“Nice hotel”

Hyatt Place UC Davis
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Davis
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We stopped on our way from Tahoe to San Francisco. It was convenient, clean, and friendly Downtown Davis is 5 minutes away and it has many restaurants. Their breakfast was very nice,

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed October 14, 2010

I had traveled to a conference on the UC Davis Campus. I had called in my reservation to the hotel directly as the conference rate was good only for two days and I needed to stay three and did not want to end up making two reservations and have the chance of being asked to move for my third day. I should have known it was still going to get messed up after reading the reviews here- because it did. When I arrived I was told they were expecting me on the third day and didn't have me for the previous two days and that they were booked solid!

They did find me a room rather fast however. It was nice and large and well laid out. They are using compact florescent light bulbs in their rooms (something we are all going to need to live with) and so it does take a while for the lights in the bathroom to heat up to provide enough light.

There is no real restaurant at the hotel. They have a kitchen you can order from. I did not do that but walked to downtown for dinner each evening where there are wonderful local establishments.

Comp breakfast is cold only. If you want something hot you must order it from the kitchen. I did not do that. I did like they have Starbucks and did order specialty coffee from them.

Most of the employees are students- although not all from Davis. They were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms are new; king-size bed was comfortable. Free internet.

Only snag -- hotel faces railway, so gets noise from train. And my room overlooked the main entrance -- somehow, I felt and heard a vibration all night.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Okay. Same thing. My wife and I show up at 3:30 p.m. on 9/19/10, with our daughter (who we were dropping off as a Freshman at UCD), and the knucklehead at the desk informs me that "unfortunately, we don't have a room for you."

I stared, waiting for the joke. I said, "you've got to be kidding me. I booked this room 90 days ago." Then a pseudo-manager stepped up (puke-brown polo shirt and name tag)and advised us that the hotel was "over-booked, " and that she would be directing us to another hotel "up the road a bit."

I said, that's BS, I booked a hotel room here, on campus, for a REASON. She advised that unfortunately, this happens "all the time, anytime there is a big event. Expedia, Orbitz, and others result in over-booking. Plus gold and platinum members were displacing other guests."

I responded that I didn't care about the "gold and platinum members" or anyone else that took 40 seconds to fill out a membership card, and that I didn't book through a second party, and that if this happens "all of the time," then it obviously needed to be corrected. The pseudo-manager then advised that the Hyatt was paying for the room "up the road" (Vacaville, 40 mintue round-trip from UCD), so we were being compensated.

My wife said that she "appreciated that they were taking care of us," whereas the pseudo-manager once again put her large foot in her larger mouth and replied "ma'am, do you think I enjoy doing this?" To which my wife replied, no....and I was being sincere. To which then I replied, "she's being sincere and appreciative, but I'm not."

I said I don't care about a "free room" or some token room service food item, I needed to be on campus due to requirements of checking my Freshman daughter into the university. Which is why I booked the room 90 days ago. I said that this is Hospitality 101 (which apparently no one at Hyatt ever attended), and they flunked, in a major way.

The truth is that Hyatt Place (everywhere other than Davis) has been a solid hotel, which I've patronized 4-5 times in the last year. But that was the most ridiculous treatment I've ever received at any hotel, EVER. I won't be back.

Here's a clue for you, pseudo-manager: when you screw a customer, you keep your mouth SHUT, and don't try to defend what you're doing, or become defensive, or tell them "gold and platinums" are more highly regarded, or that we're being adequately compensated. You keep your mouth SHUT, and listen with your ears to what we have to say, and apologize, and hope that you didn't lose a customer.

Hospitality 101.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
9  Thank dgreener
GMROB5265, General Manager at Hyatt Place UC Davis, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on our hotel. Your information will be used by the General Manager as a training tool tool for the hotel staff. We strive to provide the best experience for every guest on every visit. I apologize that we did not deliver the service that you derserve and Iassure the team will learn from this experience and valuable feedback.

Hyatt Place management.

Reviewed September 19, 2010

We had a confirmed reservation for one night, so that we would not have to drive 60 miles back to SF Bay Area after dinner with our law student son in downtown Davis. When we attempted to check in at around 5:30 p.m., the clerk told us the hotel was full and did not have a room for us, despite seeing our printed confirmation sheet and our guarantee through America Express. She offered us a voucher for a Comfort Inn in another city, and later that evening when we arrived there, they also had no room for us.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Thomas D
Reviewed September 3, 2010

This was a really terrific hotel. My extended family and I were there to attend a wedding, and pretty much all the out of town guests were booked at this hotel.

It was new, clean, and the rooms were huge and comfortable. There was free wi-fi in the room (unlike some other hotels which charge about $15 per day), a comfy desk and chair, a huge L-shaped sofa that folded out to an extra bed, a counter space with coffee pot and refrigerator underneath and a large big screen TV. The staff was friendly and competent, and there was a free continental breakfast buffet with lots of options. You could order more complicated food, but we found it wasn't really necessary. The pool area was clean and not crowded with plenty of chairs, umbrellas and clean towels.

We only had one issue while there, and it was that there was only one elevator running for a while. This made for a long wait sometimes, and then *that* one broke. They did get it repaired, but that was the only negative in our whole stay.

I will say that the hotel is part of the UC Davis grounds, and if you have time, take a stroll. There are really beautiful gardens to tour with lots of great specimen plants. Many are labeled, and as an East Coast gardener, it was fun to learn about the West Coast plants. The trails are paved for walking or running, so we didn't try the gym at the hotel, which was also new and clean.

I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Stayed at the Hyatt for UC Davis family orientation for new students. The hotel is brand new. Staff was very friendly and attentive. Rooms were large and clean with very comfortable beds. The free wireless internet was a great as was the "electronics station" attached to the television. Very easy to plug in peripherals such as portable DVD players, video game systems, etc. The 42" high def plasma television was a nice plus. The hotel is actually located on the UC Davis campus. As we will have a student here for the next four years, we will be back often!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family