“Great Hotel”

Hallmark Inn at UC Davis
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Davis
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We spent two nights here for a recent conference. The service was excellent, the room was large and spotless with comfortable beds, and our stay included complimentary breakfast. Check in/check out was quick and efficient. They also have free use of bikes for guests who want to ride through the bike-friendly campus, which we did to get to the conference location. We highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HallmarkInn, General Manager at Hallmark Inn at UC Davis, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

On behalf of the entire Hallmark Inn, Davis team "Thank you" for taking the time to share your thoughts on our property. We are very proud to hear that everything went as planned and you enjoyed your stay. I am glad you experienced the quickest means of transportation in Davis....the bicycles not only get you to your destination but allow you to appreciate and see the sights of this great community. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit......
Sincerely, Marisa Schaffer

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Hallmark Inn makes an effort to be friendly to UC Davis families. They had a table set up and parent orientation, and seemed decent, so I made a reservation for move-in weekend. The facility is nice. Reminded me a bit of Europe. It was hard to find at night with all the construction going on. The room was large and although it was near a railroad, we barely noticed that. The desk personnel were very cordial. Parking was not good. The night we arrived, there was a small bus parked in a non-space that made it difficult to get by. The following night, the place was packed and it was hard to find a spot. Location is great with lots of shops and restaurants in easy walking distance. Also an easy drive to the camps. Wifi is free, but was so slow I couldn't check on freeway traffic before leaving. The breakfast had decent food, but the seating arrangement was strange, as if the breakfast setup was an afterthought. Hopefully the remodeling will address this.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new building are close to the railroad, but the noise is hardly noticeable.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

On behalf of the entire Hallmark Inn, Davis team I would like to say "Thank you" for taking the time to share your experience. During the transition of our F Street side to include a grand entrance, retail shops and upgraded food/beverage services we have extended our breakfast seating to the lounge and outside patio area. Once it is all completed seating will be in the new Cafe as well as some outdoor area along the new F Street scape. We are also upgrading our internet and television service to provide quicker speed and more options. Thank you for staying with us while we undergo these changes and we look forward to the opportunity of a future stay.......
Sincerely- Marisa Schaffer

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We could not find a room in Davis, CA the one night we were going to be there, but a couple of days before our trip, somone canceled and we booked a room at the Hallmark Inn. When we got to town, we found out why it was so busy! It was Homecoming with all the fun festivities involved. My husband wanted to visit UC - Davis' new viticulture/enology facilities and had a great experience there. The room was fine, not memorable, but I do not remember any bad things about it. The location was wonderful and the staff went out of their way to accomodate. There was a wine/pretzel reception that was a welcome respite. We would stay again. We found a hopping German restaurant for dinner, and people watched - it was pajama night for the students.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

On behalf of the entire team I would like to say "Thank you" for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel. I am glad we were able to accommodate getting you in.......it was one of many fun weekends full of activity in our great town. Looking forward to the opportunity of a future stay.......Sincerely- Marisa Schaffer

Reviewed September 18, 2012

This hotel provides great service because its reception staff is the greatest. They have good wifi and are patient in helping Mac system users log in. They provide complementary Managers Reception in the evening, and a breakfast buffet. The breakfast is excellent. I love their oatmeal (real oatmeal, not instant!) while my husband loves their waffles and omelets. We have learned to ask about where the room is, as their junior suites front on the side facing the railroad, and have doubled double pane windows which cut the noise immensely, but the only windows are in the bedroom. Had we been there for just a night, the lack of a window in the lounge would not have bothered me. The amenities of this hotel are great. One of the most beautiful public art murals is above the outdoor pool. There is a mounted vanity mirror so I can view the sides and back of my head--what an idea. Why don't all hotels provide this? Ask which rooms have leather chairs both at the desk, and leather chair with otttoman. I love these! Davis is a both a bicycle and pedestrian friendly city. You can rent bicycles right at the hotel! There are a number of great restaurants nearby, including Seasons which is in the same building though there is no entrance from the hotel. While some hotels specialize in single night customers, the Hallmark makes a special effort to make repeated stays pleasant. The rooms are spacious enough so I never feel boxed in, and leave the hotel just to find a comfortable place to read, watch tv or talk on my cell phone. The bedding, etc. are fresh and expensive-looking. (Oh, and for those for whom this matters, the toilet paper is standard, not the incredibly thin stuff.) Every staff person you encounter smiles and is helpful!

