“Waaaay overpriced”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Davis
San Jose, CA
“Waaaay overpriced”
Reviewed May 16, 2008

This place is so overpriced its ridiculous. We're paying $177/night, and it's such a dump. There are stains on the carpet, it smells funny, the paint is peeling, there are water stains everywhere. It's 90 degrees here and the room is sweltering- the air conditioner sucks. This was literally the only hotel in Davis where we could find a room, and I am not surprised now that I see the place.
The staff are nice, and there is parking at least. Other than that, I feel so ripped off.

• Liked — The nice woman at check-in.
  • Disliked — The room.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2008

We stayed at the Hallmark Inn for one night. We had a junior suite on the third floor. It was spacious and clean; the carpet had some spots. The bed was comfortable. The train tracks are right behind the hotel, I only heard a train once during the night and it did not bother us. We heard it multiple times in the morning when we were up. I like the sound of trains, :-)
We went to the reception in the evening and had a drink. Nice touch.
We had breakfast at the hotel and it was good.
The staff was friendly and nice. Parking was no problem. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2008
1 Thank PVfirst
San Francisco
Reviewed February 4, 2008

I had to go to Davis on business including meetings held at this hotel. The place smells moldy both in the hallways and the sleeping rooms. The staff seems to be all college kids who are pleasant but have no idea what hotel service should be.
I carry a water tester with me as I travel world-wide. Suffice it to say after testing it I would not drink the hotel water or brush my teeth with it. Our meeting room was also moldy/mildew smelling with an uneven floor.
Completely unsatisfactory.

Stayed November 2007
Roseville, CA
Reviewed July 1, 2007

we had a group reservation at this hotel for my wedding party, and experienced problem after problem before and now still after the wedding. They lost our contract for the group, threatened to drop all of our reservations less than a month before the wedding, and then wrote up a new contract with different rules. The staff was horribly rude, my new husband and I were trying to ask questions about checkout and the lady never made eye contact and even went into their back room and shut the door when I was in mid-question, then when she came back we got to enjoy a nice lecture about how we should not be late for checkout. Now more than a month later they have sent us a bill charging us for two extra nights that we did not stay. This hotel is like a bad disease that just won't go away. Take my advise and stay somewhere else in Davis ... if there isn't anything else just drive the 6 miles in either direction ... to west sacramento or dixon and avoid a nightmare.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
HallmarkInn, General Manager at Hallmark Inn at UC Davis, responded to this review, July 26, 2007
Please accept my sincerest apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at the Hallmark Inn, Davis. From your account the experience was unacceptable and definitely not our standard. I would like to have the opportunity to address your concerns.
Please feel free to contact me directly at #800-753-0035 Monday through Friday at your convenience.
Marisa Schaffer, General Manager

Ventura
Reviewed April 5, 2007

We stayed at the Hallmark for three nights, and it was an abysmal experience. With a few notable exceptions, the front desk staff was rude and uninterested in helping us, despite the fact that the hotel had messed up our reservations. The rooms were extremely noisy, with a train running throughout the night and no sound-proofing. The beds were uncomfortable and the linens stained. Several lights were broken. The shower faucet sprayed water into the bathroom. The internet access worked only occasionally. The continental breakfast was tasteless and pre-packaged.

The only good thing about this motel is its location near the UC campus and near Mishka's cafe (great coffee!)

• Stayed March 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Marisa Schaffer, General Manager

Boston
Reviewed October 9, 2006

This place is literally just one step above a motel. Their website is very misleading, it looks much nicer than the property actually is. We had a room on the street, very noisy -- people were walking by talking and we could hear them very clearly plus the train is within a 1/4 mile of the hotel and runs frequently, particularly during the day.

The location is very convenient for anything in downtown Davis and is fairly close to the campus as well but the property itself is really 3rd rate. I would not recommend it to anyone who is used to staying in most chain hotels. Very disappointing and the (outdoor) pool is quite small. "Fitness center" is the same.

Free breakfast is decent, though.

Stayed October 2006
Miami
Reviewed August 28, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in August, and it was a very comfortable stay. We stayed in room 112, which was very handy because it was on the ground floor just steps from the breakfast/entry area. The room and bathroom were clean, and the bathroom came with a hairdryer. The beds were not the most comfortable, and like another reviewer says, the TV is always extremely loud when you first turn it on, but other than that (and the noisy trains that pass a few times a day) I don't have any complaints about the hotel.
The breakfast in the morning was better than expected with fresh watermelon and cantaloupe available and a machine dispensing four different types of juice, as well as the standard breads and pastries. The happy hour from 5-7 was really nice - we would sit by the pool drinking margaritas - definitely a nice touch. You also get a newspaper at your door each morning which is nice.
I thought the staff was really helpful and friendly - we asked for a refrigerator and the next morning it was delivered to our room along with a microwave.
The location is also great - right downtown, easy walking distance from restaurants (try Thai 2K) and the university. It's not the cheapest option around, but if it's in your price range, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2006