“OUR FAVORITE! WE STAY HERE WHENEVER WE VISIT DAVIS”

Hallmark Inn at UC Davis
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Davis
“OUR FAVORITE! WE STAY HERE WHENEVER WE VISIT DAVIS”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This hotel provides great service because its reception staff is the greatest. They have good wifi and are patient in helping Mac system users log in. They provide complementary Managers Reception in the evening, and a breakfast buffet. The breakfast is excellent. I love their oatmeal (real oatmeal, not instant!) while my husband loves their waffles and omelets. We have learned to ask about where the room is, as their junior suites front on the side facing the railroad, and have doubled double pane windows which cut the noise immensely, but the only windows are in the bedroom. Had we been there for just a night, the lack of a window in the lounge would not have bothered me. The amenities of this hotel are great. One of the most beautiful public art murals is above the outdoor pool. There is a mounted vanity mirror so I can view the sides and back of my head--what an idea. Why don't all hotels provide this? Ask which rooms have leather chairs both at the desk, and leather chair with otttoman. I love these! Davis is a both a bicycle and pedestrian friendly city. You can rent bicycles right at the hotel! There are a number of great restaurants nearby, including Seasons which is in the same building though there is no entrance from the hotel. While some hotels specialize in single night customers, the Hallmark makes a special effort to make repeated stays pleasant. The rooms are spacious enough so I never feel boxed in, and leave the hotel just to find a comfortable place to read, watch tv or talk on my cell phone. The bedding, etc. are fresh and expensive-looking. (Oh, and for those for whom this matters, the toilet paper is standard, not the incredibly thin stuff.) Every staff person you encounter smiles and is helpful!

Room Tip: Ask for what you need. They work to make it happen. They are renovating,so there may be some noise/d...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HallmarkInn, General Manager at Hallmark Inn at UC Davis, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
On behalf of the entire Hallmark Inn, Davis team I would like to say "Thank you" for taking the time to share your wonderful comments on your experience at the hotel. We are proud to be included as your "Favorite" place to stay when in Davis. I am extremely pleased that you have not felt the disruptions from the renovation as the team is diligently working to keep the operations running as smoothly as possible. Thank you also for sharing the extra tips for other travelers and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Davis.......Sincerely- Marisa Schaffer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Bishop, California
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I spent one night here. The staff were very helpful and quickly checked me in the tiny lobby. They were having some sort of reception, and stated that there was free food and drinks if I wished to join. I declined, but they had a live band and seemed very festive. The hotel is a little shabby and dingy, but my room was clean, and the beds were OK. I left for a bit for a walk and dinner, and returning to my room, I had no water. None. I called the front desk and they sent someone to investigate, and eventually turned the water back on. They continue to remodel apparently, and for some reason while I was out they needed to turn off the water. Hopefully the finish their remodel rapidly. Wonderful location downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
On behalf of the entire Hallmark Inn, Davis team I would like to say "Thank you" for taking the time to share your experience. You arrival coincided with our Annual Welcome Reception which we do each September in conjunction with the 2nd Friday ArtAbout in Davis. This is our way to say "Thank You" to the community members, guests and students for utilizing our facility. As you commented we are under renovation and unfortunately during your stay there was a slight occurrence resulting in water loss that we were able to correct as quickly as possible.
The transformation of our F Street side to include a grand entrance, retail shops and upgraded food/beverage services will definitely take us from shabby to chic. We look forward to the opportunity of a future stay.......Sincerely- Marisa Schaffer
Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Hallmark Inn is a great choice if you are staying in Davis. It's walking distance to everything in town, including a great restaurant next door (Paesano's). Hotel has free parking (underground garage), free Wi-Fi, and we also got free drink coupons and free breakfast with our stay. Nice pool and outdoor sitting area, and there's a little bar with a very friendly bartender. All of the hotel staff we encountered were friendly and professional, including the people working at breakfast and the front desk employees.

The breakfast is excellent. Much better than the standard free fare offered by most of the chain hotels, and comparable to the options that would normall cost $10-20 per person extra at nicer hotels. They make fresh omelettes to order, and have a good variety of pastries, fruit, waffles, oatmeal, etc. The mini cinammon buns are delicious. And their coffee was much better than expected.

The rooms are a little out-dated, but they're functional and nice enough. No fridge or microwave. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. The AC unit is extremely loud, and didn't do a great job of keeping the room at a constant temperature. Another minor annoyance .. there are automatic lights in the bathroom, so the (extremely bright) light comes on as soon as you walk into the bathroom. That's convenient for the person who needs to use the bathroom at 3 AM, but less ideal for others in the room. Finally, the hotel didn't change our towels during our stay. I assume this is an effort to save money and help the environment, but I prefer the option of leaving the towels on the rack to reuse and dropping them on the floor to be replaced.

There was some serious construction going on when we visited (Labor Day 2012), and the noise at times when coming and going from the hotel was awful. Fortunately, we could barely hear the noise from our room so it wasn't too disruptive to the stay.