Room Tip: Ask for what you need. They work to make it happen. They are renovating,so there may be some noise/d...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

On behalf of the entire Hallmark Inn, Davis team I would like to say "Thank you" for taking the time to share your wonderful comments on your experience at the hotel. We are proud to be included as your "Favorite" place to stay when in Davis. I am extremely pleased that you have not felt the disruptions from the renovation as the team is diligently working to keep the operations running as smoothly as possible. Thank you also for sharing the extra tips for other travelers and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Davis.......Sincerely- Marisa Schaffer

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I spent one night here. The staff were very helpful and quickly checked me in the tiny lobby. They were having some sort of reception, and stated that there was free food and drinks if I wished to join. I declined, but they had a live band and seemed very festive. The hotel is a little shabby and dingy, but my room was clean, and the beds were OK. I left for a bit for a walk and dinner, and returning to my room, I had no water. None. I called the front desk and they sent someone to investigate, and eventually turned the water back on. They continue to remodel apparently, and for some reason while I was out they needed to turn off the water. Hopefully the finish their remodel rapidly. Wonderful location downtown.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

On behalf of the entire Hallmark Inn, Davis team I would like to say "Thank you" for taking the time to share your experience. You arrival coincided with our Annual Welcome Reception which we do each September in conjunction with the 2nd Friday ArtAbout in Davis. This is our way to say "Thank You" to the community members, guests and students for utilizing our facility. As you commented we are under renovation and unfortunately during your stay there was a slight occurrence resulting in water loss that we were able to correct as quickly as possible.
The transformation of our F Street side to include a grand entrance, retail shops and upgraded food/beverage services will definitely take us from shabby to chic. We look forward to the opportunity of a future stay.......Sincerely- Marisa Schaffer

Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Hallmark Inn is a great choice if you are staying in Davis. It's walking distance to everything in town, including a great restaurant next door (Paesano's). Hotel has free parking (underground garage), free Wi-Fi, and we also got free drink coupons and free breakfast with our stay. Nice pool and outdoor sitting area, and there's a little bar with a very friendly bartender. All of the hotel staff we encountered were friendly and professional, including the people working at breakfast and the front desk employees.

The breakfast is excellent. Much better than the standard free fare offered by most of the chain hotels, and comparable to the options that would normall cost $10-20 per person extra at nicer hotels. They make fresh omelettes to order, and have a good variety of pastries, fruit, waffles, oatmeal, etc. The mini cinammon buns are delicious. And their coffee was much better than expected.

The rooms are a little out-dated, but they're functional and nice enough. No fridge or microwave. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. The AC unit is extremely loud, and didn't do a great job of keeping the room at a constant temperature. Another minor annoyance .. there are automatic lights in the bathroom, so the (extremely bright) light comes on as soon as you walk into the bathroom. That's convenient for the person who needs to use the bathroom at 3 AM, but less ideal for others in the room. Finally, the hotel didn't change our towels during our stay. I assume this is an effort to save money and help the environment, but I prefer the option of leaving the towels on the rack to reuse and dropping them on the floor to be replaced.

There was some serious construction going on when we visited (Labor Day 2012), and the noise at times when coming and going from the hotel was awful. Fortunately, we could barely hear the noise from our room so it wasn't too disruptive to the stay.

Overall, a great hotel and highly recommended!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building (connected to the lobby) may be farther from the construction.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank furf88

On behalf of the entire Hallmark Inn, Davis team I would like to say "Thank you" for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel. You mentioned exactly why we are rated as a "Walkers Paradise" on walkscore.com. We have several energy efficient programs in place for the lighting you mentioned and the towels/linens but at any time you want them changed the staff would be happy to do so. As you observed we are under a major renovation transforming our F Street side to include a grand entrance, retail shops and upgraded food/beverage services. I am happy none of that disrupted you in your room as we are working diligently with the construction team to minimize noise/disruptions to the hours when guests are away (9-4pm) enjoying the city. Thank you again and we look forward to the opportunity of a future stay.......Sincerely- Marisa Schaffer

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hallmark Inn for a extended duration while I was in between moving. The Hallmark Inn was a great place to make a temporary home. The staff members were all very welcoming and very helpful. I quickly got to know a few on a first name basis. With the corporate world taking over the hotel market, I like being able to go to a place like the Hallmark Inn which provide the staff members who care about the well being of the business, while still offering most of the amenities of a larger chain such as a pool and free Wi-Fi.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

On behalf of the entire Hallmark Inn, Davis team I would like to say "Thank you" for your wonderful comments regarding your stay. It is our mission to make every guest feel as comfortable as possible while they are away from their respective homes....and it appears we accomplished that for you. Looking forward to the opportunity of a future stay.......Sincerely- Marisa Schaffer