“Service needs improvement, food was only OK”

Preethi Indian Cuisine
Ranked #39 of 208 Restaurants in Davis
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have eaten here 4-5 times in the last few months and on a good day it is quite good. Tonight was not a very good experience at all and makes me less inclined to go back. If you go, go on off hours when you might get better service and attention to the preparation of your food.

I was there with a friend tonight and after we were seated, we almost had to mug the water boy 20 minutes later to try and order food. By then we had no Papadum or water. The place was reasonably full, but at least come say hi, bring water and the Papadum.

Probably because the kitchen was stressed, the food was only OK this time. The Rasam was really salty and when my friend let them know that she was told that it was served on the buffet at lunch and no one else complained. Really?

Not recommended if there are more then a few folks there as the service and food quality seem to go downhill FAST. That is too bad as they can make good food.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Tandoori chicken came out steaming and sizzling, juicy and tender. Lal Maars was less spicy than I would like. I asked for Indian Hot; I need to emphasize the Hot next time.

Service was efficient and friendly, our water glasses were always filled. We even got two mint sauces and extra-naans without asking, because the waiter thought the first order was slightly burnt.

The room was cheerful and vibrant with soft mural. Definitely a place to dine when downtown.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

I went there with my husband and baby and had chicken masala dinner. I had a small hair in my curry of the day which I dismissed but then then I went to eat my chicken masala I pulled out I super long black hair. I was done then. I call the waitress over and showed her the hairs she took it away and brought me another. We get the bill and the charged me for the hairy food that I had to wait to be remade. Will never go back. Bad business.

1  Thank Farieberry
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Hands down the best Himalayan food I have had in California. Service is great! and the Vegan Thali is to die for! I have been there three times for dinner tried different entrees and each entrée has different flavor! OMG! Their entrée size is so big it’s enough for two people. Their food is real Indian food! Hell. Yes. I'm coming back. With a gorgeous atmosphere, great staff and wonderfully priced rockin' food!

1  Thank Vivian95606
Reviewed December 15, 2011

We really enjoy Indian food and recently ate at Bombay Dreams for the first time. Our experience was wildly uneven. Bombay Dreams' atmosphere and food are decently standard, sandwiched in between casual and formal. We enjoyed its ambiance and food, although nothing was so remarkable that it jumped out at us. If not for the service we received, we'd probably return. The key words though are "If not for the service." The hostess who seated us was charming, engaging and friendly. However, our server neglectful of our table, on an evening when the dining room was almost empty, and bordered on rudeness when interacting with us--almost a polar opposite of our hostess. Sadly, with many options available, the service we experienced at Bombay Dreams was enough that we will in the future patronize its competitors.