Overall, a great hotel and highly recommended!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building (connected to the lobby) may be farther from the construction.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank furf88
On behalf of the entire Hallmark Inn, Davis team I would like to say "Thank you" for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel. You mentioned exactly why we are rated as a "Walkers Paradise" on walkscore.com. We have several energy efficient programs in place for the lighting you mentioned and the towels/linens but at any time you want them changed the staff would be happy to do so. As you observed we are under a major renovation transforming our F Street side to include a grand entrance, retail shops and upgraded food/beverage services. I am happy none of that disrupted you in your room as we are working diligently with the construction team to minimize noise/disruptions to the hours when guests are away (9-4pm) enjoying the city. Thank you again and we look forward to the opportunity of a future stay.......Sincerely- Marisa Schaffer
Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hallmark Inn for a extended duration while I was in between moving. The Hallmark Inn was a great place to make a temporary home. The staff members were all very welcoming and very helpful. I quickly got to know a few on a first name basis. With the corporate world taking over the hotel market, I like being able to go to a place like the Hallmark Inn which provide the staff members who care about the well being of the business, while still offering most of the amenities of a larger chain such as a pool and free Wi-Fi.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
On behalf of the entire Hallmark Inn, Davis team I would like to say "Thank you" for your wonderful comments regarding your stay. It is our mission to make every guest feel as comfortable as possible while they are away from their respective homes....and it appears we accomplished that for you. Looking forward to the opportunity of a future stay.......Sincerely- Marisa Schaffer
Colorado
Reviewed August 6, 2012

If you want to stay close to the Davis campus you basically get to choose between the Hyatt and Hallmark. The staff at Hallmark is most excellent. The free breakfast is very good. The location is excellent close to the campus and downtown Davis. They have free parking and free WiFi. They were working on the hotel but that work did not interfere with my stay. The room was clean and fairly basic with some issues (i.e. the sink's faucet sprays the water out instead of what is normal, the toilet wouldn't flush at times, the ironing board and iron were awful, there is one outlet at the desk which is impossible with all the gadgets that need recharging . . . ). One note . . . I thought I was reserving online at the Hallmark website but found upon check-in I had reserved through Expedia. I paid $20 more per night through Expedia than I would have paid had I made the reservation directly with Hallmark.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
On behalf of the entire team I would like to say "Thank you" for taking the time to share your experience at the Hallmark Inn, Davis. As you observed we are under renovation which includes our attention to handling the issues you addressed. You can find some great deals that are available online &/or by calling us directly where we extend special considerations to Aggie Parents. Looking forward to the opportunity of a future stay.......Sincerely- Marisa Schaffer
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed July 23, 2012

After much research, we booked at the Hallmark Inn for my daughter's orientation days at UCD. The room let for $130+ per night compared to $170 at Hyatt Place(my preference given it's location on campus). The Hallmark has allegedly undergone some renovaitons, but it still presents as a bit drab. For starters, the hallway upstairs is sweltering. Our street-view window in our room was smudgy and dirty, inside and out. The door to out room was askew and near the bottom, I could see the hallway carpet from inside the room, when the door was shut and locked. It seems like they chose an odd(small) size TV for the large wall it was mounted on. The TV seemed a bit lost and almost comical on the wall. Overall, aside from the window, the room was clean. It just seemed like they took shortcuts when furnishing the room. The bed linens were pretty, but not soft, and the bed was comfy. On a positive note, the omlette station at breakfast was a nice surprise and staff was super friendly(aside from front desk staff). At check in, the young man was super grumpy and at check out, the woman was rolling her eyes while obviously taking a complaint over the phone. Overall, I have to say that this hotel struck me as an $80/night value, NOT $130+ I will be trying another hotel for Parent's Weekend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
HallmarkInn, General Manager at Hallmark Inn at UC Davis, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay and I apologize if we did not meet with your expectations. I can assure you we have not taken short cuts with respect to the upgrades on the hotel including the 32" LCD TVs mounted in each guest room. I have addressed with the appropriate departments your concerns regarding the shortcomings. Please be assured it is the intent of the entire team to insure the accommodations, amenities and environment are not only well maintained and clean but valued by our guests. Looking forward to the opportunity of a future visit. Sincerely- Marisa Schaffer
So-So Cal
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I've stayed at the Hallmark several times in the past, and was disappointed at the condition of the hotel this stay. It appears renovations are underway, as the "F" street entrance is closed off and some construction has begun. But you waited too long, Hallmark. The hotel had a generally shabby feel, and I absolutely wouldn't stay there (especially for the rate) until its gone through top-to-bottom.

Room Tip: Choose a room someplace else until they get the place up to snuff.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Hallmark Inn at UC Davis, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Mr. Drozda-
I am sorry if you were disappointed with your recent stay as I noticed it was during one of our special event non discounted weekends. I am a bit confused though regarding your comments that we we have waited too long on our renovation since from your last stay in 2008 to your recent one this past June we have completely redone the guest rooms, public space and enhanced our offerings. In fact in March of this year we completed painting and installing new carpet in all of the guest rooms and hallways. I hope you are able to find a hotel that better suits your needs and expectations.
Sincerely-