights, business
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I decided to try Rendezvous for Restaurant Week, which turns out they did the whole month of January instead of just the two designated weeks. The parking structure is located right behind the restaurant and they validate parking, so that is nice. They have some outdoor tables that are probably really nice to sit at when the sun is shinning. Inside is very small but clean, I didn't like the bathroom because the lock was a little odd and I couldn't tell if it was actually locked or not.

For appetizers:

I had the Dim Sum Steamed Pork Dumplings. I was not impressed by these. I am not sure if was maybe a different style them I am used to but they had an odd flavor and squirted out hot oil when bitten.

He had the Ahi and totally loved it. He said the quality was amazing, it was fresh and delicious. The portion size was huge, and could have been a main course.

For the main course:

I had the Peppery Fried Chicken and holy crap I loved it!!! I was concerned at first because it looked boring and like it could be dry but boy was I wrong. It was moist and a little spicy and perfectly cooked. This was also a large portion and I just couldn't stop eating it. This was served with a huge bowl of rice and sauce that I didn't even need to use.

He had the Mongolian Rack of Lamb. He loved this dish as well. It looked beautiful and was just enough to fill you up but not stuff you. I was lucky and got to take a bite of this and yes it was super delicious, it had amazing flavor and melted in your mouth.

For dessert:

We shared the Mile High Mud Pie, and we both thought it was good. It was way lighter than you would expect.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We love Chinese food, eat out a lot, and were wowed by this restaurant. After reading Ron J's review I don't have to add more details. I fully agree: if you are in the Del Mar area and love good food, this is a must.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I went to Restaurant Week (January 13-18) after pouring over the ever-growing list of 180-plus restaurants participating in this year's winter event. We were looking for not only deals, but menus that showcased interesting and taste-tempting dishes. When I'm asked for my opinion of must-visit dining spots, I'm suggesting an Asian gem located in the heart of Del Mar on the street level of Del Mar Plaza.

A friend raved about Del Mar Rendezvous so we chose it as the one restaurant we would visit for the event. And we were glad we did, each dish we tasted was delightfully different and expertly prepared and presented.

The wine offering during the promotion deserves special mention. The wine, sake and beer list is first rate with a very nice selection of affordable wines mostly from the West Coast, primarily from California. And here's where Rendezvous shines on restaurant week. During the entire event diners got half price on any bottle of already handsomely priced wine. This is an amazing offer considering that most restaurants during restaurant week count on full price wine sales to boost the bottom line.

Like many restaurants participating in the event, Rendezvous served both dinner and lunch specials. Lunch diners had the choice of one appetizer and an entrée for $20. Dinners were $25, $30 and $38 depending upon the entrée selection, a very good value considering some selections like the Mongolian Rack of Lamb normally run $36. Along with the main dish diners could choose from a selection of appetizers and desserts. If you're too full for dessert, they will subtract $3 from the tab.

Creating a menu tempting to regulars as well and new diners takes a lot of thought. Rendezvous' strategy was to offer two new items exclusively for the week - BBQ Short Rib Slices and Salt and Pepper Lobster, as well as extensive choices from the regular menu including their signature dishes.

Both new dishes were outstanding. The sizzling tender thin slices of marinated short ribs had a slight char like they were just off the grill. The succulent and flavorful Salt and Pepper Lobster ($38 offering) consisted of twin Maine lobster tails in a chili-pepper seasoning served chopped into easy-to-mine, shell-on pieces -- all which made for a fun and interactive, if a bit messy meal.

Other favorites that we sampled was a delightful Sesame Crusted Seared Ahi -- sashimi grade Ahi, seared on the outside and raw through the center drizzled in a wasabi aioli dressing and laid over a bed of spring mix lettuce with Rendezvous' house vinaigrette. The Ahi was absolutely fresh and the tasty sauce not overpowering. And the steamed pork and green onion dumplings were first rate – we could have made a meal of those little flavor-packed packages.

But our hand's down favorite was a customer favorite, Walnut Shrimp -- seven succulent jumbo shrimp covered in a crunchy thin crust with a pitch perfect, not-too-sweet sauce topped with crunchy whole caramelized walnuts. We've tried variations of this difficult-to-master dish many times before and this was the first time my wife loved the dish.

Included in the restaurant week selection was the full regular list of desserts. One of the most popular is Xiangiao (shiang-jow), an eggroll filled with banana cheesecake rolled in cinnamon, and topped with whipped cream, caramel and chocolate sauce. After seeing the delighted reactions of one of the other diners we ordered the Mile High Mud Pie which consisted of mocha almond fudge ice cream topped with chocolate cookie crust and whipped cream, caramel and chocolate sauce – very sharable and sinfully delightful.

Our vegetarian, vegan and gluten free friends are in for treat as well. There's a regular menu that includes over 40 selections that include appetizers, soups, noodle & rice dishes and entrees.

After dining at Rendezvous it was obvious why the management made a restaurant week offering you can't refuse. Once you try their food and drink, you can't wait to come back as a regular. I know we will.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Perhaps, the food may be considered great if I never had really good chinese before. The taste was extremely bland like the chef did not want to use too many rich and spicy flavors that make Chinese food really good. Our meals consisted of steam pork dumplings which were very dense and lacked flavor. Our main meal was equally as bland. However, the staff was extremely accommodating. So if you want a safe meal in Del Mar go here. The prices are reasonable but we left feeling unsatisfied.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Great food, service, and atmosphere! You can also enjoy wondetful view too. We had HK noodle soup, walnut shrimp, fire cracker calamari, and eggplant dishes. They were all amazing! I'm also very impressed with varieties of vegetarian and gluten free dishes they offer. You can visit here with all kinds of friends and family without being struggled to please everyone. This is definitely 'must go'.

Been to Del Mar Rendezvous? Share your experiences!